“We still had a blast in the dry season!”
Review of Off Road Costa Rica - CLOSED

Off Road Costa Rica
More attraction details
Owner description: Off Road Adventures Costa Rica offers 1/2, full and multi-day jeep adventure tours of the Costa Rican backcountry. Based in Tamarindo Costa Rica, the tours highlight the stunning flora, fauna, beaches and culture of this beautiful country. Clients drive their own vintage Toyota Land Cruisers, are provided with an Indiana Jones bag (field guides, binoculars, two-way radios, maps, magnifying glasses, bandanas and machetes) and follow our expert guides through the forests and countryside.
Reviewed 7 April 2009

My husband and I were in Tamarindo from March 11-16 which is the (VERY) dry season. We still had a blast without the mud! Our tour was the highlight of our trip to CR. Ted took us to some challenging spots for my husband to drive the Land Cruiser. My husband had a great time driving the off the beaten path areas in the area. We really wanted a less touristy way to experience the area and see the wildlife. That's what we got. I'm a nature buff and Ted was full of information to share. He can hold his own in this area. We stopped and did a zip line along the way and also stopped at Lolla's on Playa Avellenas. We would have never found Lolla's on our own and it's one of the coolest places ever. Thanks so much Ted, Karen, and Hannah for an amazing day!

Reviewed 27 July 2008

I’m giving Off Road Costa Rica a low rating because the tour simply didn’t justify the cost. My friends and I did the full day tour at a cost of $160 per person. The day started out with Ted and his crew picking us up at our hotel. The Toyota Land Cruisers were something to see driving through town. We were immediately disappointed because we learned that our Land Cruiser’s transfer case wasn’t working. That meant it would only operate in two-wheel drive. Although that was disappointing, we also thought it might be a good challenge to tackle tough terrain in two-wheel drive. Unfortunately, we didn’t get much of an opportunity to go through anything tough. It seemed as though our lack of four-wheel drive ended up with us driving on more tame roads.

There were several other Land Cruisers in the group and all of them had four-wheel drive. At the beginning of the day we were told that we would have the opportunity to drive the other Land Cruisers, so we didn’t have any problem with starting off in the two-wheel drive one. Unfortunately, we never had the chance to drive the others. It wasn’t mentioned or offered at all throughout the day.

It was a full day of driving and sightseeing. Ted was able to provide some interesting insights into the Tamarindo area, which was great, but at $160 per person, it wasn’t worth it. My friends and I rented a Daihatsu SUV with four-wheel drive and we went through more rugged terrain at a fraction of the cost. Definitely not the same thing, but I’m mentioning it as a frame of reference.

I’m giving Off Road Costa Rica two stars because Ted seemed like a nice guy with good intentions. Ultimately, as a tour, a service, it didn’t justify its cost.

4  Thank iwishiwasadj
Reviewed 22 July 2008

Ted is AMAZING!!! He brings the jeeps/landcruisers to your hotel, picks you up, everything! He brought machetes to chop through the jungle, you get to drive the vehicles, you TOTALLY get muddy, wild & crazy off road!!! It's awesome!!! We did the all day tour with 12 people just before our wedding & I was having a BLAST!!! Ted took us to this awesome overlook over Tamarindo, then back down to the jungles, stopped a couple of times to show everyone some things in the forest.

You get to slam through HUGE mud puddles, through rivers & creeks, and get completely muddy!!! Something my husband & I were totally into since a lot of tours only take you out & show you through a window the wildlife.

Ted took us to a zipline after the morning, then down to the beach to eat at Lola's (which is awesome!!). The beach was beautiful, and we had a chance to jump in & wash off some of the mud. All the girls wore our bikinis the whole time, and it was just a blast!!!

Make sure you wear things that you don't mind getting muddy! When our jeep broke down, we got 100% soggy muddy getting it out, but it was hilarious & sooo much fun!!!

Everyone, girls & guys, loved this tour, was WELL WORTH every single second/penny to do this!!!!

1  Thank Whoop13
Reviewed 15 July 2008

Ted's Land cruiser tour through the dry forest will have you holding on tight and wiping the mud off your face, especially if you are sitting in the back seat! We are a family of 3, with a 7 year old who are up for anything. Ted's crew will meet you at Capitan Suizo (transportation to hotel you need to get on your own) and give you a 20 minute intro about the vehicles and what the intinerary is for the day. We went on the tour in our own cruiser, with my hubby driving. You must be proficient with a stick shift! We first went to a scenic cliff overlooking the various beaches and forestry, took some pics and headed to the forest. Dont expect to drive fast or rush around, this is not how the operation works. The roads are filled with pot holes and winding roads, so you will be going slow. We stopped to learn about some indigenous tree species and proceeded to the mud puddles. There is a very high possibility that you will get stuck in the mud, so be patient and have fun while you wait for your turn. After a few hours of mud, we proceeded to Lola's on Playa Avellanas where you can grab a bite to eat on a gorgeous beach. Lola the pig can be grumpy, so dont try and touch her when she is sunbathing on the beach. She weighs more than you and your 2 buddies combined. The atmosphere at Lola's makes you feel like a cool surfer dude, but the prices are a little steeper than what most surfer dudes can afford. It was a great place though! Buy your tour guide a beer and chat him up for some great socialization.

1  Thank val2008Mass
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 April 2008

Am really late getting this review in. My husband and I were married in Costa Rica back in November. As part of a surprise for him I booked an 8 hour day with Ted & Rose. Had some family fly in for the wedding and we all had such a good time out on excursions that we asked one member to keep traveling around with us. Earned us the name "U, me & dupre".

Anyway, true to their website, Rose and Ted came and picked us up at the hotel and we had a blast. Apparently due to all the rain the roads we went on had some pretty good washout and had a couple trees down in the way. Had to use the winch to clear the path.

Had lunch at a hotel restaurant that was decent and then got back on the road for the remainder of the trip. All in all this area of Costa Rica was the only place we were able to see the howler monkeys and part of the trip took us by an exhibit of poison dart frogs/ serpentarium & butterfly garden.

The end of the day brought us to a private beach for the sunset.

We'd definitely do it again and would like to see a different area next time.

1  Thank SAHTN