All reviewsboard cageintermediate groupvideo analysisel vaquerorobert augustpura vidaendless summercosta ricacatch wavesskill levelnew friendssolo tripshared roombanana pancakesgreat waveswhole weekboard rentals
Reviewed February 24, 2015

My son and I just returned from 9 days with Witches Rock Surf Camp. We were in the intermediate group and our main instructor was Flash and sometimes Isaac. They were both great instructors in very different ways. Both very considerate with picking surf spots that suited the group and with offering really detailed instruction or leaving you alone if that was what you wanted. They took our progress seriously and we both improved quite a lot because of their guidance. I highly recommend the camp. We stayed at Laguna Crocodillo. The rooms are extremely simple but were clean and had plenty of hot water, shady hammocks and 2 minute walk to The Camp. The bakery on the premise has great sweets and a fantastic breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank wavyjp
Reviewed February 18, 2015

We did a father/daughter trip the week of 1/31/15 to 2/7/15. It's fun to see some of the other friends/guests and their reviews from that week. There was a really good feeling of family that week and that was a key benefit of the week.

WRSC makes a surf experience in a foreign land EASY. That's the best way I can describe it. Once we landed, cleared customs (ha ha) and found our driver everything feel into place and the anxiety started washing away. Pura Vida began. Although expensive, what you are paying for is the entire experience and the coordination. That made it well worth the price. We were in the beginner program.

WRSC is located exactly on the best section of beach in Tamarindo. Further down the beach to the south it gets rocky and not the place to learn. Of course, all the other surf instructors also bring their clients down there. WRSC does not claim to be at the famous Witchs Rock nor did we think it was. Google maps will quickly show you that.

Room:
We had an ocean front room w/balcony. Our room was OK and met our expectations. We read the reviews and didn't expect anything special. Kind of like a place that hosted spring break the week prior. Clean freaks beware. The AC worked great, I figured out how to close and lock the balcony door (the screen door was broken). The beds probably had some interesting stories to tell but I was too exhausted to care. Big shower that worked fine. No ants or other creatures. The music from across the street was loud but only on weekend nights. We used earplugs.

Surf:
Lessons are run 2 hours before and 2 hours after high tide. KNOW THE TIDE SCHEDULE before you book. High tide for our week was in the afternoon and the winds were howling some days and the water was crowded. Early morning would be ideal.
J Luis was our assigned instructor and we were pleased. Each day we could feel the progression. Though on Thursday 4:30 PM all the male instructors got distracted by fish, bikinis and their desire to surf. That lesson was a disaster. No one felt safe. It was like demolition derby on surf boards. Twenty something surf dudes...what more can I say. At our graduation at Playa Grande we had head high surf and J Luis was 100% focused that day.

We attended all the seminar sessions and enjoyed them all. The science of waves, etiquette and especially the paddling session with Flash.

Food:
Eat at Joe's was exactly what we had hoped for. Excellent breakfast, good lunch and a night of Sushi watching the Super Bowl.
The staff at Joe's is fantastic. A special shout out to Ferdinand and Irene.

Sophia gave us some good information on the best ice cream and coffee in Tamarindo.

Need pain medication, minor medical attention, Rx drugs you can't get without a prescription in the US have no fear. The pharmacy is 2 minutes away with all sorts of good stuff.

WRSC was a great experience. The small hotel atmosphere helps connect everyone, staff and guests. We really felt like we were with friends. I'm sure you can find a better room or a better surf instructor in Tamarindo but WRSC pulls it altogether and makes the entire trip easy.

Final thoughts:
take the estuary tour ($20 for 2 hours) before you think about crossing the river to Playa Grande. You really need to know what's in that water and how big it is. The water taxi across is only $1 each way and well worth the price.

Communication with the world... WRSC WIFI works outside the room not inside. We use Verizon Wireless and found out in advance that the cost for data is astronomical ($24 per MB) Yes Mega Byte. We shut off Cellular Data on our iPhones and used WIFI for messaging and email.

Thanks Pat for making this trip great.

Surf lesson

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank JSIME1
Reviewed February 16, 2015

I arrived on Jan 31, 2015 and departed 2/7/15. Really did not want to leave. I was upgraded to a penthouse that could have housed a lot more people and I thoroughly enjoyed it; kitchen amenities, beautiful balcony and the best neighbors! The balcony became the place to meet for most of us for sunsets! This place is amazing...the instructors are helpful, safety oriented and determined to get you up on the board (thank you for your patience, Josimar)! By the second day, it was as if all who were staying at the hotel were family and had known each other for a long time. I met and befriended some of the best people! Oh, Canada! The food, drink and rooms were all consistently good - the housekeepers were really patient waiting for you to leave your room - they did a great job. The bartenders at Vaquero were so much fun; you just never felt like a stranger anywhere you went on the property. As a matter of fact, I think the entire town was like that....welcoming, friendly and warm! Am I going back? Without a doubt!

Room Tip: I was upgraded from a balcony to a penthouse! I highly recommend it!
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Paula V
Reviewed February 15, 2015

I really can't say enough good about the trip. I was there from Feb7th-14th and traveled alone. I shared a room with two other guys I didn't know and by the end of the week we had all become great friends. There were about 12 or so of us that really got along well and hung out for the week. The surfing was great. As a beginner, the instructors did a good job making sure that you had a good foundation, and also that you were safe in the water while you learned. I had Erlyn as my instructor and by the end of the week felt pretty confident surfing on my own. The group trip to Playa Avellanas was a total blast. It was great to surf with the group of friends I had made. The staff was super accommodating during the week. The town itself had a lot of cool places to eat/hang out. The only thing I could say I would change is the music at the restaurant (all 80s-90s rock) can get a little repetitive. That is literally the only "bad" thing I can say. Other than that, I cannot wait to go back

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Ken L
Reviewed February 15, 2015

This is the third time I’ve visited Guanacaste Costa Rica. The first trip was to Nosara in 2006 and Tamarindo in 2011 and 2015. The previous trips were adventure/surf trips. This time I went with my wife and two other couples so it was a little more relaxed.

Witch’s Rock is a surf camp so each room is required to have one surfer enrolled in the lessons. I took the beginners class. The instructor was excellent and really concentrated on proper form and ensure you have a good time learning regardless of your ability. They have one instructor for two students which allows detailed instruction on your form. Once you are surfing with good form, they work on reading the waves and positioning yourself to get down the line. Each night they have sessions to review video and teach a little more about surfing. Since I was with other couples I didn’t take part but others in the surf group really enjoyed the video sessions.

Eat at Joe’s is a relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast is included with the room and after spending the morning surfing it is excellent. I liked The Scrambler (scrambled eggs, black beans and plantains) to refuel each morning. The food is a mix of Costa Rican and American. Nothing special but that is typical for the area. The airflow through the restaurant made it one of the coolest (temperature) places to eat in Tamarindo. The coffee drinkers in the group all agreed the Costa Rican coffee was the best they have ever had.

El Vaquero is a bar atmosphere and pub style food. My wife and I thought the quesadilla was one of the best we have had anywhere. The meat has a spicy barbecue flavor that really hit the spot for lunch.

The hotel rooms are tile floor and kept clean. The beds were comfortable. The rooms are on the smaller side but that also allowed the air conditioner to keep the room cool. The rooms are rather basic but you really shouldn’t be spending a lot of time there. Witch’s Rock is about surfing and not lounging in the room.

Witch’s Rock can set-up almost any tour/activity you would like. Our group took advantage of the zip-line tour. We did set-up a boat trip through the estuary outside the resort. We just walked over to the river and bartered with one of the local fisherman named Daniel. I highly recommend his tour. He and his cousin have a red boat and they took us deep into the estuary were we saw many birds, a few crocodiles, and a troop of howler monkeys.

Overall this was an excellent experience and I will return to Witch’s Rock.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends