All reviews yoga instructor vegetarian food costa rica horseback riding in town life changing massage therapist san jose night life bring earplugs view of the ocean beautiful place chocolate tour classes rainforest shuttle nature
Reviewed April 3, 2018

I was bitten to death by sandflies, despite using the bed net correctly (tucked in along the sides.) Sandflies are so small they can get through the netting, and they do! The bites result in small, itchy blisters, but more to the point many sandflies carry very bad diseases, including leishmaniasis, which you don't know you've contracted until quite a while later. You will need to spray your bed net thoroughly with insecticide every night. If I had known this before hand, of course, I would have done so, but no one there had mentioned this possibility. Management in general is pretty relaxed.
What else? Breakfasts were great, with lovely fruit. Other meals were mediocre and expensive! Shuttle ($8) allows you to eat lunch in town, but it returns at 3, so for dinner you must take a taxi either way, which adds $20 altogether to your meal. Next time I plan to stay in town, even though I enjoyed the many birds visible at Samasati.

Room Tip: Casitas 4 and 5 have very nice views, 5 of the sea 4 of the jungle. Great place to see birds but bring plenty of insecticide.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank utilitarianatlarge
Reviewed April 2, 2018

I had the ultimate divine experience spending one month with Samasati during a Yoga Teacher Training this year. Nestled in the jungle outside of Puerto Viejo is this gem of a place, boasting lush grounds, two yoga shalas, casitas, and a vegan haven of a restaurant (they also serve eggs daily and meat sometimes or by request if that is your thang!)

The entire staff is magnificent from the moment you arrive. Elena + Hannah and Jam are Concierge Earth Angels. You can tell they enjoy their job, in fact, Elena has said to me directly "I love my job" and it shows, she is a ray of light. The managers are well experienced, passionate, professional and are attentive to detail. I felt very welcome in this space and look forward to returning.

I really could go on and on about this place. I had three meals a day here for 30 days and was always impressed: fresh, delicious, just perfect. Danielo + Glenda you rock my world. David, I dream of those vegan cookies.

Some reviewer below was disappointed that the (1) Rain forest Sanctuary Samasati wasn't near the beach like it's a bad thing and (2) its far from the airport. The property is a sanctuary (as described on their site) secluded in the jungle (as described on their site), which many people LOVE, AND it is worth the 5 hour gorgeous and scenic drive from San Jose (which is detailed on their site). I feel like this guy could have done better planning since he clearly just wants to be on a beach close to the airport and if someone suggested I was being creepy, I would probably evaluate my behavior in the incident instead of leaving a poor review, even creepier dude!

Also, special shout out to Stella the cat.

Thanks for the wonderful month to Samasati Squad, see you in 2019.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Yoginita
SamasatiCostaRica, Guest Relations Manager at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Jaqueline,

Thank you very much for your review, we really appreciate it.

We hope to see you very soon!

Warm regards.

Reviewed March 27, 2018

Basically, this place is so far from the airport in San Jose that you have to take looooooonnnnnnngggggg car trip (5 hours on a good day).

Also, I left early because the staff made me uncomfortable by actually suggesting that I was some sort of creep. Needless to say I was offended by the staff, in particular the management.

Go someplace else. Why wouldn't you go stay at a place on the beach?

Room Tip: Go someplace else, like the beach!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Birdmin
Reviewed February 22, 2018 via mobile

If you want to detach from the whole world and experience a stay in wild rainforest this is the place to be. Amazing,small ,very simple, very clean hotel with everything you need.
You can do yoga, massages, hiking if you like.
And get totally healthy and get your metabolism working perfect with amazing vegetarian meals they provide. Btw we tried most of the restaurants and cafes in Puerto Viejo and food in Samasati by far is the best.
Staff is very friendly and helpful we were very sad saying good bye to them.

Definitely you should stay here if you want to experience beautiful jungle nature, do yoga and forget about everything else in the world

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katya S
Reviewed December 14, 2017

This is a excellent run retreat with a fantastic staff and cook
Food was always tasty and plentiful
Lots of wildlife to be seen
If you have the chance stay, you will not be disappointed
It is a bit rustic (which in my opinion only adds to the charm) but there is always hot and cold running water and hydro but

Room Tip: go to the jaguar rescue, it is so worth the time
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple