New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“WRSC = Greatest Place on Earth” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Witch's Rock Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
New York City, New York
“WRSC = Greatest Place on Earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I didn't think my second trip down to WRSC could top my first trip, but this past trip certainly did! First time visitor or returning guest, you are welcomed as part of the WRSC family. Going on a surf vacation to WRSC is a no brainer, just book it already!! Or don't and I will go for you instead!!

Pura Vida!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

What stood out for me about the surf lessons is that the staff really cared the people improved at surfing and had a good time. During my stay there, the waves were very small on two of the days. Instead of taking the easy way out and just blaming mother nature, they drove us to another beach at no additional expense.

On our way back from one of these trips, the instructors collected money for anyone who wanted lobster. I was just expecting one, instead, I ended up being forced to eat five lobster tails and calamari before calling it quits. Definitely above and beyond.

The cheap rooms are very basic and perfect because I hardly spent any time in it. If you need amenities, there are many hotels in the area they partner with and will still provide you lessons. I spent part of my stay at a hotel 4 blocks away called the Cocodrillo. It's also on the beach and actually cheaper. However, for those who are considering other hotels, keep in mind that WRSC chose the location because of where the waves break. Other hotels may be on the beach but you'll have to walk to where the waves are.

For those who worry about the offers of illicit activities in Tamarindo, it's actually a lot less than many other party towns throughout the region. Don't negotiate, just walk away and they won't hassle you. Don't hit the clubs until 12am unless you enjoy being the only one there.

Room Tip: Consider other hotels if amenities are essential. They partner with other hotels and will still pro...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
wilmington, delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

I realize that the title sounds a little over the top, but here is what I got out of it: Learning to surf, meeting new friends and relaxing in a wonderful country!

HOTEL
We were referred to WRSC by a friend. The place is small and quaint. It IS NOT a four seasons hotel, but thats part of the charm. Everyone there has a smile and a CR hand shake for you. The place is very laid back and open. The food is better than you would expect from such a low key looking place. The sushi and the ceviche rocked. It was awesome to stroll down in the morning, drink your coffee and catch up with your new friends until your lesson time.

SURF SCHOOL
This is why we came to WRSC. The instructors we had were very helpful in getting you on the board without making you feel bad during the many times that you don't. They seemed to make a point of remembering your name and saying hi in between classes. Each one had a different way of teaching, so it helped to bounce around a bit. Each night they had a low key class on something surf related (one was given by Endless Summer fame Robert August). These were ok, and really a good way to meet other people and grab a free drink.

When the waves were low, the school took us to the waves. They also let us adjust the plan to fit our deal.

Definitely take a day to zip line, atv or do some other activity. Front desk can set it all up.

The bar was fun, but the music could get loud (they shut down around 9:00 and the Joe's bar around 10. The outside bar was cool as well.

We had a blast. If you have an interest in surfing, give it a shot at Witch's Rock. You wont be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank lmikles
Gig Harbor, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

The cult appeal aside, the food isn't worth it. The setting is outstanding, and really appeals to the local surf community - I get that. But I've eaten there twice - the nachos were cold and the fish was overcooked and tough. Tamarindo is full of great places to eat. Pass this one by.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

The location of Witch's Rock Surf camp (directly on the beach) is perfect! The ocean view from my room (#2) was spectacular. The instructors were all very good and patient. (and cute!) The attached restaurant "Joe's" had terrific food - especially if you like sushi. Who knew I'd find great sushi in Costa Rica.....The camp should do more on day 1 or 2 to introduce guests to other guests, since Joe's (the common area) was open to the public, you never knew if a person was a WRSC guest or if they just came off the street.

The surfing right outside of WRSC was packed (in my opinion (Jan.) with beginners who had never been on a board before - which meant there were flying surfboards all over the place. So this meant there was no solitude waiting for the perfect wave. I prefer my own beach with my own waves.....maybe I'm spoiled from previous trips. So if you have some surf ability, then be sure to cross the river mouth and head to Playa Grande to surf. Ahhhhh, that's more like it! The boat ride over costs $1 USD or you can chance it paddling over the croc-infested river. Good times!

Room Tip: Room #2 has a spectacular ocean view right from your bed. Else get the room above #2 for your own b...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dreamer1000
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Everyone at Witch's Rock Surf Camp makes sure you have the best vacation ever. There is never a dull moment and the instructors create an atmosphere of fun for every level of surfer. There is plenty of one-on-one time with instructors and if you are a beginner you will feel confident in a very short time. There are surf safaris to beautiful beaches, in a small van, enabling you to get to know your buddies along the way.
The camp/hotel is great. Everything you need is there. All the gear you need, good food, good atmosphere and a safe place to be. Right on the beach and every room has a good view and ac.
There are only two drawbacks. Sometimes the hot water is not consistent, making for an interesting shower and the plumbing is an issue, so NOTHING goes into the toilet, not even toilet paper. Really, these are easily overlooked. After all, it IS a surf camp....
I had a fabulous week and would definitely return. Nothing but fun for any age and any level of surfer!

Room Tip: Rooms with one bed, like Tiki, are really small, funky and for one person only.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

This Thanksgiving trip was my third time at WRSC in two years. I brought my nephew in March 2010 for his first international surf trip. Then my wife and I came down at Thanksgiving in 2010 and had so much fun that we booked again this year. By Thursday Franny was ready to book for 2012 (am I a lucky guy or what!). There were three couples travelling together from San Diego and everyone had a great time. We met some great people last year who make the annual pilgrimage to WRSC in November and have made this our 2nd annual T-day surf trip! Thanks again to Joe/Holly for what they have created in CR!

As most of the other posts will attest too, we met some really outstanding people on this trip. Lots of fun surfing and hanging with really interesting people! The crew from last year made this special for us too. My wife really had a great time in her surf lessons this year thanks to her dedication at Core Power Yoga, warm water and outstanding WRSC instructors (props to Jorge Luis). The daily boat trips to find good surf are what this is all about if you already know how to surf. Thanks to Chilo and Carlos for taking us to the best spots! Oh by the way, we surfed with Pearl Jam at Roca Bruja on the day trip to Ollie's and WR. Made the trip for our friend Maz to meet Eddy! See you all in November!
Uncle Dave