“Great service, very nice hotel, great beach front location, very good food, will recommend to friends”

Hotel Balcon del Mar
Ranked #33 of 40 Hotels in Jaco
Reviewed 20 January 2011

We stayed for a week in Jan 2011, the hotel looked nice, just like the website pictures, hotel faces the beach and the setting sun, very nice view from our room, we had buffet dinner half the time and a la carte the rest, restaurant provides excellent south American food, restaurant overlooks the beach and setting sun as well. The waiters, front desk and other staff were very nice and very accommodating, I asked for extra towels for the room and for the beach, they were delivered to my room 5min later, wake-up call also on time, waiters were friendly. The room itself was a bit small but had a panoramic view of the beach, it also had a free digital safe and the air conditioner was very quiet and worked like a charm. The main street is just 5 min walk – very central location in town. They have a security guard on site at night, I saw him walking around our floor at 5:45 AM, and also at 11:45PM (watching us get out of the car in the pouring rain) on the days that we had day trips and had to leave early but returned late. The weather in Jaco was very nice (except for the 1 day when it poured). The beach is very pebbly, and is more of a surf beach ( I didn’t see a lot of surfers though), it was acceptable still because the waters were very warm and the beach is shallow for quite a stretch so that you can goof around in waist deep waters. We took surfing lessons, if you go to the end of the beach (behind Hotel 9 – beginners surfing area, you can rent a board for 10$ for the whole day, on the strip they ask for 50$ for a 2h lesson including board, but there is a surfing “school” right on Bohio street offering it for 35$, or just go rent a board for 10$ and goof a round)
if you are looking to go to Tabacon (hot springs) then I would contact the Grayline tour person (Luciano?) at the Best Western (hotel about 10 min drive away), he offers the same rates for Tabacon (139$) as other do for Baldi.
There is day trip booking office at the Balcon hotel as well, we found the prices to be at the going rate of other similar tour providers,
The tour provider of the Balcon del Mar are very nice, and had the best prices for a hired driver (there is no accurate map and signs are sketchy, we talked to a few ppl who rented cars and decided to hire a driver to get us to arenal – 3.5 hrs away) we ended up booking a tour to arenal area (volcano), but the volcano was not really offering any molten views at the time, I was told that it has been quiet for the past few months. Anyways, the driver – Johans, was very good, driving though deep fog and pouring rain in the dark to get us back to our hotel.
Overall, very happy with hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 January 2011

If for some reason you have to stay in Jaco, then you could do worse then this place. It does have a great location right on the beach, in pretty much the middle of town. It has a very nice pool, and the breakfast is not too bad either. That unfortunately is where the fun stops.

I am a bit of a light sleeper and I was awoken throughout the night by what sounded like pumps going on and off somewhere. Dogs barking are quite common and the odd siren as it is right beside a police station. It is also loud in the day as the glass balcony doors act like an amplifier for outside noises, mostly from the pool.

The wifi only works in the lobby, and the rooms need some attention as well. Pillows were terrible, the shower sprayed all over the bathroom, and I am not a big fan of antique furniture. All that and you need to wear a bracelet as well. My favorite.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Landed at Balcon del Mar after arriving in Jaco' with no hotel reservations. The plan was to arrive early enough to scout out hotels on the beach. After cruising down each street on Jaco's main drag, I stumbled across the Balcon del Mar. I was attracted to the hotel's exterior, its location, (on beach, next to a police station), free parking, pool, and price. A sign outside the hotel read: $60 a night for 3 night stay, $70 for 2 night stay, and $80 daily rate. Needless to say, we stayed. The rooms are bare bones. Nothing nice, special or fancy, but doable. The beds aren't great and the rooms are outdated but it did serve its purpose. I was able to get wifi on my balcony and even though the pool isn't heated and was a bit cold, it was nice to take a late night dip. The restaurant is pretty darn good and cheap. The ceviche mixto ROCKED and it's only 2500 colones, about 5 bucks. For the price, the hotel was a good choice for a first timer. The corner restaurant, El Bohio, rocks! The fish is fresh, good and relatively cheap. Had a whole fried snapper almost every day and my friends had the mahi and tuna. All were fresh, filling and good. The Bohio is also a favorite hangout for expats and locals alike. The hotel is also right off Jaco's main drag so it's easy to walk to and from the strip. If you're looking for luxury, this is not the place for you. (Villa Caletas is!) But, if you're looking for budgetbeach front accomodations, this place is it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I have been going to Jaco Costa Rica for five years now and I have stated in my past reviews that we Americans have basically ruined Costa Rica by driving the price up everywhere. 5 years ago you could get a deal just about anywhere, now you have to look for them. This hotel proves my point. Its nothing more than a motel 6 but triple the price. In all fairness the staff was nice, the pool was ok, and its right on the beach. But half a block south right next to the police station of course, you have the drug dealers and hookers hanging out on the corner. The rooms are nothing special, the bed was uncomfortable, and the maid never came to clean my room even though I was gone all day. And when I came in one night I ordered a dessert from the restaurant and they gave me a stale piece of chocolate cake and charged me ten dollars for it. If this hotel was forty to fifty dollars a night I wouldn't complain. but for ninety dollars a night you could find much better places to stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2010

The reception staff were only friendly when we arrived asking for a room - it went downhill from there. On check in, we asked the receptionist for advice about our next destination (Montezuma), as there is a boat directly from Jaco - she told us that she had friends who could recommend places to stay and would ask them. When we returned to reception to ask her what her friends had said, she told us she would not ask them, and we should go to a tour operator if we wanted any information about Montezuma. She directed us to the operator next door to the hotel, who wanted to charge us more than most other tour operators in Jaco. We were surprised by such a rude response from the receptionist who had been all smiles when we checked in. Having spent a week in Costa Rica already, we were used to the friendly and helpful nature of the locals - which this receptionst put to shame.
We took a superior room at the hotel, which was comfortable and had a good sea view. The hotel restaurant was awful - grilled sea bass came fried and undercooked. The buffet breakfast was OK, but you can't go too wrong with fruit and pancakes.
The location of Balcon de Mar was convenient, as most shops/bars were round the corner and the beach was opposite. However, there are nicer hotels in a similar pricerange (i.e. the Posiedon). I would not go back to this hotel.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Stayed here two nights. We had a room facing the pool. The windows do not close so you can hear everything outside very clearly. In our first room we did not have a doorknob on the inside of the door. Just a little hole where one should be. The door was warped and didn't fit well and we had a tough time getting out of it. The TV also did not work. The front desk sent maintenance up and fixed the problems. A couple hours later the A/C went out. Maintanence came back. It worked for a couple of hours and then quit again. About 10p.m. we moved to another room. We had ants in the beds and all over the bathroom, including the toilet!

You cannot swim in the ocean across the street because of the rip tides. The police station was directly next door.

The food was OK but the restaurant was loud at night.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 29 March 2010

My wife and I stayed here for two weeks in March. We had previously been booked at Villas Estrellemar which itself is worthy of a review. We moved to Balcon Del Mar after one night at the Villas. I found the staff very friendly and the rooms very nice and cleaned daily. The beds were not very comfortable and the pillows were awful. Also when the hotel was busy at night the noise level inside the room was awful. The restaurant staff were friendly enough but were a bit anal about meal times. Dinner never started before seven pm and breakfast 7-730 am. The staff did not appreciate anyone taking coffee in the morning before they were ready to serve breakfast. Outside of those few issues I thought it was a decent enough place to stay. We did have one small issue with a cleaner coming into the room at nine at night using their pass key, we had the lights down and were watching tv. When we confronted the staff person about this intrusion she claimed she was in the wrong room by mistake, she didn't knock before entering and I have to admit I wondered about this. In any event, there is a secondary latch lock on the doors but I hadn't put it in place.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple