Jungle Tarpon Lodge
  • Beachfront
Casa Marbella(Tortuguero)
Aninga Lodge(Tortuguero)
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 30, 2016 via mobile

I had an excellent time during my stay. Carlos, the grounds manager, welcomed me and made me feel at home while my kitchen staff made it nearly impossible to walk comfortably away from the table. The food was incredible! My guide Raggy, was a very competent and professional guide and put me into position for many casts to river tarpon and numerous hookups on eight different species. The guest cabins were clean, spacious and very comfortable. This is not a place to go if you crave "creature comforts" and don't like the heat. If though, you like an Eco-friendly lodge that allows you to be awakened by Howler Monkeys, an over-the-top friendly, well-run establishment with outstanding fishing with great dining...this is a bargain for the money you spend. My hats off to Carlos, Raggy and the whole crew at the lodge.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Duncan S
Reviewed July 17, 2015

The owner insisted the first week of November would be the prime time to come for optimal weather and fishing. He blatantly and purposefully lied to us as this is apparently the off-season for tourists. We should have known when all the other lodges were closed for the season when we arrived. Poor fishing, rain and more rain. Leaky roofs, bed bugs, faulty plumbing, no AC, no laundry, no internet, no TV, no accessible beach, no pool, no bar. Basically there's nothing to do when it's raining, the tides are bad and you can't go fishing. Why the owner ever said this would be a great spot to bring a 4 year old to is beyond me. Expensive trip and a lot of travel just to read books and play cards. I wouldn't go back if I was offered a free trip.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Brad G
Reviewed March 19, 2015

We spent 4 days in early March at the Jungle Tarpon Lodge as part of a 10 day trip to Costa Rica. We traveled with another couple and went here so that the guys could tarpon fish. We flew into San Jose, stayed overnight at a city hotel and then were picked up in the early morning and driven in a comfortable van, east to the Caribbean coast, where staff from the lodge were waiting to take us up river to the lodge. One of the nicest features of the lodge are the staff who work there. All were very friendly and tried hard to be helpful in every way they could. Only a few speak English however, which from my perspective was great and makes for a much more authentic cultural experience, but some may find it a drawback. Angelo, the manager lived in Canada for a number of years as a teen and speaks English as well as I, and the other fishing/eco tour guide, Eugene, also has very good English ability, so communication was never a problem. The rooms at the lodge are very large, with two queen size beds but very little in the way of clothes hanging space. We found the beds to be very comfortable. There are large screened windows to allow a breeze and both a standing fan and a ceiling fan helped keep us comfortable. The bathroom was reasonably sized too and hotter water for showers than I expected there might be. It is definitely a fishing lodge, nothing fancy, but everything was clean and comfortable. There were also rocking chairs to sit on the veranda outside of our rooms. Another of the great aspects of the lodge was the meals. The two women who run the kitchen are great chefs and we ate really well. There was always more food than necessary and enough variety at every meal so that even my husband who mostly doesn't eat meat, had plenty to choose from. There is always bottled water, soda and beer for whenever you wanted. I also liked how the fishing was scheduled here - they go out in the am and in the afternoon, returning after each trip for a meal which meant I could go fishing for half of a day and stay behind with my book for the other half. Sadly, the ocean did not cooperate while we were there - it was never smooth enough to get out there and fish for tarpon, but that's not something the lodge can control. At least once, the ladies went out in a separate boat for an eco tour, or an animal safari on water and were delighted and amazed at how easily Eugene could spot animals that were amazingly well camouflaged. The biggest drawback to the lodge for the ladies was that there was no where you could go on foot from the lodge. No beach to walk, no safe place to hike etc. so you have to be prepared to entertain yourself if you're not going fishing. It was no problem for us. Thanks Jungle Tarpon for a nice intro to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank readitseeit
Reviewed November 11, 2014

I'm not sure whether I should start with the the roofs that leaked in several of the six rooms they have, or mention the fact that we didn't have hot water for the first two days of our trip or begin with the drywall and paint chipped off of the walls of my room in 14 separate spots. Then again, I could start with the screened windows with no glass in my room or the room upstairs with glass windows and no screens or perhaps the dining pavilion where 4 of the 12 light bulbs worked inside filthy light fixtures. I have pictures to prove all of this should anyone ask. The rooms have no chairs for sitting, some have neither a closet nor shelves. The beds are simple bed frames with mattresses and no box springs or mattress pads. We were given no shampoo for showers and a thin towel each day. I wasn't expecting high-end but I was expecting humane. We also battled plumbing problems the entire week we were there.

I will say that the staff does the best they can with the few resources the owner appears to give them. The staff is friendly and attentive. The food, although not spectacular, is adequate. The open and free cerveza bar they claim to have is nothing more than a refrigerator the guests have access to 24x7. We frequently had to ask the staff to restock beer, waters and juices. We also experienced mechanical problems with two of the boats on different occasions.

The fishing was decent although we got conflicting stories as to when the best time was to go. The lodge owner told us early November while others at the lodge told us the best fishing was in September. Upon our arrival in early November, many of the other lodges in the area were surprisingly quiet. We paid a heck of a lot of money and didn't come close to getting an equal value in return.

Be aware that if it's too rough to get out past the breakers and you can't fish, there's no cable TV, no internet, no phones or entertainment of any kind available.

Room Tip: By best advice on how to obtain a good room? DON'T STAY THERE!
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank MIT629
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Be careful when dealing with this lodge. They offer a special. Then after you book hotels and air fare, they say that what is offered is incorrect, and double the price. When you call they confirm special. Say they will send invoice, then bait and switch.

Typical bait and switch

Room Tip: don't go Call us at 602-321-0489 wii give details
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends