All reviews minute walk private access to the beach the pura vida lifestyle standard room self catering costa rica superior villa basketball hoop chilled out atmosphere relaxed hotel ping pong shared kitchen fully equipped kitchen surf lessons national park palm trees small market
Reviewed June 2, 2016 via mobile

El Manglar, you've done it again! 3rd year in a row that my boyfriend and I have come to stay in May. It's our absolute favorite place in Costa Rica!! Why? 1. The waves are amazing right out front of the hotel. We've surfed avellanas and playa hermosa, but playa grande is a perfect beach break for my intermediate and his advanced level of surfing. 2. It's walking distance to Tamarindo (great restaurants and the port for amazing boat tours - the guys at reception will even book them for you!). And 3. The Hotel is seriously paradise. It's soooo well kept, you get the best of both: jungle living with the comforts of home. We stayed in one of the poolside villas (again). The bed was super comfy, everything cleaned well daily (thanks Bele!) and air conditioning (hallelujah!). Not to mention, the hotel is just a 1 minute walk down the monkey path to a pristine, untouched piece of paradise. Great for surfing, running, lounging. I honestly can't say enough good things about El Manglar. Javi and Fede (the owners) are the sweetest guys you'll ever meet. Brothers who make every guest a member of their family. And Ariel (the manager) and Guillermo (the receptionist) couldn't have been more helpful. They booked all of our excursions, airport transfers, and recommended really great local restaurants. They also have a great selection of surfboards to rent for all levels (great for me because I'm a longboarder and don't wanna lug that around from country to country). Thank you guys so so much! We will be back next May (if not for Christmas time, too!) ◡̈

Xoxo
Jax & Shane

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Federico d, Propietario at Hotel El Manglar, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2016

Greetings,

Thanks for choosing our hotel to enjoy your Holidays! We are working to improve some areas, for us your feedback is very important so we can provide the best service every day. We hope your experience was unique in the Hotel El Manglar!

Reviewed May 26, 2016

I have nothing but positive things to say about the owners and the services provided at this boutique hotel. The owners are brothers who love their life and adore their career, a career which they also call their home. These guys treat all customers like guests in their own home and live and breathe the Pura Vida lifestyle they cultivate for customers daily. I was here alone as a woman and I felt incredibly safe and relaxed, while also excited, exhilarated, and inspired. The location is unreal (you walk down a path for 1 minute to get to the edge of a forest which meets the beach). There were times when I would take selfies on the beach with ZERO people in the background. I will never forget the glowing waves under the moonlight and the family staying there at the same time as me (they return every year because they also feel like it's there home!).

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Federico d, Owner at Hotel El Manglar, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2016

Hola kathryn.

Thank you for choosing us to enjoy your holidays! We hope that your experience was unique in Hotel El Manglar, this motivate us to provide the best care to each of our guests. For our team it is very important to satisfy our guests and make you feel at home in this beautiful tropical paradise. See you soon!!

Reviewed May 21, 2016 via mobile

Hotel El Manglar was a little oasis at Playa Grand Beach. The staff were friendly and very helpful. It was a perfect end to our visit to the west coast of Costa Rica. I loved the relaxed vibe and communal areas. There was a lovely walk on a private path to the beach. Thank you for a wonderful and relaxing stay. That staff and location were awesome.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends

Hola Kate!!

Reviewed May 13, 2016

In a dream world I would live at Hotel El Manglar! I have stayed here multiple times and every time I love it more and more!! The staff is absolutely AMAZING the rooms are CLEAN !! The Wifi is good and the pool is perfect !

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed May 1, 2016

We felt very comfortable at the Hotel El Manglar in Playa Grande's nearby Beach Resort. What we liked was (1j the location in the forest with a short private path leading to the beach to watch the gorgeous sunsets over the Pacific Ocean and also check out, whether there are any howler monkeys on the branches above the path. (2) The welcoming atmosphere that the young managers of the hotel spread. The personnel and the guests were mostly young people and one couple in their early fifities. But even as retirees we never felt misplaced and loved the chats sitting in the pool at the bar trying to cool down from the heat of the late Nicoya summer (dry season called verano or summer here), (3) The standard room with a well working fan and two levels. I slept under the roof. I also looked at the suites for couples with matrimonial bed - very cosy and good value for money, (4) the many corners that the hotel has prepared for the young guests such as the basket ball basket, the rope to walk on, the surf boards ready to take to the sea, the kitchenette and tables to prepare your own breakfast, (5) the tours that the young managers organized for us, one to the mangroves in the crocodile river and one on the catamaran to go swimming (well, some people drunk a lot of alcohol here, but the swimming and the sunset were just marvellous).

Thank you, I will come back to this hotel, when I come back to Costa Rica and Playa Grande in another seven years or so.

Room Tip: For two beds we took a standard room which was fine. For couples the suites with your own balcony look very cosy.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends