“Thanks Ted!!”
Review of Off Road Costa Rica - CLOSED

Off Road Costa Rica
More attraction details
Owner description: Off Road Adventures Costa Rica offers 1/2, full and multi-day jeep adventure tours of the Costa Rican backcountry. Based in Tamarindo Costa Rica, the tours highlight the stunning flora, fauna, beaches and culture of this beautiful country. Clients drive their own vintage Toyota Land Cruisers, are provided with an Indiana Jones bag (field guides, binoculars, two-way radios, maps, magnifying glasses, bandanas and machetes) and follow our expert guides through the forests and countryside.
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Hey Ted,
Thanks for a great time! I enjoyed everything from the discussions we had on our trip to lunch at that awesome soda. You made it something to remember Costa Rica by! I will definitely look you up next time I am there.

Reviewed 16 May 2009

We recently traveled to Costa Rica for our family vacation w/ kids ages 9 & 12yrs. The day we spent driving Land Crusers with Off Road Costa Rica was the most memorable! We got to see parts of the country that we would never have seen any other way. My husband loved driving the vehicle and the children really enjoyed the unique plants, off road terrain, and spending some time with HOWLER monkeys. Lunch surfside at Lola's (home of an enormous pig) was awesome! Afterwards we cooled off with a refreshing swim at a beautiful beach! Ted and his crew were extremely accommodating and shared their wealth of knowledge about the country. We also enjoyed Hannah, Ted's "four legged assistant". Your journey to this beautiful place would not be complete without spending a day with OFF ROAD COSTA RICA!!

Reviewed 15 April 2009

My wife and I were in the Tamarindo area in February. I am a LandCruiser fanatic so Off Road Costa Rica was a must do for us.Ted and his guide Jose picked us up at the JW Marriott in the morning and started our 8 hour adventure. Ted is an expert on the nature and wildlife in this area so you'll learn a lot. He has great guides as well. We stopped and watched a troop of Howler Monkeys for about an hour and got great pictures. We saw some really cool beaches and explored some areas we would never had found.

Ted is great about customizing your trip. Let him know what it is you want to do and he'll do the best to make it happen. Costa Rica has offers so much, but if you are going to be in the area call Ted. You'll be glad you did.

Reviewed 7 April 2009

My husband and I were in Tamarindo from March 11-16 which is the (VERY) dry season. We still had a blast without the mud! Our tour was the highlight of our trip to CR. Ted took us to some challenging spots for my husband to drive the Land Cruiser. My husband had a great time driving the off the beaten path areas in the area. We really wanted a less touristy way to experience the area and see the wildlife. That's what we got. I'm a nature buff and Ted was full of information to share. He can hold his own in this area. We stopped and did a zip line along the way and also stopped at Lolla's on Playa Avellenas. We would have never found Lolla's on our own and it's one of the coolest places ever. Thanks so much Ted, Karen, and Hannah for an amazing day!

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 July 2008

I’m giving Off Road Costa Rica a low rating because the tour simply didn’t justify the cost. My friends and I did the full day tour at a cost of $160 per person. The day started out with Ted and his crew picking us up at our hotel. The Toyota Land Cruisers were something to see driving through town. We were immediately disappointed because we learned that our Land Cruiser’s transfer case wasn’t working. That meant it would only operate in two-wheel drive. Although that was disappointing, we also thought it might be a good challenge to tackle tough terrain in two-wheel drive. Unfortunately, we didn’t get much of an opportunity to go through anything tough. It seemed as though our lack of four-wheel drive ended up with us driving on more tame roads.

There were several other Land Cruisers in the group and all of them had four-wheel drive. At the beginning of the day we were told that we would have the opportunity to drive the other Land Cruisers, so we didn’t have any problem with starting off in the two-wheel drive one. Unfortunately, we never had the chance to drive the others. It wasn’t mentioned or offered at all throughout the day.

It was a full day of driving and sightseeing. Ted was able to provide some interesting insights into the Tamarindo area, which was great, but at $160 per person, it wasn’t worth it. My friends and I rented a Daihatsu SUV with four-wheel drive and we went through more rugged terrain at a fraction of the cost. Definitely not the same thing, but I’m mentioning it as a frame of reference.

I’m giving Off Road Costa Rica two stars because Ted seemed like a nice guy with good intentions. Ultimately, as a tour, a service, it didn’t justify its cost.

4  Thank iwishiwasadj