See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 9, 2018 via mobile

We had 34 people and booked the entire hotel. It could not have been better. Congrats to Gustavo and the entire staff for making our week in Cartago awesome! From the time we got off of our bus everything was as smooth as possible!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2018 via mobile

We were traveling with 3 other couples. When we were showed our cabins,we asked if we could be located closer together. The office checked into it and was able to accommodate us.
Particularly want to call out Edgar. He saw me reading on my front porch at 5:30 in the morning. He walked down with a cup and a pot of coffee and poured me a cup!! I was thrilled and that is what I call excellent customer service!! (The restaurant did not open until 6).
I would definitely stay here again! The hotel is small and clean. It cools down at night. Heaters are available. Several restaurants are close by. We drove to Irazu Volcano from there! All of the staff were very helpful!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2018

A very nice small hotel with very nice Cottages. We stayed in a rustic cottage which had two twin beds and was really spacious. There is a small heater which was perfect to make the cottage pleasant before going to bed. We used one bed and used the other blankets to have it warm during the whole night. We felt like camping but with much more comfort. The breakfast was delicious and the employees very friendly. The view from the breakfast table to Cartago just great and their garden is a treasure. We really enjoyed our stay at Grandpas Hotel. One day we did a trip to the volcano Irazu (about 30 min drive) and the other day we did Guayabo National Monument. One way off road and back via Turrialba both ways very nice. Finally we also visited the Basilika Nuestra Senora de los Angeles

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed January 31, 2017

While traveling to Cartago by myself to have major dental surgery. I was trying to find a hotel near my doctor, but this was the busy season and Grandpas was booked , I decided to call . A voice answer the phone in perfect English "Gustavo" after explaining my plans , and need stay for 7 days. he said that he could accommodate me for 5 of the 7days but the following weekend was booked solid, we agreed to the 5 days. Two days later I met a young man with the biggest smile. Gustavo made me feel at home right away. I cannot go into every detail, but I was in pretty bad shape after surgery. Gustavo and his staff Fernando and Edgar went way beyond what any hotel would do. Their caring and compassion was truly overwhelming. Truly Grateful.

Room Tip: cabin rooms beautiful veiws
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2017

Grandpas is a great hotel! The hotel is efficiently ran by Gustavo Fernandez, and the staff is just amazing (efficient and always helpful)

The hotel is located on the road to Irazu volcano. The rooms (huts, cabins and suites) are very comfy and the views to Cartago city and Orosi Valley are superb.

This is a very nice place to enjoy for a typical Costa Rican vacation: full nature + fresh clean air + great views + accessibility to go biking and hiking

Enjoy!