All reviewscosta ricathermal waterhoneymoon suitebeautiful propertysunday morningthe wi fimaster suiteromantic getawaychickenhiking trailsout of the waypollopoolsgroundsbirdsnaturemountains
Reviewed May 29, 2018

I took my family for a one night stay for rest and relaxation. The property was beautiful and the staff very friendly. We stayed in the Presidential Suite to accommodate 5 people. It was right in front of the thermal pool which was nice. On Sunday morning we decided to take a dip in the thermal pool before breakfast. I took my 6 and 8 year olds to the pool. There was only one other person in the pool which was a man who looked to be in his late 70's. Once we were in the pool we realized he was naked. My children were shocked and wanted to stay as far away from him as possible. After a few more minutes other men and women around the same age showed up and proceeded to strip down to their birthday suits and walk around the pool and get in. This was extremely shocking to my children and we were very uncomfortable. We immediately left the pool and went back to our room. We called the desk to complain and they agreed that this should not be happening and they would immediately take care of it. That is not what happened. The nudists continued their frolicking while another woman walked around the pool beating on some kind of drum. This went on for the next hour and a half. As they all left the pool they did not even cover themselves while walking to their rooms.

If this is something that does not bother you or your small children, then it is a great place. If 70-80-year-old nudity bothers you then I would advise selecting another resort.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Eduardo C, Marketing at Hotel Rio Perlas Spa & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2018

Dear ChrisGCR:
Thank you for your stay with us and taking the time to write your review of our property
Sorry for the delay in our response but we were investigating what happened with this case.
Please accept our most sincere apologies from management, we did not know that this group of older people was nudist.
It's the first time something like this happened to us and we hope it is the last one, we are considering taking legal action against them.

We regret that our staff was not ready to handle this unusual situation.
If you return to Costa Rica we would like to offer you accommodation in compensation for this experience.
If you would like to add something else you can write us at mercadeorioperlas@gmail.com

Reviewed March 16, 2018 via mobile

Pros - beautiful peaceful out of the way spot. Very rustic and simple facility that is beautifully groomed.

THE STAFF WAS WONDERFUL .... polite, helpful and attentive to our needs.

Cons - VERY DATED and MINIMALLY functional rooms. Windows broken and won’t close torn window screens. Ceiling fan broken and no hot water on last day of stay. The main pool was so dirty we did not want to use it.

But with all said it is a charming place that could be compared to rustic ‘summer cabin’ camping with MINIMAL amenities.

Location inconvenient to off site activities and definitely be aware that depending on your room you may have a half mile walk up a VERY steep hill every time you want to come or go. All parking is at the bottom of the hill near the office. And it’s true.... NO WiFi in the rooms..... AND NO CELL SERVICE EITHER!!! Also hope you enjoy VERY hard beds and bedding from the 1960s.

I regret selecting this as one of our stays while traveling in Costa Rica

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank BobHope D
Eduardo C, Marketing at Hotel Rio Perlas Spa & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2018

Good afternoon,we thank you for your recent visit at our hotel and for your review.
We really appreciate your comments regarding our customer service but we are very sorry to hear the rooms weren't up to the standard you've come to expect from us.
I want to extend my sincerest apologies for the negative experience that you had.

I have personally addressed this with our housekeeping staff to ensure this won't happen again.

Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

Loved the pools and hiking trails, enjoyed sitting by the lake and waterfalls. Had a delicious supper the night of our stay but the free breakfast was cold and could have used some more selections. We stayed in the cabin with the lake view which was nice except we had noisy neighbours and the walls were paper thin so would recommend a different room. Having said this we loved lounging by the pool the following day and are glad we chose this hotel!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mec456
Eduardo C, Marketing at Hotel Rio Perlas Spa & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2018

Dear guest:
Thank you for your stay with us and for sharing your experience with other travelers, we are very pleased that you enjoyed our facilities.
We apologize for the breakfast and the noisy neighbors, we would have gladly offered you another room.

Reviewed March 9, 2018 via mobile

My friend and I were visiting for two night. We were exchange students in Cartago many years ago. There were no great places to stay in Cartago center and this property looked lovely. I booked it but was concerned about the reviews I read here. I have to say, the hotel and gorgeous grounds were outstanding. We had a lovely lake view cabin, and were blown away by the beauty of the property. We found the service in the restaurant to be attentive and the staff beyond charming. Having lived in this beautiful country, we understood their culture. Because we chatted, were polite and engaged with all the people who served us, they couldn’t have nicer, friendlier or more attentive. Our room was immaculate, although we did have a few bumps getting to the room we reserved. We got it straightened out with management with polite, yet assertive persistence. We found the breakfast to be substantial and when the pancakes ran out, they asked us if we wanted some and delivered a large plate full. The only meal that was not good was the pasta but our chicken the day before was terrific, as was the Aztec soupa, and other lunch dishes. We ordered the shrimp in white wine sauce and spaghetti. Mine came with spaghetti that was really mushy, in a red sauce and over cooked, hard shrimp. Mine friend’s ordered exactly what I had and got a complete different dish, not even close! That got sent back so we couldn’t eat together. Her new one like mine was also not eatable. That was our only disappointing experience in the restaurant. I recommended this lovely place to my host family and I would love to come back.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank _saragrahammaurer

Dear Sara:
Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review of our hotel, your comments are very much valued for us,
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations but I was disappointed to read that you did not have a pleasant experience in our restaurant, we want to apologize and thank you once more for the recommendation

Reviewed March 5, 2018

Walking into our room for me was terrible ,it was over the top with air freshner. My husband didn't mind it. I aired it out a bit and dealt with it. Bring a wash cloth for you use them. Hot water can run out fast. Food is buffet dinner and breafast and was good. Now the Best- the property!!! Trails to walk, a man-made brook all the way through. The sound is soothing. Lots of birds. We went birding watching at sunrise. It has hot sulfur pool and other pools.

Stayed: February 2018
Eduardo C, Marketing at Hotel Rio Perlas Spa & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2018

Hello Lynn, thank you very much for staying with us, we regret that you will not be satisfied with the room, but we appreciate the review, and we are pleased that you enjoyed our pool and the natural beauty