“Saving to Return!”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Tamarindo
Franklin, TN
“Saving to Return!”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I chose Los Altos de Eros to celebrate my 50th birthday. Wow! I was so impressed with everything. It was more than I expected, and I expected a lot from all the wonderful reviews. If you are looking for a special place that is beautiful, serene, spotless, has a great chocolate lab to play with, offers incredible food, and where the entire staff and owner Calvin are all lovely, kind people, then this is where you need to begin and end your vacation! I was almost in tears the last evening of our stay because I felt like I was leaving family, but my husband has PROMISED that we will return. Los Altos de Eros is very romantic.

1 Thank Tiffi G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We booked the spa for the day for a bridal party Crystal Piersall I am Crystals grandmother and want to say what a wonderful time we had Everything was so relaxing and so amazing
What a wonderful meal they prepared for us It was the best Massage I have ever had thanks for making it so special for us Melody Underwood

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My wife and I just returned from our second trip to Los Altos. There isn't much to add to all the other five star reviews. We came back for the great rooms, excellent food, amazing location, and perfect weather. However, what really makes Los Altos exceptional is the staff. They are truly out of this world. Thanks to Yanina, Hannia, Tatiana, Francisco the driver extraordinaire, all of the wonderful ladies in the kitchen, and the people who keep the grounds and rooms looking immaculate. Thanks also to Calvin for putting this place together - we hope to see everyone again soon!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We had a wonderful spa day at Los Altos de Eros. We were picked up at Playa Conchal and taken then in a van. It is beautiful as all have said but in addition it is very clean, very friendly and very relaxing. The spa employees did an excellent job in all services although the masseuses have a much heavier hand than those in the US. The food was excellent as was the cool wine, the orange smoothies and most of al whatever tea they prepared. I could go on and on but let me just say it was a wonderful day and the highlight of our trip

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 3 February 2012

My wife and I took a delayed honeymoon here this past month. Obviously a great deal of planning goes in to a honeymoon. We spent a lot of effort trying to find the perfect place. Luckily, in Los Altos, we did. The property itself is great. It is a sanctuary high on a mountain top where, unlike most resorts, you have not invaded nature, but you are existing among it. It is not uncommon to see large lizards on the roof of the spa or hummingbirds two feet away from you while you are enjoying a complimentary fresh fruit (and even better when infused with booze ((thanks, Tom!)) smoothie poolside.

The grounds and facilities aside, as many people have said before, what really makes this place second to none is the staff. Whatever you need, don’t worry, they will do for you. We wanted to do the catamaran cruise, they set it up. We wanted to try surfing lessons—they made the calls to the best places. Daily laundry—just put it in the basket and after your room is cleaned you will walk in to find you clothes neatly folded on the bed. It was clear we were not inconveniencing the staff, either. They really wanted to help. It was like a little family. I cannot say enough how great every one of the staff members was to us. We look forward to returning to see all of the staff and the owner, Calvin as well. As we were leaving the question on both of our minds was: when can we get back there again? The answer remains: as soon as possible!

1 Thank Nick S
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Words cannot describe how absolutely amazing Los Altos is. My husband and I stayed there for 3 nights (Jan. 17th-20th), at the tail-end of our 12 day honeymoon in Costa Rica. After 9 days of travelling it was definitely nice to have all of our laundry done for us! We were impressed right away. There are so many wonderful things about los altos- but I will try to keep this somewhat brief! The service there is top-notch. Each person that works there goes above and beyond to make sure you are happy. All of the staff are wonderful, gracious people. Fransisco was the main driver, and we enjoyed talking to him every night on our drive to and from town. On the day of our departure at 4am, he baked us croissants fresh at 330am before we left. We were very impressed! Calvin, the owner, came by everyday. We chatted with him quite a bit, and enjoyed learning about how Los Altos came to be. One of the managers (im sorry i can't remember her name), was pregnant and suffering from morning sickness (all day! poor thing!) and she was amazing! Even though she felt terrible she never once complained and was always asking if we needed anything. And then there is my favorite "person" we met at Los Altos. COCO!!! The chocolate brown lab that I absolutely loved. We even took him for the 5.5km walk one morning.

The food was fabulous. More than enough for every meal. You can stay for dinner at the resort if you want ($35 per person) or go into town. We went into town most nights, but on our last night they set up a romantic table for us by the end of the pool. It was amazing. Make sure you have one of the macadamia nut chocolate chip cookies. So good!

The pool, spa and grounds were gorgeous. The pool chairs were nice and cozy. The pool was a perfect temperature and there was even floaties provided. The spa offered 50% for guests, which was awesome! We had 90 min massages and I had a pedicure. Fabulous! The grounds were beautiful and the view of the pacific was breathtaking. It was so peaceful and relaxing at Los Altos.

We stayed in the queen room. I have read the reviews that say it is small. Yes it is a bit small, but we didn't care at all! It was still a beautiful room. We were barely in the room, except at night time. And the bathroom and shower were huge, which was nice.

One of the nice things about Los Altos is having breakfast and lunch with the other guests. It was so nice meeting people from all over the world. We met some wonderful people! Shout out to Jill who already wrote a glowing review last week!!! Also, Joel and Karen from New York! Was so great meeting you all!!!

