“It may have been EVEN Better this time!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Los Altos de Eros

Los Altos de Eros
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
New York City, New York
“It may have been EVEN Better this time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

This was our second trip to Los Altos and will not be our last. This year we booked the Eros Suite for our entire stay and enticed our British friends to join us for the week. It was everything we remembered from last year and more. We were greeted by the lovely staff including Francisco who picked us up in LIberia, Tatiana, Yanina and Hania who took care of our every need each day and Antonio who drove us to the beach and made fabulous pastries each day! The amazing women who cook are truly remarkable. They turn out fresh, interesting and delicious meals and always remember how you like your coffee. I started my day with the 5.5 kilometer loop trail and one day was accompanied by the lovely Coco, Los Altos' gorgeous chocolate lab. Then I did yoga with Amy in the dreamy yoga studio, which overlooks the Pacific Ocean and is surrounded by tropical breezes, birds and the occasional monkey. The trips to Avellanas Beach were a lovely distraction on the days we didn't just lounge by the pool or take advantage of the soothing and professional spa treatments. We can't wait to be back next year!

Room Tip: All five rooms are lovely but the Eros Suite is a real treat with a private balcony for watching the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank RamblingShirley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We spent our honeymoon at Los Altos over the course of nine days. The staff is incredibly friendly and eager to answer even the smallest need. The hotel itself is gorgeous and provides a very intimate and highly personalized experience. The food was top notch and I can honestly say we never had a bad meal during our stay. Overall, I was very impressed with our experience with only one exception.

On our second to last night we were eating dinner with the other guests when the owner appeared and entered the conversation. He then insulted my wife and some of the other guests with what I felt was very rude and inappropriate behavior. I expected a higher level of professionalism from someone who owns and manages such an amazing resort. This is probably an unusual occurrence but I feel compelled to share it. Aside from his behavior I would strongly recommend this resort.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JGBroncosFan
CalvinEros, Owner at Los Altos de Eros, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
" Ooops! Let's ban the discussion of politics at Los Altos de Eros from now on ! Mistakes were made and apologies are extended."
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

While in Tamarindo my husband and I decided to spend the day at Los Altos de Eros Spa.
We were picked up at 9 in the morning. When we arrived (25 minutes) later we were greeted by two youg women. They led the way down to the spa. The package that we went for entitled you to a 1 1/2 hr massage ( or a manicure & pedicure) plus a choice of 2 different body scrubs
And 2 different body wraps or a fruit bath. We were offered something refreshing to drink ( wine , water or ice tea) and then the fun began.
We both chose the massage. Which is given outside where you can smell the fresh air and hear the birds. I have to be honest I am a massage snob. I get massages at home on a regular basis. I have had massages in Thailand , Sweden just to give you an idea. This was probably one of the best massages that I have ever gotten. I like deep massages while my husband likes more of a Swedish style. We were both pleased.
After the massage we both chose the oatmeal and honey scrub. Wow, both of us were amazed how clean our skin felt. It felt surprisingly good as it was being rubbed on us.
After showering my husband had a fruit bath He soaked in a warm tub filled with water that had watermelon slices, marshmallows, oranges, strawberries, grapes, mango and star fruit floating in it. While I had a papaya and honey body wrap.my skin was never as moist.
I then showered put on the robe provided and was led to the deck area. Here ther is a hot tub and some lounge chairs. We served an unbelievable gormet lunch. There was grilled chicken skewers with a chutney and grilled shrimp skewers. There was also an amazing pasta salad, tomato with avocado and mozzarella cheese, ceviche and fruit smoothies. All the food was servred buffet style. Plus drinks and desert!
There was one small issue that needs to Be taken into consideration. The water pressure is not great in the shower. Trying to get the honey & oatmeal off with poor water pressure is not an easy task. But it can be done, it just takes a little longer .
We booked two nights to stay there when we are in the area in January 2013 . We highly recommend the spa.

Room Tip: There are other packages.
3 Thank Jiminysuzy
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Best vacation ever, bar none. Great food, great staff, great pool, get views, great spa, and great puppy...so great, in fact, that you won't end up seeing much of Costa Rica, as you won't want to leave the property. Words cannot do justice...and I'm a writer, but here're some bullet points:

-Props to Amy for her excellent yoga classes. The outdoor ashram is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
-The staff can't do enough for you: Free laundry, always making sure you have enough to eat and drink, and general sweetness all adds up to a magical getaway.
-I had a lovely coconut bath. Seriously -- a coconut bath.
-Just when you thought it couldn't get more perfect, there's a bossa nova duo at sunset on Saturday.
-All three meals are uniformly excellent, as are the endless smoothies and the never-empty cooler of beer and soda.
-Even the smallest room is lovely. Who says size matters?
-Be prepared to socialize, but don't worry about it, because the clientele was diverse, interesting, and fun.
-Oh yeah: Lots and lots of chocolate macadamia cookies.

We'll be back soon...but even sooner if Calvin adopts us.

Thanks a zillion!
Natalie and Alan

2 Thank Alan773
Franklin, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I chose Los Altos de Eros to celebrate my 50th birthday. Wow! I was so impressed with everything. It was more than I expected, and I expected a lot from all the wonderful reviews. If you are looking for a special place that is beautiful, serene, spotless, has a great chocolate lab to play with, offers incredible food, and where the entire staff and owner Calvin are all lovely, kind people, then this is where you need to begin and end your vacation! I was almost in tears the last evening of our stay because I felt like I was leaving family, but my husband has PROMISED that we will return. Los Altos de Eros is very romantic.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tiffi G
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We booked the spa for the day for a bridal party Crystal Piersall I am Crystals grandmother and want to say what a wonderful time we had Everything was so relaxing and so amazing
What a wonderful meal they prepared for us It was the best Massage I have ever had thanks for making it so special for us Melody Underwood

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

My wife and I just returned from our second trip to Los Altos. There isn't much to add to all the other five star reviews. We came back for the great rooms, excellent food, amazing location, and perfect weather. However, what really makes Los Altos exceptional is the staff. They are truly out of this world. Thanks to Yanina, Hannia, Tatiana, Francisco the driver extraordinaire, all of the wonderful ladies in the kitchen, and the people who keep the grounds and rooms looking immaculate. Thanks also to Calvin for putting this place together - we hope to see everyone again soon!