“EVERYTHING You need to know about Los Altos De Eros Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Los Altos de Eros

Los Altos de Eros
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Tamarindo
Clarendon Hills, Illinois, United States
“EVERYTHING You need to know about Los Altos De Eros Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I have never in my 38 years of life written a review on a stay at a hotel, a meal, a good experience or bad but felt obligated to do so after my trip to Costa Rica this past month. Before I give you all the details you need let me start by saying I highly recommend adding Los Altos De Eros to your "bucket list". So here is what you need to know:

1) On the way to the hotel you will be looking at your significant other asking yourself "are we being mugged"? The reason is the roads are horribly bumpy getting up to the resort but I assure you two things...you are safe and the bumpy trip is worth the headache you will have upon arrival!

2) Don't be surprised but there are only 5 rooms at this hotel and you have meals with the other couples for breakfast, lunch, and possibly dinner. This turned out to be a great thing for us because we made friends for life. The ages of other guests were 23 yr old newly weds to a couple in their 50's and we all had a blast together!

3) You will not find better meals anywhere in Costa Rica, don't leave the hotel for dinner, nothing compares!

4) This is the best Spa I have ever been to in my life! Ask for Jessica, she has magical hands! The spa treatments are 50% off for guests staying at the hotel, unbelievable value!

5) They have a wonderful beach that is a 15 min bumpy ride away and it is worth doing a day or two. Make sure you visit Lola's restaurant and meet their pet 500 lb pig! The pig actually goes into the ocean (if you don't believe me google Lola's pet pig Lolita.

6) If you are thinking about breaking your trip into multiple stops in Costa Rica, I would make this place your last stop because you won't want to leave! Fly into and out of Liberia airport, it is an amazingly nice and small airport that has jet service from many airlines (United, American, JetBlue, etc.) It is only an hour drive to hotel vs over 4 hrs from San Jose.

7) You will see wild monkeys, iguanas, huge toads and tree frogs, etc. Don't believe the rumors of tons of snakes, scorpions, etc... we saw one small non poisonous snake the whole time we were there and the guys working at the resort do a good job of keeping the hotel very clean.

8) The staff at Los Altos was amazing. The women that run the resort are unbelievable. If it were not for them I would not be writing this review. I cannot say enough about the professionalism of the staff in both the hotel and the spa.

9) If you like to do Yoga (I don't) you will love it here. My girlfriend did Yoga every morning and I tried it twice. Amy the instructor was awesome, I recommend trying it at least once.

10) Last but not least my only warning....if you see the owner Calvin roaming around after 8:30 pm at night, do yourself a favor and go to your room and lock the door :) I am half kidding but somewhat not kidding, lets just say he has loose lips when he has been drinking too much.

I hope this review helps and I assure you, you would never regret staying here, this was the best vacation I have ever had.

Room Tip: If you can afford the Eros Suite I highly recommend it, but there isn't a bad room in the place.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Travis M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I feel guilty that it's taken me four months to write this review. We had an AMAZING time at Los Altos de Eros. Our first two nights in Costa Rica, we stayed at a large all-inclusive hotel, which was nice in its own right, but then we checked into Los Altos de Eros and saw the light. It didn't take long to know it. Even though we arrived later in the evening, we were greeted by a warm staff and a warm and delicious meal that was the best we had our entire time there. We didn't have a need or desire that wasn't met over the course of the next two days. They setup surf lessons, took us to the beach and arranged the couples sunset message, which is an absolute must if you go. I don't need to go on because there are so many glowing reviews here, but this is the kind of place that makes you feel like you owe it to the world to spread the good word. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Book far in advance as it's a small resort and I'm afraid the word is out.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rob R
Branford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

My wife and I visited Los Altos in the middle of March, staying in the fabulous Eros Suite. The suite was great having a sitting area and private balcony from where we could watch sunsets on the Pacific. I'm typically a person that does not like a vacation of 'just hanging around the pool or beach.'
Where to start with how great and luxurious this place is:
First and foremost: Los Altos' staff was great in helping us schedule/arrange our excursions (a catamaran tour along the coast, zip line canopy tour, surfing). Everybody they connected us with was top notch!
As most other reviewers have said, the staff really make this place special: most the staff, if not all, have genuine pride in the resort and this MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! The food was fantastic. The spa was world-class set on a mountain top overlooking the ocean. The massages were the best I've had anywhere. It was very convenient to have a driver take you anywhere you needed (not to mention cheaper than a taxi). We participated in the cooking class on Tuesday afternoons, and it was a great experience to learn local cuisine as well as spend time with the other guests. Since there are only 5 rooms at the resort, you get to know the other people (typically couples) at the resort. This makes the experience even more enjoyable.
Our trip to Los Altos and the Tamarindo area was the best vacation I've been on compared to trips to the Dominican Republic, western Europe, and Vietnam. The biggest difference was the small, family-like atmosphere, and large amount of personalized attention. All this combined with a world-class spa, great excursions, and the cutest English Lab named Coco guarantees that we will be back.

Room Tip: They are all great, but the Eros Suite is worth it!
6 Thank Peter L
Branford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

My husband and I just got back from Los Altos De Eros and we already are planning our return. From the moment we arrived at the airport and were greeted by our driver, Francisco who then offered us a beer, our trip was amazing. The staff at Los Altos de Eros made our stay wonderful. From the wonderful ladies that work the front desk and helped us book every excursion we needed, to the amazing ladies in the kitchen, to the drivers who brought us to wherever we needed to go, and to Antonio who not only was a driver but also a handy man and the baker of the best chocolate croissants we have ever had, the staff is first rate!

In terms of the food, it was truly amazing. While we liked everything made for us, we were addicted to the mango smoothies with orange juice as well as the home made guacamole and fresh tortilla chips! My husband and I did the cooking class during our stay and we would highly recommend it!

My husband and I were lucky to stay in the Eros Suite for our six night stay. The suite was very spacious and we had our own balcony from which we loved watching the sun set.

When coming to Los altos, I was not sure what to think about having meals with all the other guests. However, this was one of the best parts of our trip. All the people we met were great and we spent quite a few late nights sitting at the large dinner table really getting to know one another.

While we loved the hotel, our most favorite aspect of it was Coco, the resort's chocolate lab. Coco is an extremely friendly and well behaved dog that loves to have his belly rubbed. On our last morning at Los Altos, my husband and I took Coco for a 5km hike around the grounds. Coco also decided to visit us during our sunset dinner and massage. We fell in love with Coco and I think if we were able to, we would have taken him home with us!

Overall, we would highly recommend staying at Los Altos de Eros. From the friendly staff, to the amazing food, to the beautiful views, to Coco, it is truly a place not to miss!

3 Thank Alyssa L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Spent the day at the spa and it was the best spa experience I ever had! The view is breathtaking and the treatments are first class. The meal and services were fabulous. I will definitely be back on my next trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed March 2012
Caledon, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

There are not enough superlatives to describe this place. We were greeted by an amazing, efficient, friendly staff. The location, on top of a small mountain, is beautiful. You can see the ocean shimmering in the distance. The building is like a very high class B&B - only five rooms grouped around a fabulous pool. Our room was very comfortably furnished, air conditioned and very pleasant. The meals - three a day - were taken with the other guests, which was delightful as we had a friendly group. The food was plentiful, delicious and varied and all cooked in the kitchen by an amazing staff. We have stayed at remote places in Costa Rica before but were never given all the extras that Los Altos gives with the cost of your room. There was coffee, tea, cold water, wine, beer, soft drinks and freshly baked cookies offered at no cost all day every day. If you wanted a ride into town or the beach, there was no cost added. They even did personal laundry at no charge. We had a couples massage and a romantic dinner in the spa. The massage was wonderful and the food delicious with more wine than we could drink. It was a delightful evening and I am not a fan of massages. This is a beautiful, peaceful place to reconnect with your significant other and to have a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Our Room #3 has a queen sized bed but there are king-sized beds in other rooms
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Countrygirl6841
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

This was our second trip to Los Altos and will not be our last. This year we booked the Eros Suite for our entire stay and enticed our British friends to join us for the week. It was everything we remembered from last year and more. We were greeted by the lovely staff including Francisco who picked us up in LIberia, Tatiana, Yanina and Hania who took care of our every need each day and Antonio who drove us to the beach and made fabulous pastries each day! The amazing women who cook are truly remarkable. They turn out fresh, interesting and delicious meals and always remember how you like your coffee. I started my day with the 5.5 kilometer loop trail and one day was accompanied by the lovely Coco, Los Altos' gorgeous chocolate lab. Then I did yoga with Amy in the dreamy yoga studio, which overlooks the Pacific Ocean and is surrounded by tropical breezes, birds and the occasional monkey. The trips to Avellanas Beach were a lovely distraction on the days we didn't just lounge by the pool or take advantage of the soothing and professional spa treatments. We can't wait to be back next year!

Room Tip: All five rooms are lovely but the Eros Suite is a real treat with a private balcony for watching the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends