“A very nice hotel in Jaco, just not for weekends”

Hotel Balcon del Mar
Ranked #34 of 40 Hotels in Jaco
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Overall, I really think this hotel is great, the only issue is it gets really crowded on weekends, mostly with locals and their kids, so expect lots of kids taking over the main pool. I really hated the mattress on our bed, which caused me lower back pains after 2 nights. BUT I really liked the hotel, since I stayed one additional night after the weekend, I can tell the difference: once the weekend is gone, the place is really nice. on those days you don't have buffet breakfast, but you get peace of mind. Parking is somehow limited on weekends, but they do have a security guy in charge for the night who will take care of your car.

Room Tip: Ideally you'll be able to "test drive" the beds... at least the mattress I got was rea...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We ended up at this hotel by fluke. We originally booked at Pumilio but after realizing they are 7 kms outside Jaco, we canceled our res. This hotel is very close to the beach and includes complimentary breakfast buffet and chairs on the beach with umbrellas. But be warned, the hotel is VERY basic, as in maybe the level of an old Motel 6.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank wurldtraveler09
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here two nights as a part of a school group tour and found it to be adequate, especially as far as Costa Rica hotels go.

Great proximity to the town and beach. Beautiful views, especially at sunset.

Rooms were small and clean. Furnishings were outdated and beaten up. Air conditioning was very nice. Pool and bar/restaurant area were pretty.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Horrible service, no hot water and was promised a discount but at check out I didn't get any discount and manager couldn't be contacted. Only 3 start for looks, service and beds are nothing to brag about.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The hotel is right in front of the ocean which is prime location. 2 blocks from the main strip where bars and restuarants are. The place is pricey for what the rooms look like...imagine a dorm room Our room didn't have a tv remote control, alarm clock or phone. Pretty small too. Breakfast is free in the morning, but I couldn't bring myself to eat what they were offering...even the cereal was stale. I had coffee though (breakfast of champs). No elevator in this hotel that is 4 stories. So now you know!

On a side note...Jaco is a good place to visit only if you are a surfer. The beach is ugly and has nothing to offer. The restaurants and bars are sleazy and crawling with prostitutes....I would stay away.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ali E
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Restaurant and cocktails are super expensive $7-8 bucks for a cocktail. The pool is nice and the view is nice too, room is very much standard.
Service is good.
If you go to the beach ask for beach chairs, you get them for free all day.
I think overall is too pricey for a standard hotel but we had a great time

Room Tip: 3rd floor, but some rooms view would be blocked by the building, so ask for one that is not
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Traveling with EF Tour - some variation in the rooms, our was pretty large and clean. Central courtyard swimming pool and outdoor restaurant seating. Directly across from Jaco beach so the views were great no matter where you were sitting. Staff was friendly and helpful though we had to fight to get towels on our first night. They didn't seem quite prepared for 35 people at once. They were kind enough to allow us to use the hotel computer to send a message home about an injured student when we couldn't get the wifi to cooperate on our phones.Food was good - buffet for all meals - standard Costa Rican fare, but plenty of it. Quick walk around the corner to Main St, in Jaco. This is the only of the 5 hotels we stayed at that I would consider staying in myself if I make a return trip for vacation.

Room Tip: Although the ground floor rooms are large, the only way in/out is through a glass sliding door with...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends