“Barely Serviceable ... Barely”

Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
Baltimore, Maryland
“Barely Serviceable ... Barely”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The Good: The room was clean. When my TV didn't work, the owner gave me the TV out of his house. Which was very kind of him.

The Bad: the wifi didn't reach my room. It's not a huge deal, because you don't need the internet that often .. You're supposed to be on vacation but it comes in handy later, read on.

The staff was not very friendly. They weren't mean, but it was definitely the bare minimum. During the 2 days we were there, not one staff member initiated a hello. Really, we walked by them at 5 times a day, not one hello. I should have known from the start though.
We got there early, at 11:30am, check in was at 4. Fine, our fault. But after sitting there for 2.5 hours, I had to actually ask if the room was ready. Additionally, he never actually checked if early check-in was an option, he just told me I'd have to hang out by the pool until 4. Turns out at around 2, the room was ready. Thank God I asked. And I guess I thought if not friendly was at least considerate. FAIL. I asked for help booking two things while I was there, an ATV tour with FourTrax, and transport to San Jose. Instead they book a tour with AXR, the place next door, (Don't go by the way, go with FourTrax) and instead of offering me the option between a shared shuttle and private transport, they just told me transport to San Jose was $120, the price for what I hope was a private transfer.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Van J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Jaco, Costa Rica
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Not the biggest but one of the nicest in the area. Smack dab in the middle of Jaco almost hidden but with a great staff and detailed personal service. Rooms are small but very nice and a half block from the beach. They have a great restaurant and a sports bar upstairs that gets all the games. Great place to go and be right there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Kevin C
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We booked 4 rooms for 2 nights December 26 and 27 for our family of 7 adults plus one infant. When we arrived from San Jose early on the 26th to drop our bags we were thrilled that our rooms were ready. The hotel staff was extremely accommodating and the location is close to the beach and the town. The food was great and we enjoyed having appetizers our first night in the sports bar then a great dinner in the Hotel Poseidon Restaurant. Sean in the Sports Bar gave us a recommendation for our 2nd night which was also excellent (Lemonzest). Fabio helped some of our party book a waterfall tour when it seemed that all the ones in town were full. The wait staff was great and we were able to lunch by the pool in the shade to get out of the noon sun. They also gave us a late check out for my daughter and her husband and their baby which really helped. The owner, Mr. Bolivar was around and extremely helpful as well. Not only would I go back, I wish I was there right now.

Room Tip: we had 2 rooms on the ground floor and 2 on the 2nd floor and all were great
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CostaRicanj
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2011

we dine there twice in our trip, it was just delicious and for the price a bargain!
Best tuna i ever tasted. Really good cuisine.
I would return if I got a chance

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank isabelleD26
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We really loved everything about Hotel Poseidon! Staff was great especially Bolivar was very helpful and friendly! Perfect location, right on middle of town and very close from the beach and everything in town!. The food at the restaurant was really good!, Thanks everybody for making our vacation so great and unforgettable.. We definitely come back!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DavidBergertech
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Just read the review below. Did the reviewer stay at the same hotel?

OK. Jaco Beach is not paradise but it's the closest beach to San Jose. It does have drug dealers, prostitutes, a beach that has all the personality of a parking lot and tacky tourist stores galore. I agree on that but it also has some fun things to do, such as the Segway tours, canopy ride and it's an hour from some beautiful national parks.

As for the Poseidon the owner Tim, Bolivar in reception (yes that's his real name) and the restaurant staff were really welcoming. There is nothing room with the pool. It's a pool. Period. What's the big deal. The rooms are clean and although the furniture is not five star it's a budget hotel, so what did you expect.

The hotel is well located, clean and the restaurant, albeit pricey, is a real fine. The Tuna and Filet Mignon are to die for. It's certainly the best restaurant in Jaco and as good as most restaurants anywhere. Only criticism I have of the hotel is the wi-fi, which didn't work well in the room and is off and on again in the public space.

I highly recommend this hotel and really disagree with these negative reviews. Stay there. You won't be disappointed. Maybe for $20 less you can find a Cabana type hotel nearby but for the extra money you really get a good value.

Room Tip: Get the room in the front overlooking the swimming pool
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 December 2011

This little place puts all of the fine dining places in US and Europe to shame. UNBELIEVABLE food. Breakfast was great as well. The tuna is a must try.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple