All reviews deep blue diving garden bar the main street dive shop enjoyed our stay rooms are large costa rica owners and staff dirt road eggs and sausage under new ownership special events movie night spring rolls asian fusion food mini fridge mango
Reviewed November 9, 2018 via mobile

I love to stay at this hotel. Everyone is so welcoming and concerned that your stay is all you want it to be. It seems a world away from the rest of the town yet it is walking distance. Beach is also walking distance but hanging around the pool is like being in an oasis. Join people at the Garden Bar which is big, beautiful and fun or sit at the tables under a tent while being served delicious food and being entertained. Look for their events calendar.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderful evening with a fantastic local painter Carlos Hillier doing a massive canvas to music as we ate our Meals. Enjoyed our meals immensely. Serivice was excellent...drinks run on the high end of prices in Coco...

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2018 via mobile

Great Garden Bar and Restaurant
2 minutes from the ocean.
Excellent staff food.
By far the Best in Costa Rica
And i have been coming for 23 years. Unbelievable..casual..
Best Small Hotel in Costa Rica

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2018

I've been coming to Playas del Cocos and staying at La Puerta del Sol every time. The old owners were lovely and I really enjoyed staying there.
The new folks have jumped in with both feet and I was cautiously optimistic when I went back this summer. I really liked how quiet and calm the original version of the hotel had been and clearly, these guys had some plans to introduce some changes and get more of a steady stream of customers - totally understandable, but I was worried i was going to lose my tropical oasis to the crowds.
To be sure, there are more people at the hotel than have been there in the past, but it's all fine.
They have put a bar in, which is nice. Seems like some of the locals pop by for a beverage after work and then wander off home.
They have a kitchen that specialises in Asian fusion. It was nice but not something I could eat 7-10 days in a row, but when I talked to the owners, it sounded like there might be other options. As a dinner, I know I start thinking about burgers and fries about halfway through the second dive and would LOVE to come back to the hotel and have a cheeseburger and a beer.
I like this place. It's not 5 star - but it doesn't try to be. If you want that sort of thing, there is a 4 Seasons just down the road.
I think this is a good clean hotel, reasonably priced and with a fantastic staff group.
Honestly, the guys who work at the bar are just so lovely. They really felt like friends. They seem to impress everyone who comes to the bar.
Also, the night watchman, super friendly and very welcoming. Really, a top notch staff group.

I'll be back.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2018

I have just finished my stay at this hotel and had a brilliant time! The rooms are spacious and cleaned to a very high standard every day. The breakfast was delicious and the hotel amenities included a gorgeous pool (again very clean and not busy) and a bar (with reasonable prices and a large choice of drinks). Every week there is a movie night and a live music night, which was really enjoyable and had a great atmosphere.

The hotel is located about a 5 minute walk from the main street in playa del coco, 3 minutes to the beach and very close to all of the dive shops and supermarkets etc.

The highlight of our stay was definitely Lorenzo! He was absolutely lovely, always greeting us with a smile at breakfast in the morning and checking on us if we were around the pool in the afternoon. He works incredibly hard and we really appreciated all his efforts.

Thanks for a great stay and start to our vacation!

Date of stay: August 2018