“Simple Good Life”
Review of Casa Las Brisas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Casa Las Brisas
Boston
“Simple Good Life”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Staying here was absolute paradise. Michel is an exceptional host; very accessible just when you need him, yet he knew when you needed privacy. My husband and I stayed at Casa Las Brisas with my husband's brother and girlfriend and had a wonderful time. Every morning we were served Michel's culinary delights, whether it included his moist and delectable banana bread, eggs, sliced fresh fruit, toast with exotic guava or pineapple preserves, or sweet and custardy french toast. Weather permitting, we had our breakfast right on the beach, with gauzy white tablecloths laid upon a table and seats made from old tree stumps. One evening we sipped our drinks (Michel with his red wine, us with our rum!) and laughed and talked late into the night. On another evening a bonfire on the beach was lit just for us, and we shared beers and got to know a little about Michel's fascinating life prior to coming to Costa Rica (he used to work in fashion!).

The decor and furniture was simple, but that is really all you need in this life, you know? No TV, no noise, no distractions. Just the wonderful simplicity of ocean breezes, lush tropical fauna, simple good food, drinks, and good conversation. And if you ever wanted more of a pool scene and full bar, Banana Azul is a stone's throw away and access to their facilities is included with your stay at Las Brisas.

Michel was absolutely amazing. I left feeling as if I were saying goodbye to an old friend. If you are looking to experience the simple good life for a little while, be sure to book your stay here.

Room Tip: Two rooms with a full size bed. One bath.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My husband and I rented an apartment separate from this building for the month of July! It was a secluded gem in the jungle. We had a wonderful time on the gorgeous beach and loved the privacy. Michel was always there to give us great tips on where to eat and things to see. Our apartment was cleaned with great care and detail. This was a great place to stay for a relaxing get away.

• Stayed July 2011
Santa Teresa
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed again at one of our favorite spots in the world and enjoyed it tremendously. Michel is a fantastic host and he's making this place and our vacation very special. His eye for details comes out in the decoration of the rooms, the yummy breakfast right on the beach (!) and his helpfulness in any way. This time we stayed in the cute casita and slept well as always with the ocean sounds in the background. Stay away from the busy town center and relax at this wonderful B&B, listening to ocean waves, reading in the beach hammocks and just enjoying life!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jcert
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Like most other people reviewing Casa las brisas, we stayed here by default as Banana Azul was full. Yes, the Banana Azul resort is beautiful and being able to use it's facilities is a huge bonus, but Casa Las Brisas deserves credit in its own right. The photos on Tripadvisor really do not do it justice: The gardens are beautiful; the location right on the beach is unbeatable;breakfast right on the beach was unforgettable; and we loved the little cabin set in the gardens. I am very glad that we chose this place. The owner is very kind and
made excellent banana bread for
breakfast - and I hate bananas!

• Stayed August 2011
Bay Area California
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I stayed at Casa Las Brisas in July 2011. I took a chance and got a local bus to Puerto Viejo and arrived at Banana Azul with my bags and no reservation. They were fully booked but put me in touch with Michel. He had room in the Casita at Casa Las Brisas. I met Michel, Wilberto and Zeena - warrior princess - the "guard" dog. Some of the reviews say she is a puppy, well now she is big.

I had the luck to stay at both the Casita and one of the regular rooms, so I could compare. The Casita is smaller, but you have the ocean right at your window. You can fall asleep with the waves crashing on the beach, it is a very unique place. The rooms in the main house are a bit roomier and have the balcony to relax in.

Michel and Wilbert serve breakfast each morning, on the beach if you want it. Where in the world can you take delicious tropical fruits, fruit juice, freshly brewed Costa Rican coffee and a warm treat prepared lovingly by Michel, right on the beach, for the amazing prize of $69 it must be the best value for money anywhere.

In addition to this, Michel and Wilbert organize a bonfire every two or three days, and we get to talk to the other guests and make friends.

My favorite part of Casa Las Brisas is the privacy of the beach front. Very few people come up here from the other hotels or the town so it feels like it is your own beach.

While I was visiting there was a sloth that actually came down to the house. I spent $30 on a tour in Manuel Antonio to see Sloths at the top of the trees, and here the sloths come down to properties. It is amazing.

I would love to go back to this little piece of paradise.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Kalispell, Montana
Reviewed 27 February 2011

My wife and I stayed at Casa Las Brisas for 7 nites after having spent 4 nites in the Garden Bath suite at Banana Azul. While we absolutely loved the Garden bath, amenities and staff at Banana Azul, Michele and Oscar really go out of their way to form a lasting friendship with the guests. You have all of the amenities of Banana Azul but the peace, serenity and friends at Casa Las Brisas. Upon our arrival Michele was away on Business so Oscar was managing the Casa and he really pulled out all of the stops. Each morning Oscar served fresh fruit, followed by an amazing breakfast. The Casita that we stayed in was clean and very comfortable and after a morning of activity, we would spend the afternoons in the hammocks, on the beach or hanging out at the Banana Azul pool. Evenings were dinner at the Banana Azul or Puerto Viejo then a glass of wine while visiting with Oscar and Michele on the front porch of Casa Las Brisas.
My wife and I have traveled quite a bit and this vacation is #1 on our list. We tried to think of what we would tell our family and friends and the only word that comes close to describing this place and the people is "Magical". I would recommend either Casa Las Brisas or Banana Azul to anyone wishing to experience true serenity, sprinkled with exciting adventures and the best part of our vacation was visiting with the locals and getting to know them. So many times you go somewhere and the staff is so busy you really don't get a chance to know them but we left Costa Rica with lifelong friendships.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2011

My boyfriend and I were here last summer and still talk about our wonderful stay - we can't wait to go back and have recommended Casa las Brisas to lots of friends and family.

Putting ourselves in Michel and Oscar hands really helped us make the best of our time in Costa Rica! Michels famous banana bread made a lasting impression - our breakfasts were amazing day after day.

Of all the beaches we visited while in Costa Rica, the black sand beach just outside the gate of Casa las Brisas was by far the most beautiful. We loved the days we spent in the hammocks on the deserted beach - alone except for Xena, Michels friendly dog and our constant companion.

Having the hotel Banana Azul right next door was most convenient: bike rentals, tours and a great restaurant all just minutes away.

We really can't say enough good things about Casa las Brisas and will most definitely return!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple