“Incredible Resort - Should get perfect reviews”

The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Incredible Resort - Should get perfect reviews”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Westin Playa Conchal is an incredibly beautiful place with wonderful, hardworking staff. My girlfriend and I just returned after a week and I literally had to sit here and think of something negative to say to make this review realistic to vacationers (the room service menu had prices although it was included). The property is phenominal, the room staff is incredible (ours was Antonia, and she wrote us nice messages everyday!) and the food services staff is outstanding (Derek, Juan, Susan, Carolina and Pamela to note only a few). The check in staff was helpful whenever we had any questions.

I am actually quite disgusted with some of the comments posted on here. To put it into perspective, I do like the finer things in life (I drive a lexus, I play lots of golf and smoke cigars) - yet some of the comments here are clear demonstration to the world of how ignorant North Americans are. I actually am embarrassed as a Canadian to read these.... You people all own bentley's and have your own butler's or something?

ie: "No service for drinks at the pool" - It was 40 degrees and workers were outside collecting cups, serving food and drinks, while pouring sweat they were working so hard. I was sweating just laying in my chair and staff are walking around, fully clothed, working. The bar and pool staff worked their butts off to serve people the best they could. I'm in shock, they deserve praise.

It's not a confusing place at all, and when there is ANY confusion, the front desk is wonderful at helping. For example, we were leaving the resort one morning to go on an excursion and were leaving before one could make reservations. We put in a request at the front desk and when we got back to our room later in the afternoon, Stephanie (concierge) had written a personal letter to us confirming our reservation for that evening.....

Yet people complain? .... Sad, snobby North Americans....

Matt

7 Thank Matt J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,422)
Denver, CO
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The Westin Playa Conchal has been an amazing experience after seven quick days in Costa Rica. After staying in a Junior Suite with four people, it could get a bit packed, however the service and room capabilities outweighed our concerns.

The food was amazing for an all-inclusive resort. Our personal favorites were the Italian restaurant located in the Royal Beach Club, and the Mediterranean by the pool. The Asian restaurant was only descent, however the French was also quite good. The Buffet we found was amazing for breakfast and lunch, but not as great as the other fantastic restaurants for dinner. It is best to make reservations multiple days in advance however because otherwise options are very limited.

We attended two activities, in which instead of purchasing from the resort, we purchased from a man named Erik on the beach. They were fantastic trips and were highlights of the experience. Erik offers much better prices and service than the resort, and we did not regret are purchases at all.

We also particularly noticed the friendly staff all over the resort. Even in gift shops, we have made friends overseas with the employees. I highly recommend the "Coffee Lover's" event at 4:00PM at the "Mocha Mocha" shop. When officiating, Andrea does a terrific job opening tourists' eyes to new types of coffee. We of course took a few bags home.

One downside of the resort is its location, for it is always a long drive to activities. It is about one hour from the liberia airport, an hour and a half from river tours, two hours from Buena Vista (a fantastic zipline, waterslide, and horseback riding experience), and four hours from San Jose, volcanic territory, and rainforest.

The drinks at the pool were above par. Personally, I enjoyed the Dirty Monkey and Flavors Margarita the best. We often spent the entire day sitting in the pool, making our way down the drink menu with the all inclusive element.

I can say that the shows are NOT worth going to. The one that we attended was quite humorous, but the talent level was particularly low and the show was not very entertaining.

The beach was very nice when we went. While the hotel does not offer good paid tours, they have free kayaking, boogie boarding, and snorkeling on the beach. The kayaking was very fun, and we spent multiple hours trekking out on the boogie boards. Snorkeling however was not up to par due to the red tide and murky waters. The water was not great for swimming however, it was quite filthy due to the mossy tides.

It was great to purchase gifts on the beach, for we got great quality gifts for fantastic prices. Vendors make their own jewelry, clothing, and more to take home as gifts for friends. Note that their price is not set, and you are free to bargain. We ended up saving four dollars on a purchase by getting food for one of the vendors, and the family back home seems to love the gifts. I recommend these shops over the Artisan Market, for in the Artisan Market the prices are set.

Overall, this has been a fantastic stay. However not as luxurious as our previous stays in Starwood Hawaii hotels, it was a fantastic family experience that was greatly enjoyed.

P.S. If you shop in the "Mocha Mocha" shop, be sure to meet Andrea, she was a very nice person in which we made friends with over the trip.

Room Tip: If you have a family, the Junior Suite will do, however note that privacy is limited.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ewilli31
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We just got back from our vacation to Costa Rica. We started our trip in the Arenal region and traveled to the Westin for the last 4 days of our trip. I've stayed at a few all inclusives and I thought by far this resort had the best food. We really enjoyed the Italian and Mediterranean restaurant. I thought the Asian restaurant was the weakest one out of all of them. I would recommend making reservations when you arrive at the resort. Otherwise you may be stuck with either 6 or 8:30 dinner reservations. The grounds of the resort are beautiful but there is a lot of walking if your room is not by the pool. We stayed by the lake which was very peaceful and quiet. The pool was huge and very pretty. The only negative is that there is really no service. I had a hard time finding someone to put up the umbrella. There is also no wait staff. If you want a drink or something eat you have to get it yourself.

We booked a surfing trip through Erik (who has been recommended). His prices were less expensive then the Westins and we went to a less crowded beach. We really enjoyed it.
The beach was nothing to brag about but then again if you're just looking for a great beach you're better off going to Mexico. Costa Rica has so much more to offer.

Overall I really enjoyed this resort and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking a little bit or taking a shuttle (which were always available) I'd...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Amy C
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This was our 5th time staying at Playa Conchal Resort. Westin took over the property this year. Keeping in mind that you are not in the United States or Canada the food is awesome!
We come for the golf, the weather, and how you are treated! We were not disappointed and
were pleased with the improvements Westin has made to the resort. We look forward to
coming back again next year.
If you would like to see more of Costa Rica look up Erik Garcia or Johnn Roidriguez on the beach for first class service and safety!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank cynthia b
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here the week of March 4-10 and loved every minute of it. If you are planning a trip here and are not a super needy traveler then you are going to really enjoy this resort.

We upgraded to the Royal Beach service and if you are going on your honeymoon or just wish to have a nice relaxing trip then I 100% recommend you upgrade as well. Royal Beach club members have your own private pool with no children allowed. My wife and I dont have kids yet, but we will still love kids, but we were extremely happy to have the option to spend our days by the quiet and peaceful Royal Beach pool. Ariel is one of the pool waiters and he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. He was super attentive and curtious during our stay, and we only tipped him $30 or so on the last day, he did not care we didn't tip him the rest of the week and met our every need. Also with the Royal Beach upgrade you have access to the Breakfast Buffett that is in the Italian restaurant that again, only Royal Beach Club guests have access to, that was a very nice suprise. David who was the butler for Tower 2 was overly nice and again met our every need.

It was very windy when we were there so we did not spend much time at the beach, but the one day we did spend at the beach was very enjoyable. The beach and water are absolutely beautiful and all the beach vendors were very nice and actually really helpful as to what the hotel supplied on the beach. We bought several items from the vendors set up just outside the hotel on the beach and got massages on the beach for $30 a person, I definately recommend this as the massages lasted well over an hour. Erik Garcia and the guys at Conachal Adventure (i think is what they were called) were very helpful and we booked the zip lining tour through them. The ride to the zip lining was a bit longer than advertised, but again my wife and I are not nit picky travelers so we didnt mind it too much, just got back about an hour later than we thought we would. No big deal, the dirty monkeys waiting for us in the pool bar made up for it upon our return.

The food was very good and much better quality than I would have expected at an all inclusive. We were all inclusive rookies prior to our trip here so we didnt really order very good the first night at the italian restuarant (the portions are very small at every restaurant), so after that we just ordered what seemed like one of everything off the menus and they were all too happy to keep on bringing food as we asked which was great haha. All of the restaurants had very healthy options which was an unexpected suprise since we both eat fairly healthy, this week we just ate a LOT of the healthy options. Room service was good and fairly quick the two times we took advantage of that, maybe 30-45 min wait on those. Lunch was good everywhere we went, we had at least 5 different kind of Ceviche while we were there. The beer is good, Imperial and Imperial Light are your options, tasted a lot like Bud Light to me so I was good to go. My wife became quite fond of the Dirty Monkey drink, you should spend lots of time getting to know this drink, it was wonderful.

It is a beautiful resort and I would recommend walking everywhere after you figure out where it all is beause it is very easy to get from place to place and the scenery is fantastic. I highly recommend this resort if you are looking for a nice relaxing trip where pretty much any need you have can be met and the people are super friendly. We are ready to go back right now. Enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: Definately worth the upgrade to the Royal Beach Club.
1 Thank Clay W
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Wow! My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Westin at Playa Conchal and felt as though we were treated like a King and Queen! The service was amazing and so personalized. We always had little surprises left by our housekeepers that started with Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries and ended with towels in the shape of a Ninja! The concierge took great care of us, even setting up a birthday cake complete with serving staff singing to my husband on his birthday during dinner. The facility was gorgeous and always super clean. We joked that they must clean at 3 am because we never saw them, but it was always beautifully maintained. The activities through the resort set us up on great trips zip lining and riding ATVs and even set us up on a sunset cruise with snorkeling. The food was amazing especially the hotel lobby bar-- and what a view at night! Gorgeous! We have never been treated so well and have never been to such a beautiful place. I highly highly recommend the Westin at Playa Conchal, not only for honeymooners, but for friends, families and everything in between! We cannot wait to go back!! Five stars and two thumbs up! Pura Vida!!!

Room Tip: The junior suites were roomy and gorgeous and right near all of the restaurants and the pool!
1 Thank Siena V
Marion, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My husband & I went on a delayed honeymoon with another couple March 16th-22nd, 2012. The Westin Playa Conchal is an absolutely amazing and beautiful property! It is spread out and some have complaints about that, but we absolutely loved it. We went during spring break when they were likely pretty full, but nothing ever felt crowded. There are also shuttles constantly driving by to pick you up to take you wherever you would like to go, but nothing was more than a 5 minute walk so that is what we usually did. The resort is clean, the landscaping beautiful & cared for and lots of iguanas and wildlife.

We chose to upgrade to the Royal Beach Club and it was worth every penny. Our butler for the week was Nelson. He took care of everything, remembered our names, made reservations at the restaurants for us and was always close by and accessible. With the Royal Beach Club, we had access to an adults-only pool that was never crowded and had excellent bartenders at the swim up bar! Some have made complaints about getting reservations at the restaurants or their reservations being lost, however we did not experience any problems with this at all. We made all of our reservations the first morning there and even changed some later in the week and all went very smoothly.

Our favorite people we encountered at the resort were Chris and Johan. They were bartenders at the Mitra bar. We met Chris the first night there at the sports bar and we loved him. We loved him even more when we found him again the next night and he remembered not only who we were, but what we drink! Impressive! Johan was with him every night after that and we made sure we went to see them every night before dinner! Their drinks were always mixed well, they were entertaining and engaging, and best of all, the drinks just kept coming. Once we would get low, Chris would have us another one before we even had a chance to ask!

Food -
The first night we arrived a little late and didn't make dinner reservations because we weren't sure when we would be hungry. So we ate dinner at the Mitra buffet. It was great! They have a huge selection, but our favorite was the pasta bar! I think it was my husbands dream come true!
The next night we ate at Bamboo. It was good, but probably the group's least favorite. Mine was excellent, but I cannot remember what I ordered.
The second night we ate at the Mediterra. It was by far the group's favorite. In fact, we cancelled the reservation we had on the last night and switched it to eat there again! The hummus was TO DIE FOR, so definitely order that!
The next night we ate at the Italian restaurant. It was very good, I ordered Lamb, which was something I have never tried before. It was good food, but our service was a little slow. I think our waiter that night was having a tough time because this was the only time we had any complaint about service. Also, our friend ordered Spaghetti & Meatballs and was VERY disappointed in it.
The Mitra breakfast buffet had the most options, but we mainly opted to eat at the Fasinella (sp?) which was the buffet just for the Royal Beach Club. We liked eating indoors, it was a little less crowded, and still a great selection of foods! The fresh fruits are something I miss having every morning now that I am home!
We had lunch one day at the Caracola, it was good and conveniently right next to the pool! It was also very quick to come once we ordered! We also ordered pizza through Nelson a couple of afternoons. He would bring it up while we were getting ready or wanting to rest. The pizza was awesome, good and thin crust.

Excursions:
We booked three excursions with Erick Garcia and Richardo on the beach just outside the hotel in the blue shirts. We went looking for Erick based on trip advisor reviews and were glad we did. They were not pushy, just extremely helpful and informative. For example, we thought we may want to book a fishing trip for the guys and knew it would be kind of expensive. Erick let us know that the Red Tide was in and no one was catching any fish. Instead, we booked a private sailboat ride with Captain Jack and his first mate Bismarck. We were picked up just outside the hotel at the beach. We sailed to a snorkeling spot (the snorkeling wasn't that great, but swimming was fun!). While we were swimming around, Captain Jack and Bismarck made us homemade Guacamole. It was SO GOOD!! And I don't even like Guac! They also made a Costa Rican rice dish with tortillas and they cut up a fresh pineapple. As we were sailing away, Capt Jack pointed out dolphins in the distance. We cruised out there and were right in the thick of them. Then we sailed to a cove just in time for a beautiful sunset. We went to a bar called Maxwells (I recommend the Strawberry Margarita here) had a drink and Capt Jack had a taxi take us right back to the hotel! It was so special and relaxing.
Our first excursion was ATV riding up to zipline! It was quite an adventure. If you think this is something you might want to do, pack shoes and clothes that you don't mind getting dirty. It was very dusty, but a fun trip. Ziplining was a blast! The guides we had were hilarious and constantly playing jokes on us.
The last trip we did was the Monkey Tour. It was a pretty bumpy and long ride, but our guide Mitch filled it with stories about the land and even stopped and got us sugarcane to try. The river tour was fun. We saw TONS of crocodiles, iguanas, and two different types of monkeys. We brought bananas with us and Mitch cut them up and we were able to feed the monkeys on the boat. He just called them down, they climbed onto the boat and ate all we would give them! So cute! We also saw another boat feeding a crocodile. Apparently, this was illegal to do, but we got far enough away from the rangers that we were able to do it! It made the trip worth it!

Rooms:
Our friend we went with called ahead and requested pool view rooms. We had a great pool view and our rooms were great! The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom was huge, and we had plenty of room! We were on the second level and it was perfect, we never had to take the elevator.

I am sure I am leaving someone or something out, but our honeymoon stay at the Westin was by far the best experience I have EVER had at a resort. The food was so good, all inclusive is the way to go! And if you are not traveling with children, definitely upgrade to the royal beach club. It is worth it for sure!

Room Tip: We got a pool view room. It was very quiet and had a great balcony and view.
1 Thank Nicole M
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,002 reviews

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!