Hotel Sol Samara(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$105
Hotel Samara Inn(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
US$49
US$246
US$100
Hotel Flying Crocodile(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
Hotel Samara Pacific Lodge(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
US$63
US$61
Hostel Matilori(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
US$35
US$29
Hotel Giada(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
US$52
Tico Adventure Lodge(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
US$50
  • Pool
Mirador de Samara(Playa Samara)
US$68
TripAdvisor
All reviewsshared bathroomthe ownercosta ricaquiet streetnice hotelin towngood vibestwo nightswould stay here againminute walk to the beachnice poolcomfortable bedspolloevery morningsamara beachkitchenshade
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've been to this place several times and always loved it. Now, they are shooting more for the loud bar crowd. The live music is so loud you can hear it blocks away, never mind in all the rooms. Even breakfast is subject of the new speaker system - everywhere and loud. The food is still good and the staff is delightful, but don't expect to sleep or relax here. Sadly, it is off my list of places to stay.

Room Tip: There are no rooms that escape the live music. Maybe the little A-frame on the left side is better for the non-live noise of the new speaker system.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

After a long day of traveling It was nice to be able to relax and the Rancho de la Playa is a perfect place to do this. The staff were all very friendly, taking the time to chit chat. One of the housekeepers who didn't speak English was so friendly and understanding of my lack of Spanish skills. She was very patient with me and took the time to try to figure out what I wanted (I needed some extra towels) instead of just blowing me off. We stayed in the apartment above the bar and didn't find it too terribly noisy and what noise there was ceased at a decent hour. What I liked best was the location. It takes about 3 minutes to get to the beach. I still think about the chicken quesadilla at the restaurant. It seems like such a basic thing, but they do something magical with it. Yum. The biggest thing is that I just felt so comfortable there. I recommend!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I as in Samara to attend school here to learn Spanish. I was staying with a host family and wanted something in town. This place came recommended by the school I was attending. I loved this place. It is close to the beach and it has a restaurant on the premises. Their prices are reasonable and fair. The quality of the food was excellent. The owner is very easy going and everyone that worked there was very helpful and pleasant. I spent two nights here before leaving to go to another town. I liked this place so much that I came back the following weekend bringing friends with me. Again, I was totally happy with everything as were my friends. I would not hesitate to go back here to stay the next time I go to Samara!! The price was fantastic for what you received. It is not the Ritz but then I wasn't looking for that. It is a decent safe place that definitely delivered. Way to go Rancho:)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank sparkyygirl
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Rancho de la Playa came highly recommended, and Philippe, the owner, and his family are delightful and very welcoming. The hotel is beautiful, in a great location, has wonderful food, a very fun ambiance, a clean and large pool, ping-pong table, a well-stocked bar, and is a local hangout for great music and food in the evenings. There is wifi in the rooms, AC, hot water. They also have large umbrellas and bikes for their guests, which is much appreciated.

I am a middle-aged American female, traveling alone. I stayed here for two nights. Unfortunately, the security guard was not on duty, and a local and well-known drug addict came to my room at 3 a.m. and tried to get in, was banging on my door, screaming in Spanish, and terrified me for about an hour. I was unable to escape through the window because of a large cactus plant. I screamed for help in three different languages, but no one responded. Long story short, the drug addict is known in Samara for these kinds of behaviors, and is frequently arrested. Very unfortunately, I was told he has a memory of someone in Room #6, and that's why he came to my room. (There is a double lock on that section of two rooms, which could have been a disaster if he had actually come into my room.) The police were alerted, but he was not arrested, even though he admitted he came to my room. He continued to hang out at the hotel, chatting with people, smoking, swimming, and no one seemed very concerned. The concern only seemed to be that the security guard had not come to work that night. I left the hotel immediately. I was assured that the security guard would not leave his post again, but the experience was too traumatizing.

This is a lovely place, run by lovely people, but it's extremely unfortunate that their security guard was not at his post, and that they welcomed that fellow at their hotel to just hang around anytime, knowing his behavior is unpredictable.

Room Tip: Avoid Room #6 and the room next to it. There is a double lock outside of these two rooms, and if you need assistance of any kind and that double door is locked, there is no way for anyone to get to you without breaking the door down. Room #6 also has no escape route (large cactus plant in front of window) in case of fire (or the experience I had here).
Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DavisCAL
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We had a great time here and originally planned on staying just one night but kept extending. I wrecked a motorcycle while we were there and the owner Philippe drove us himself into town to the pharmacia for further assistance. The food is great and the ambiance is ideal! We hope to get back there someday soon.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple