Hotel Club del Mar(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$115
Hotel Mar de Luz(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$65
US$274
US$247
Copacabana Hotel & Suites(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$120
Apartotel Flamboyant(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$67
Hotel Pumilio(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$81
Monte Carlo Condominium(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$166
US$112
US$60
  • Beachfront
Buddha House Boutique Hostel(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$33
All reviewsparty townbeachfront hotelmanuel antoniooceansurfingtourswaves
Reviewed January 18, 2011

If for some reason you have to stay in Jaco, then you could do worse then this place. It does have a great location right on the beach, in pretty much the middle of town. It has a very nice pool, and the breakfast is not too bad either. That unfortunately is where the fun stops.

I am a bit of a light sleeper and I was awoken throughout the night by what sounded like pumps going on and off somewhere. Dogs barking are quite common and the odd siren as it is right beside a police station. It is also loud in the day as the glass balcony doors act like an amplifier for outside noises, mostly from the pool.

The wifi only works in the lobby, and the rooms need some attention as well. Pillows were terrible, the shower sprayed all over the bathroom, and I am not a big fan of antique furniture. All that and you need to wear a bracelet as well. My favorite.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Landed at Balcon del Mar after arriving in Jaco' with no hotel reservations. The plan was to arrive early enough to scout out hotels on the beach. After cruising down each street on Jaco's main drag, I stumbled across the Balcon del Mar. I was attracted to the hotel's exterior, its location, (on beach, next to a police station), free parking, pool, and price. A sign outside the hotel read: $60 a night for 3 night stay, $70 for 2 night stay, and $80 daily rate. Needless to say, we stayed. The rooms are bare bones. Nothing nice, special or fancy, but doable. The beds aren't great and the rooms are outdated but it did serve its purpose. I was able to get wifi on my balcony and even though the pool isn't heated and was a bit cold, it was nice to take a late night dip. The restaurant is pretty darn good and cheap. The ceviche mixto ROCKED and it's only 2500 colones, about 5 bucks. For the price, the hotel was a good choice for a first timer. The corner restaurant, El Bohio, rocks! The fish is fresh, good and relatively cheap. Had a whole fried snapper almost every day and my friends had the mahi and tuna. All were fresh, filling and good. The Bohio is also a favorite hangout for expats and locals alike. The hotel is also right off Jaco's main drag so it's easy to walk to and from the strip. If you're looking for luxury, this is not the place for you. (Villa Caletas is!) But, if you're looking for budgetbeach front accomodations, this place is it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I have been going to Jaco Costa Rica for five years now and I have stated in my past reviews that we Americans have basically ruined Costa Rica by driving the price up everywhere. 5 years ago you could get a deal just about anywhere, now you have to look for them. This hotel proves my point. Its nothing more than a motel 6 but triple the price. In all fairness the staff was nice, the pool was ok, and its right on the beach. But half a block south right next to the police station of course, you have the drug dealers and hookers hanging out on the corner. The rooms are nothing special, the bed was uncomfortable, and the maid never came to clean my room even though I was gone all day. And when I came in one night I ordered a dessert from the restaurant and they gave me a stale piece of chocolate cake and charged me ten dollars for it. If this hotel was forty to fifty dollars a night I wouldn't complain. but for ninety dollars a night you could find much better places to stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2010

The reception staff were only friendly when we arrived asking for a room - it went downhill from there. On check in, we asked the receptionist for advice about our next destination (Montezuma), as there is a boat directly from Jaco - she told us that she had friends who could recommend places to stay and would ask them. When we returned to reception to ask her what her friends had said, she told us she would not ask them, and we should go to a tour operator if we wanted any information about Montezuma. She directed us to the operator next door to the hotel, who wanted to charge us more than most other tour operators in Jaco. We were surprised by such a rude response from the receptionist who had been all smiles when we checked in. Having spent a week in Costa Rica already, we were used to the friendly and helpful nature of the locals - which this receptionst put to shame.
We took a superior room at the hotel, which was comfortable and had a good sea view. The hotel restaurant was awful - grilled sea bass came fried and undercooked. The buffet breakfast was OK, but you can't go too wrong with fruit and pancakes.
The location of Balcon de Mar was convenient, as most shops/bars were round the corner and the beach was opposite. However, there are nicer hotels in a similar pricerange (i.e. the Posiedon). I would not go back to this hotel.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Stayed here two nights. We had a room facing the pool. The windows do not close so you can hear everything outside very clearly. In our first room we did not have a doorknob on the inside of the door. Just a little hole where one should be. The door was warped and didn't fit well and we had a tough time getting out of it. The TV also did not work. The front desk sent maintenance up and fixed the problems. A couple hours later the A/C went out. Maintanence came back. It worked for a couple of hours and then quit again. About 10p.m. we moved to another room. We had ants in the beds and all over the bathroom, including the toilet!

You cannot swim in the ocean across the street because of the rip tides. The police station was directly next door.

The food was OK but the restaurant was loud at night.

• Stayed: June 2010