1,016 results
All reviews night hike howler monkeys unique experience each morning juan carlos coffee delivered sloth house santa clara costa rica la fortuna wrap around porch great hosts free night plantains proyecto asis road noise small waterfall
Reviewed May 15, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Tree Houses for 6 nights the end of April/beginning of May. Everything was totally seamless from the time we emailed Lucy and Mark (the managers) to schedule our reservation, transportation and excursions until the time we were driven back to the airport in San Jose by Jody and Wilson (the private transport company listed on the Tree Houses website). We booked everything in advance with Lucy and Mark via email. All we had to do was show up; everything was taken care of for us.

We stayed in tree house #1. We loved it. You could feel it sway slightly in the breeze. The wood is just gorgeous. It’s up about 2 stories. There’s a covered porch on the front with a picnic table. It has a great vantage point to look out over the jungle. It has a bedroom with a full size bed, end tables, a small refrigerator, coffee maker, mugs and coffee/sugar/creamer. There is a window air conditioner in the bedroom area. That room had glass windows so you could close off the doors to the bathroom areas and not lose any of the cold air. We only slept with it on half of the time; it was too much fun listening to all of the bugs, birds and the occasional monkey. An oscillating fan and reading lights were provided as well. You had the choice of having your linens changed and fresh towels brought everyday. We chose not to in order to be eco-friendly. However, we were asked daily if we would like new. The shower was in one room off the bedroom, the sink and toilet in another room. A ladder led up to the loft area, which had another full size mattress. The loft has screen windows. One night we sat up there and watched the amazing lightening during a thunderstorm. I can’t imagine any rainstorm comparing to one in the jungle.

There is a binder with helpful tips and restaurant recommendations and maps of the area in the room. It was invaluable. It gave you information about catching buses, car rentals and taxis. We had the best fried chicken one night at a little place up the road. I don’t remember the name, but it’s in the book! We hadn’t arranged for a car before we got there, but decided that would be the most convenient since we had excursions planned every day. Raeann (the owner) called the Mapache rental place and arranged for a car to be dropped off at the Tree Houses for us. When we got there she went over all of our excursions and mapped out where we needed to be and when. She was very thorough and gave suggestions of good places to stop for food and souvenirs.

I think one of my favorite parts about being at the Tree Houses was breakfast. A traditional Costa Rican breakfast was served every morning on the patio of the main house. The food was so delicious. I’m sad that I didn’t think to take pictures of it. I loved sitting there watching all the hummingbirds flit back and forth. I miss the resident dogs Bejuca, Mini B and Si Si. Si Si my lap misses you! And of course chatting with Raeann and her niece Jennie was great. It felt like I’d been there and known them forever. They made everything so personal.

This is the only vacation I’ve had where I’ve felt homesick for my vacation place after I got home. I highly recommend the Tree Houses and their owner/management staff and employees. It was such an amazing experience. The recommendations for transportation, excursions, food and shopping were spot on. I can’t wait to go back! Thank you so much Raeann and Jennie. We miss you.

Rachel & Sean
Wisconsin

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RanneR
Reviewed May 9, 2010

In April 2010, I stayed 5 nights in the Tree House Hotel near La Fortuna. The rooms are about 3 stories up in the tree tops, with shower, A/C, bath, small refrig, and balcony. Clean, comfortable, delightfully peaceful as the wind gently sways the tree house. The waterfall is about a 30 minute walk away, with a small pool and stream and gazebo. Breakfasts were excellent, and the managers/owners are tremendously helpful with directions, booking excursions, and friendliness. I recommend renting a car in order to reach La Fortuna, from which most trips leave, and which is 30 minutes of easy and picturesque driving away. Many wonderful experiences are nearby- white water rafting, canopy gliding, nature tours with hanging bridges, hot springs, volcano, horseback riding, streams to play in, etc. Good restaurants are nearby, and La Fortuna is a charming town with friendly people. The Tree House hotel provided the setting and personal support for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank elr99
Reviewed April 26, 2010

Absolutely amazing!!! From the time I made my initial contact with the hotel (and before I even decided to stay there) Mark and Lucy wrote me long informative emails to help me plan my trip.... giving me information, suggestions, and advise. I have never experienced customer service like my husband and I experienced while we were guests of this hotel. It is very private and remote, great location. Walking trails to waterfalls were amazing, and we spotted monkeys along the way. The rooms themselves could not have been better, you felt like you were really in the middle of a jungle! I can't stress enough how wonderful of an experience this was, and I would reccomend to anyone looking for an amazing and memorable experience,,,,

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Its been a perfect experience. The place is wonderful, the little houses are completly charming, although i thought that the houses would be higher and more in a wild location. Anyway,the host have been more than wonderful and dedicated to make their guest enjoy Costa Rica.

We didn't have a car, so we used tours to pick us up to La Fortuna, and it worked just great. My favorite tour : rio celeste walk!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We stayed for three nights and it really was fantastic, we have 3 children aged 15, 10 and 7 and they loved it. Mark and Lucy were great, they sorted out our trips, one was a canopy tour at the base of Arenal Volcano, the other was a Volcano tour and viewing at night, which was out of this world. Followed by a swim in the hot springs and dinner. The next day we went white water rafting. All of these were really well organised and the people were all really friendly. The breakfast was out of this world, it was really nice to try difference foods and it was delicious. The tree house was really great, very clean and comfortable - you could not ask for any more. We definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family