New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Los Altos de Eros

Los Altos de Eros
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Tamarindo
Bloomfield, New Jersey, United States
“Costa Rica's Best Kept Secret!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Joseph & Kelly stayed from 01-24-2012/01-29-2012

My wife and I just came back from our honeymoon last night and I couldn't wait to write this review. The service we experienced at the property was 5 Star all the way. From the couples spa and dinner to the daily laundry service provided free of charge we could not find one complaint about this establishment. Everyone from the drivers to the cooks made you feel at home and they cater to your every need. The property is pristine and situated atop a beautiful mountain with breathtaking views. There are 5 rooms on the property with about 25 professionally trained staff to make your experience a memorable one. The owner Calvin is very warm and hospitable and he really cares about the quality of service that his guests receive. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Costa Rica for there honeymoon or just to get away for a romantic trip!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Joseph L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

After staying a lovely few days at a local B&B closer to town, I arrived at Los Altos. It was magnificent. I love mountains and the view was beautiful getting to see all the flowers and mountains and the ocean in the distance. The food was delicious and varied - chicken in a coconut curry (I dont like curry but I liked this very much), sweet plantains with ice cream, spagetti, caesar salad, breakfasts included cereal and granola, egg dishes (I dont eat eggs but was told these were really good), fresh fruit, juice and other treats like rice and beans. If you are still hungry (and really just because you can), take advantage of the anytime-you-want-smoothie policy. Sipping a fruity concoction while lounging by the pool in gorgeous sunshine with such views - wow! Homeade cookies, soft drinks, beer, wine, wafers...it's a good thing there's great hiking to burn off some calories! Spa services were discounted for hotel guests (my oatmeal scrub smelled breakfasty-delicious and left my skin feeling fantastico). Clean laundry every day. What else do you need? How about good service - well you'll get it. From the top down - Calvin the owner, Francisco, one of the drivers with a stellar personality, the lovely ladies at the "front desk", everyone working in the kitchen and behind the scenes - they were very friendly with a happy-to-do attitude and big smiles. It was fun to practice my Spanish, although the managers are fluent in English. I would have extended my stay if logistically I could. I was very sad to leave. I would definitely go back. Now if only I can get them to send me some of those cookies :)!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jill567
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

21 Jan 2012 - what an experience. Pura Vida at its best. private car service to/from, pleasant therapists, soaking tub, delicious chocolate body scrub, 90-min massage and a relaxing facial ... how good does it get. Sister had massage, pedicure and a cucumber & honey facial .... book your trip as soon as you can .. you'll be happy you did! Pura Vida.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eileen D
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

We have not stayed at Los Altos but we have been to the day spa twice. It features three treatments and a light lunch with wine. It is an incomparable outdoor setting and the staff are superb.
It is not easy to find so getting detailed directions is a must.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank TorontoRoemer
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

My husband and I spent a week here for a honeymoon long overdue (5 years!). I had very high expectations of Los Altos de Eros because of all of the raving reviews and pictures. I am definitely the "planning-type", and booked this trip WAY in advance...looking at every single review and picture on TripAdvisor over the time leading up to our vacation (actually I got extremely excited with each review and picture, so I just kept going!). NOTHING could describe the experience you will have staying here. Everything, from the delicious food, to the spectacular views and sunsets, and the wonderful staff will make you feel like you're in Heaven. You will feel like family here. Everyone is very accommodating and will bend over backwards for you, whether you want to plan a last-minute trip to the town/beach, activity, or just to make a fresh smoothie (by the way...the mango, pineapple and papaya smoothies are to DIE for...also the pina coladas).The wild-life around the property is very amusing- every single day we had the pleasure of lounging around the pool with 2 iguanas (about 3 feet long...they LOVE the fruit on the end of your smoothies and you will find them coming up to your chair for it, so don't freak out lol). We also saw tons of howler monkeys (they can sound really creepy at night and I woke up a few times to them because we had the windows open). The toads loved to come out by the pool at night during dinner, also. It was like clock-work almost! All of the managers (Yanina, Tatiana, and Anya, etc) were all wonderful, as were the housekeepers, chefs, drivers (thanks Antonio and Lionel!), etc! Sorry if I misspelled anyone's name! Calvin, the owner, came by almost everyday to see how we were doing. He is a wonderful person and has really made the most perfect place on Earth. We had the most wonderful time here, and we are sad to leave. We met some wonderful people who were other guests as well (hi, Bryan and Annie, John and Brittany, and Al and Katie!). As other reviewers have mentioned, you will eat your meals with other guests around one large table. We were not too sure how it would be, but it turned out great! We were lucky to have such great couples here at the same time. Some other words of advice: take the cooking class! SO fun! Bring smaller bills to make it easier for tipping and buying things in town (although you can tip at the end of your stay). Know the exchange rate ahead of time in case people elsewhere in town might try to take advantage of you when buying things. You don't need to bring a lot of laundry (they do it daily for free! WONDERFUL service). Do the couple's sunset massage and dinner! I wish we could have had more money and time for another massage, but sadly we had to go without. We went horseback riding with Go Adventures (1 hr Playa Conchal, 1 hr up and down the mountains/jungle-AMAZING. If you have the time one day (a few hours), do it!!! Also, surf lessons with Rudy in Tamarindo are a must! Canopy tour was great also!

Do yourself a favor and book your vacation here, even if it can only be for one night. You will not regret it!

Pura vida!

Thanks every at Los Altos de Eros! We will miss you!
-Mary & Chris

Room Tip: We had the King room- I think it's more private than the Queen-further away, and you have your o...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryandChris16
Westwood, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

I had a long description of our stay written out, but the internet crashed and I lost it all. So... I'm going to keep this 2nd one short and sweet.

We stayed 2 nights as part of our honeymoon, which was a BIG MISTAKE - that was WAY TOO SHORT. We were depressed when we had to leave, and we were already planning when we could come back. The service was amazing, the property gorgeous, plenty of animals, and the outdoor shower was incredible.

I would highly, HIGHLY recommend the sunset dinner and massage. We had that our first night, and it was one of the best nights of our lives. They gave us an hour and a half massage in front of a beautiful view (best massage I've ever had), and then they gave us strawberries and champagne to enjoy while watching the sunset. After awhile, they came and served us a wonderful dinner by candlelight, and the only noise we could hear was from the small waterfall behind us and the birds and howler monkeys.

Altogether, an AMAZING place, the best place we have every stayed or probably will ever stay, and we are already planning our trip back.

Room Tip: Any of the 4 poolside rooms were great and probably the same, with outdoor showers and A/C if you ne...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We have been staying in Tamarindo and touring around. Needed a day at the spa to regroup. The ladies at Los Altos de Eros were amazing and we did not want to leave! 1/2 day, 3 treatments, fabulous lunch and all the wine you can drink! Ask for Jessica!

• Stayed December 2011