Los Altos was simply amazing. We would love to go back. And we definitely recommend it to anyone!!! Thank-you to all the staff who made our honeymoon unforgettable!

1 Thank TashaF1981
Reviewed 30 January 2012

It would be so easy to write "ditto" here, because everything the other 300+ reviewers have said about Los Altos is true. We will just try to add our insights to what everyone else has offered about this magical oasis.

My wife and I spent 5 nights in the Suite of Los Altos de Eros this past week - on our honeymoon.

-We met our driver Francisco at the Liberia Airport after spending three days exploring the Arenal Volcano region. He greeted us with a smile, handed me a beer, and it just went from there. We traveled back from the airport with another couple who had stayed previously, and booked their next stay before they even left the year before.

-We showed up with three days of clothing that was covered in dirt, grime, and everything imaginable from our hiking and canyoning prior to our arrival. The day after we checked in it was all washed, pressed, folded, and waiting in our room. They did that every day after this, and we went home with suitcases full of clean clothes.

-The Honeymoon suite is absolutely worth it. Grab it if it is available. We were on top of the world with our private balcony, and it was so well decorated, laid out, and designed. Many pieces of the owner's personal glass collection are laid out around the room. We saw the other rooms and they are very nice as well... but that suite is just mindblowing.

-We had a private driver for everything. Any time we wanted to go somewhere, they would have one of their drivers take us, arrange a time, and pick us up. One of the other couples with us said all of the people who "had to walk" back to their hotels after a sailboat ride couldn't believe our hotel did that for us.

-When we went down to the beach, they handed us a bag with water, towels, etc. to take with us. They think of everything.

-The spa is fantastic. The treatments were heavily discounted for us because we were staying as guests of Los Altos... so we really indulged ourselves. The 90 minute massage I got (twice) was the best I've ever had.

-I had mentioned I wanted to go snorkeling but wasn't sure of the conditions. Tatiana at the desk called a few dive shops while we were getting ready, and found out where to go and when to do it. We didn't ask her. She just did things like that. That is how this place works.

-They have contact with anything you may want to do. We wanted to get some dinner in town, and they recommended a restaurant. They booked for us, and when we got there we had the best seats, right on the beach.

-The place has a gorgeous open kitchen, and I love to cook. I had to go out of my way to reassure the kitchen staff that I actually liked cutting my own limes that I picked from the trees outside... because they seriously don't want you to have to do anything.

-There is a ton of fresh fruit that grows around the property. Most of it ends up in fresh smoothies made throughout the day.

-Los Altos turns out to be a tremendous value. When you take the cost of the room, and run it against the meals, drinks, transport to and from the airport and a rental car to drive around in... as well as all of the other perks - its really a no brainer. I likened it to spending a week at a really rich uncle's house ;)

-There are two beaches close to Los Altos. One is Tamarindo, and it has shops, restaurants, and is pretty lively. The other is Avellanas (sp?)... and it has one casual restaurant (which is great), and is otherwise devoid of development. Its a perfect, beautiful, clean, warm, sandy Pacific beach.

-There is a three to one staff to guest ratio, and it shows. Even with that, a lot of people have multiple roles... so I shouldn't have been surprised when the gentleman that drove our van a couple of times - very nice silent type - was also the person who made our fresh cinnamon rolls in the morning... and they were the best we'd ever had.

-There are at most four other couples there. You can certainly be off on your own - there is enough room - but it was great to be around that small of a group of people... it was very intimate and warm. I also strongly believe that for the most part, the people who come to Los Altos are cut from a similar cloth, and we got along great with our fellow travelers.

-This is a fantastic place for "foodies." The bulk of what is served is locally sourced. The fish shows up on ice from local fishermen. The beef and poultry is local, and you can see all of the cattle farms in the area. There are so many great fruits around. All of the food is prepared very simply and cleanly without adding so much that the flavor or integrity of the meal is lost. While most of the time seeing "typica" cuisine is just a pile of rice and beans - they really go a long way to bring some fantastic flavors to the table.

-Sometimes I'd just be standing in the middle of the common area. The owner would wander out, look at me, and tell me to eat a cookie. They make these insanely delicious macadamia nut cookies that have to be kissed by unicorns. I always ate my cookie. I'd like one right now.

-As Calvin, the owner will say, it is the staff that makes the place, and I wholeheartedly agree. Yanina and Tatiana run the show and took care of us from our first contact through check-out. We made a great friend in Francisco - the driver, handyman, and local cultural historian who taught us so much about Costa Rica, and showed so much pride in his country. The kitchen staff were fantastic, their food was great, and I know I threw them some curveballs by making iced coffee and insisting on picking my own fruit - but they were great. Everyone is just so very warm and inviting and most of all - it is real. Its not the fake, forced smiles you get at a lot of "resorts." Its not someone fishing for a tip. It is genuine pride in their work. So many of the employees have worked there for several year, and apparently there is no turnover. This says a lot to us.

-I cannot echo the sentiment enough... its the perfect place to do everything, or nothing at all.

I have nothing negative to say about this place, other than that it will spoil you and cause you to set unreasonable expectations on any place you may travel in the future. We love to travel and travel the world. We have yet to visit a place that we "have to" return to, but by the time we were on the plane we were already trying to figure out when we could come back.

Don't hesitate - just book it.

Room Tip: If the Suite is available, just go for it.