See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 26, 2016 via mobile

I can't believe this is called a hostel. I guess it's the open air shared kitchen? This place was beautiful, a hidden oasis right in the middle of downtown La Fortuna. Go for the private room (all have private baths) it's really nice. The little pool and shaded hammocked garden is wonderful after a day of hiking, etc.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed March 25, 2016

Hands down, this is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. I'm actually not sure what made it a hostel other than being cheaper and having access to a shared kitchen. Our private room was hotel-grade, in my opinion. The lady at the front desk, Lain, was very helpful and personable. The outdoor space with beautiful with hammocks for relaxing and a bar. It didn't have a pool, but they give you a bracelet for access to their other place: Arenal Hostel Resort. That place is possibly even nicer, and you can use their bar, pool, and outdoor space. Plus, they have an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet every morning for $6 USD. It was pretty decent!

Room Tip: I would go for a private room, but I didn't see the dorms. I'm sure they're nice too.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank CBallach
Reviewed February 11, 2016 via mobile

Right downtown, beautifully landscaped common area, garden with hammocks, small pool, bar/restaurant, $5 buffet breakfast. Very friendly staff who can help you with any tours but don't push bookings. Stayed in a 6 bed dorm, it was clean, with hot water. Main Street is noisy at night, but that's the tradeoff to be right in the centre of downtown, everything nearby. Highly recommend!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2016

This hostel was good, they did have our reservations mixed up, we were suppose to be staying in the female dorm but they had us in the mixed dorm. We stayed in the mixed dorm for one night and the other 2 in the female dorms. They gave us a free breakfast for the mix up. The mixed dorms are nicer and less crowded then the female dorms. We should have just stayed in the mixed dorms. It was cleaner with more air flow and the wash room was 10 times better. The female dorms were extremely crowded and had ZERO air flow and also dirty. there was 2 showers and they barely gave out a trickle of water.
The hostel itself was very nice with fun atmosphere. It has a bar and small food selection, pool, and hammocks. They also had free WiFi as well. They had happy hour from 8 to 9 everyday which was good for cheaper drinks. I would definitely stay here again but would pay the extra for the private room

Room Tip: go with the private room
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2015 via mobile

We get there and a beleaguered yet nice woman says we have no reservation through Expedia. Somehow that gets fixed. Ok, fine. Rooms were kind of shabby, but it was the only place available and price was low.

Here's where my experience got bad:

A) Woman was super pushy to book tour. We booked a "2-10pm" tour that was over at 7, completely sucked and was priced 2x what I could have gotten in town. And she pushed hard for it too

B) There was no room the last night but she said there might be a cancellation. She told us shed book us another place just in case. She told us "go on your tour, I'll take care of everything". We get back and it's negative on both counts.

We had to sleep outside until we left for PV in the morning.

Bad management, pushy ripoff tours. Crappy facilities. 8 min walk from town. Low prices a plus, but Id opt for better value places in town unless this is the ONLY available place (as it was for us, and likely with good reason)

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends