Rafiki exists as a microcosm of idyllic jungle, removed from the world; it was a superb experience. We left our stay probably the most relaxed we have been in years. Despite that statement, we thoroughly enjoyed white water rafting in the mini-me down the Rio Savegre and horse riding up to Duarte’s peak, as well as the hikes on the property. There is plenty to do! What made it so special however was the laid back family like experience of the lodge, and the kindness of George, Loki and his family, and the staff.
Being Type A’s it was inconceivable before arriving that a great afternoon could be sitting on our balcony watching iguana, lizards and birds, seeing the clouds slowly seep through the mountains and doing very little else, except for maybe a ride down the water slide. Granted, this was towards the end of three wonderful weeks in Costa Rica.
While I will recommend it to anyone, I am reluctant to say it is for everyone. You need a sense of adventure, an appreciation of a unique environment and a willingness to stop and smell the roses. I am sure that the memories of sitting in the rocking chairs at the lodge, drinking Jungle go-go’s and watching a lightening storm in a darkened jungle, with its cacophony of unique sounds will be one of those memories that will wash the stress of a bad (work) day away for years to come.
The food was great and plentiful. With the exception of dinner, the meals are served when you get there, there is no strict regimen. The tents were very comfortable, the beds great and the hot water gets very hot, but you have to let it run for a bit. The balcony was the best! However, if the sight of bugs sends you nuts, well you shouldn’t be in the jungle.
Our heart felt thanks to Loki and the gang for a great time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rafiki is a sustainable adventure lodge located in the Savegre Valley of Costa Rica. The lodge sits on 840 acres of tropical forest. Rafiki specializes in custom white water rafting, horseback riding and hiking trips. Guests sleep in imported luxury Safari Tents which feature hydro electric fans and lights. Each tent sits on a raised hardwood platform, has a deluxe bathroom with glass showers heated with fire. The units also have a private porch with rocking chairs looking over the Savegre Valley. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Rafiki Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rafiki Safari Hotel Province Of Puntarenas
- Rafiki Safari Lodge Costa Rica/Province Of Puntarenas