All reviews the bus open air kitchen private room costa rica communal kitchen shared dorm convenient location a nice place to stay great hosts single room enjoyed my stay would stay here again common areas beds were comfortable la fortuna stayed nights san jose
Reviewed March 31, 2016 via mobile

4 gringos who don't speak spainish came to Liberia without a plan and found this awesome little hostel. The owners were so helpful with everything from finding local restaurants to helping us get a rental car. We would have been lost without their help.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2016

We spent one night here in between our vacation in Nicaragua and our flight out of Liberia. Accommodations are basic and clean... we had a private double room with shower and air conditioning (although we didn't need to use the AC), and thought it was very nice for a hostel. We met all kinds of interesting and fun fellow travelers and enjoyed sitting around chatting in the courtyard, but we also appreciated that this isn't a crazy party atmosphere -- people were in their rooms and quiet by 9:30ish. The communal cooking area worked out well, with people taking turns on the stove and sharing their leftovers.

If you're taking the bus, the location could not be more convenient -- it's literally right around the corner from the bus station, so there's no need for a cab.

We also appreciated that Jesus (one of the owners) recommended a nice morning activity for us on the day our flight left... taking a very affordable cab ride to a slot canyon where you can float in the river and look up at the canyon walls. It was just heavenly. We went with another couple so one pair could watch the stuff/gear while the other couple went swimming. Jesus was good at matching us up so we could go together.

Room Tip: Room 9 was a nice room but it faces the courtyard so it could be noisy if people are out there talking (was fine for us)
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2016

Don't stay in hostels much, but was very impressed with this one. friendly helpful staff, clean, secure, quiet (except for a dog that barked next door in the middle of the night.)
Great shower, cosy backyard area (lights out at 10pm), very secure (no one gets in or out without the attendant to unlock the gate.) Location is just 2 blocks from the main bus terminal, food courts (SODA's) and supermarket.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2016

There are two hosts in this property. Jesus made a srong point of introducing, was helpful with introducing the room and facilities. He promptly replaced a plug for the aircon that tripped repeatedly. He was helpful with information on beaches and transport.

The other host was not pleasant when I arrived. He did not say welcome or hello and did not introduce himself, did not offer a hand shake. The first words from his mouth were "Do you have a booking?" in an interrogative tone. I told him yes, with HostelWorld and that we had exchanged emails. He complained that my email was not the same as my booking name. In 67 bookings for rooms and airline seats within the last 3 months, and over a thousand bookings in the last decade, this issue has never arisen – only in Dodero. Later he claimed my booking name was different from my passport. All 3 words of 4 letters each are the same in my booking name and passport. Perhaps this host is not familiar with Australian passports or Asian names. Further on he wanted to know where I stayed the night before. At this point I didn't want to have a conversation with him but he was pushy. I gave him the general location but he wanted to know the exact property. And then he was sarcastic.

This host writes very competent, creative and persuasive replies to reviews, and I'm sure he will have a very good response why he was entitled to behave the way he did. Let me say that even if the above were true, a good host would endeavour to create some goodwill when first meeting a guest. I can also say cultural differences is something I am aware off – I've lived in Australia for 25 years and in the UK for 2, so I'm familiar with English speakers. I have also had staff and colleagues from 33 countries, including Americans, Brits and Europeans.

Another issue was the gate bell. To enter or leave the property you need to press the bell at the gate and it is VERY loud. There is no restriction on hours. On my first night it rang at about 2 am and 3 or 4 am. Even Jesus was visibly affected the next day. He did say this kind of thing only happened 3 or 4 nights a year, and there was no such issue the next night.

This is a low budget place and I've adjusted my expectations accordingly. The facilities are consistent with the price. The private room and bed are good enough. The shared bathroom was clean and functioned as expected.

Room Tip: The room in the back garden may not hear the gate bell so much.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank manitree
Reviewed February 24, 2016

we landed in Liberia at about 9pm so we decided to stay close by afterwards. by email we were offered a pickup from the airport what worked fine (20$) and took approximately 15min. our room was in the backyard with aircon but without a window (except a very small one above the door).the bathroom and shower was outside and shared and not in the very best condition but clean. the room was pretty basic but for us it was fine. the overall price range in Costa rica seems to be higher by trend than in southeast asia for example. thats why we felt that it was too pricey in the beginning.
on our flight back we tried to book here again because we were happy so far but it was fully booked (the mail correspondence was very friendly again!). the other place we stayed in was less intimate but for us a better and slightly cheaper Option. just check my other Reviews.
despite all those cons we felt somehow good in hospedaje dodero.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple