All reviews puerto viejo sloth sanctuary air conditioning the east coast breakfast was included nice pool outstanding service nice restaurant several days bigger room keep in mind outdoor restaurant wifi access beach access diana dogs manager
Reviewed March 3, 2018

Flor at front desk tried very much to be helpful but couldn't fix much. The pillows had black mold on ALL of them. She got us different ones but they smelled oddly of things being in a closet too long. They show lovely pictures of 2 story building but we got put into an old, SMELLY 1 story building. Supposedly all booked but only 3 cars in parking lot...one of them ours. Yes, maybe, they took tourist buses but with everything else; we didn't really believe that they were completely booked.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Vicki S
Reviewed January 8, 2018

We stayed at Hotel Playa Westfalia for about a week, using it as base to explore the east coast of Costa Rica. It worked out perfectly for that purpose, and the hotel was very comfortable, clean, and reasonably priced. The staff was also very friendly, efficient, and helpful. Perhaps because we were staying for several days, we were given a wonderful, two room suite (wit a kitchen and spacious balcony) overlooking the pool and the ocean/beach. Highly recommended!

Room tip: Ask for the "big room" on the second floor, overlooking the pool/beach.
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank JeffY259
Reviewed December 26, 2017

Cruise ship stop in Limon Costa Rica for a day, didn't want to take my 84 year old father on the cruise ship guided tours, Wanted some peace & quite away from the crowds. We rented a room for the day at Hotel Westfalia, easy 10 minute taxi ride from port to solitude and great food (call ahead and they will make arrangements). Staff is very welcoming, and manager Diana was very sweet and is a top rate chef. Try the arroz con pollo or any of the offerings with the Caribbean sauce. Simply delicious. Rooms are very nice, porch/patio very relaxing, lovely flora & fauna (several sweet perros). Black sand beach - ocean too rough for swimming but great for walking. Wish I could have stayed for several days.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank R3241GJjeff
Reviewed December 7, 2017

Not knowing our arrival time we waited to book through booking.com a budget priced room for $56.-. On arrival they told us only standard room $80.- was available. Showing them that I could immediately book the budget room the young woman made a phone call and then informed me that budget rooms were not available. After waiting another few minutes to "supposedly" figure out the situation, the budget rooms miraculously disappeared from the booking paltform and the lady on the phone then told me that "no, she would not be in any way helpful to people who were just out to get a better room for a cheaper price and that she doesn't understand why she has to have this conversation with me anyway"!!!! I could not believe what I was hearing! There was no offer of finding a solution only more expensive ones. I have traveled all my life to many countries all over the world and NEVER have I been treated with such disrespect!
And it didn't seem like they were booked out or even had a lot to do...nobody around, not cleaned up beach, no motivation.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Viola M
Diana M, other at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2018

Good Morning Ms. Viola.

Paper can hold everything you want to write, reality is another thing.
When you saw the room, was available in Booking.com, when you showed up to the front desk, it was not available anymore, is not our fault is an offer issue, and that does not give you enough reason to be rude and demand a better room for the same price.

This is not aceptable to show up and beleive that if the room you need is not available, the hotel has to give you another one.

You did not want a solution, you were demanding another room for the same price, I am sure in your country you wont be do anything like this, why do you believe that the rules in this hotel shoudlt be follow? or why you beleive you can behaive the way you did?

What you said about the beach and pool of course is a lie, you wanted to sy¿tay with us, but you couldnt, that is why, you wrote that.

Wish you the best!!

Reviewed November 12, 2017

Folks----look at the last few reviews--see a common theme??? I live in Costa Rica and travel a lot. I know this place since it was built. WAS very very nice---beautiful tile work way out of the ordinary. Right on the beach and was perfect. WAS is the catch word here. Good Lord they charged us 112 dollars per room--more than what we discussed when making the reservation. The rooms STINK! So much mold it hurt to breath---the pillows were black with mold and disgusting and the sheets not washed. So it's nine o'clock and we have guests with a 4 year old and we had been on the road all day--TIRED! My wife gets the manager to the room and he was just plain nasty, rude and has NO CLUE what customer service is. He was so nasty to my wife he is lucky I did not knock him out and tells us to leave and go find a hotel and he will refund our money. Yeah right--nine o'clock and needing sleep and with 4 year old go out hotel hunting. He said he has no access to clean sheets and pillows. Well my wife took his photo, read him the riot act (she is Costa Rican) and he did find us another room that was acceptable except for the fact the toilet did not flush! So---trust me, sleep in your car or under some leaves you will be happier---avoid this place at all costs unless they figure out the nasty jerk manager needs to be fired and close the place and clean for a week and get rid of the mold. Yes it is at the beach and it is hard but to expect people to lay on and breath black mold then abuse you with his nastiness is not worth 10 bucks let alone 112!

Room tip: Anywhere but here
Date of stay: November 2017