All reviewspura vidain townlocked parkingpuerto viejodouble roomtop floorplace to staycats and dogsbeds were comfortablethree nightsroostersnetsnoisehammocksfansbirdrelaxation
Reviewed February 4, 2010

Location: 3 (short) blocks from "downtown" but that made it quiet.
Honesty: Superior - I left $110 in my laundry and it was handed back to me.
Facility: Locked in with keys for in/out access. Felt very safe.
Atmosphere: Felt like we were invading their privacy. Don't move furniture cushions or try to eat at the "sacred table" or you'll get a time out. I gave it a very good rating but Americans were distinctly treated in a less friendly manner than Europeans and Canadians by the owners - night staff was friendly. That's not just us, an American couple we talked with there felt the same. No place for teenagers.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Myself and 2 friends were travelling through Costa Rica and staying in Puerto Viejo for Christmas. I decided to book this hotel for the days we were there as it looked like the perfect place to kick back and enjoy our christmas. Although beautiful, I was slightly concerned when we arrived quite late in the evening, and had the 'rules' of the hotel explained to us - we weren't allowed to wear shoes in public areas of the hotel (?), and we were not allowed to hang wet beach clothes out on the balcony of our room (amougst other things). There were 3 of us, but only 2 sets of keys. We went out on Christmas eve and got seperated. I had to return home with no key and ring the bell. The owner was not pleased and told me wew would 'speak about this in the morning'! The next morning, on CHRISTMAS DAY, the owner knocked on our door at 9am and told us we had a hour to leave. I tried to reason with him but he refused to talk about it. Surely a hotel is prepared for people sometimes going out, coming in late, loosing keys - I understand that it isn't ideal - but these things do happen. I was not at all impressed with my stay here or with the treatment we received, and I found the attitude of the owners rude and precious.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank MissNEC
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I were recommended this hotel from our friends who stayed there in Nov. They had a pleasant stay, but our experience was very different.

Here are our complaints:
1. The owners have a long list of rules, some of which they didn't tell us until after we had broken them -- and they made us feel like children reprimanding us. For example, we had hung our beach towel on the railing outside our room to dry. The owner swiftly came and removed our towel without any word to us. The rooms are just screened in, and as we were in our room, we could see him gathering our things. My husband went to ask him what he was doing, and he said that he was going to hang them on the clothes line.
2. The owners speak German, Spanish, and English. Assuming that I didn't speak any German, they made fun of other guests right in front of us, and then they even talked about us like we weren't there! Totally rude!
3. The mattress was very uncomfortable -- both my husband and I have very sore backs after spending 4 nights here.

The hotel does have a nice setting. The owners are very organized, and give a lot of information about what to do in the area. The dog is very cute. The rooms are very clean. If you don't mind a long list of rules, and value these other things then you should stay here -- if not, please avoid it!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mn2panama
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Spent only one night here, but left mine and girlfriend's pack here for 2 additional nights while we traveled to Bocas del Tora. We didn't want to take our huge packs with us and didn't want to leave in rental car while in Panama. Owner allowed us to lock the packs in a laundry room and everything was found exactly like we left it when we returned. Very safe location, with locked entrance ways to hotel area. Also had locked parking lot. Owner was very helpful with providing accurate information to do border crossing into Panama at Sixola. I thought everyone here were very nice, but they run a "tight ship." Which shows by being a very, very clean and safe hotel. For example no shoes upstairs. I actually liked this policy, but if that is not your style, this place may not be for you.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2009

We decided to extend our stay in Puerto Viejo and found this hotel just by walking around town. It's super clean, well maintained and very safe. We stayed in a room with private bath and it was affordable and worth the price. The bathroom was very rustic and just a warning to the ladies - room #2 has a bathroom with screened windows and no curtains or window coverings. This works fine except for in the shower, where the window is low enough to feel uncomfortable if you're on the tall side. This room is on the first floor and people walk by the bathroom all day long so it can be a little uncomfortable. The mosquito nets worked fine for us and the fan brought relief from the heat. There is no alarm clock here so be sure to bring your own. Be careful about plugging things in though; I was shocked by the outlet when I attempted to plug in my camera battery charger.

Now regarding the owners, the wife was pleasant and overall helpful. Every time we saw that she was working the front desk, we felt relieved. The husband, however, was just plain rude. The first night we stayed here, we bought dinner at the grocery store right around the corner, and ate in the hotel's courtyard. Halfway though our dinner, the male owner came over and told us that we were not welcome to have "picnics" at the hotel because they "sell snacks here." We were so uncomfortable we threw away the remaining food and just went to our room. This hotel does sell beer, snacks and breakfast but not dinner. Plus, there are no signs saying that outside food is not allowed. Very strange. He never once smiled, said hello or did anything at all to make us feel welcome.

The location of the hotel is average, it's two blocks to the main road and four blocks to the nearest beach. We did love that the main grocery store is right around the corner. I would recommend that if you go out at night, bring a small flashlight if possible. Out of the four days we spent in Puerto Viejo, the power went out at night twice, for several hours. And the entire town is pitch black when the power goes out.

There are so many other hotels in this area, I'd recommend finding another one if you really want to experience pura vida in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple