“Trip of a lifetime”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Madison, Wisconsin
“Trip of a lifetime”
Reviewed October 1, 2015 for a stay in June 2015
people found this review helpful

We traveled to Costa Rica for the first time, June 2015. We are a family of 4: 2 busy parents and 2 teenaged boys. After a long school year and the busiest professional year ever, we were WAY overdue for a getaway. Well, we landed in PARADISE at Casa Mono Loco. The pictures online blew me away, but didn't even scratch the surface in reality. This was truly paradise! The house was unbelievable: in a private tropical oasis with lush plants surrounding us, both inside and outside the home. Birds everywhere including macaws, hummingbirds and even toucans from the back deck! Monkeys on parade in the afternoon while swimming! The property was, IMO, the most beautiful place I have ever been. The location was very secure, gated in a community of other gorgeous mountain side homes. The grounds worker and housekeeper were so helpful and very nice to talk with and learn from. We were near a town to buy groceries. I didn't want to leave to eat anywhere else; the view from here was the best from the island! The infinity pool made me feel like I was really "living the dream" for the week. Access to the "owners' pool" and rec center in the central area was a bonus as well. The enormous pool and beach access through that was amazing. We enjoy training for triathlons, so the lap pool markers were invaluable to us for that reason this summer. Location in regards to zip lining, National Parks, the crocodile boat tour, other beach side towns, fishing marina, snorkeling activities could not have been better. Truly a dream vacation come true. I would go there again in a heartbeat!!

Liked best: The view!!
Travelling group: Teenagers
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
MizNela
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Ambiance, gorgeous views and monkeys. How lucky am I?”
Reviewed May 9, 2015 for a stay in November 2014
people found this review helpful

From the moment we arrived we knew this was going to be one of the best vacations ever. The house is on the top of this hill overlooking the water. The vistas are breathtaking. The house is impeccable, everything that one might need and more. We rented a car and did day trips, and always returning to our own little paradise. Every day around 5:30 you can see in the back yard a family of Red Macaws flying in and out of the yellow almond tree. It was mesmerizing. The property manager was always available if we had any questions and even the owner touched base with us making sure all was perfect. It was our best vacation ever. We are definitely coming back to Casa Mono Loco.

Liked best: The views
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
johnee40
Lavallette, New Jersey
“It became too much to contend with.....”
Reviewed June 13, 2012 for a stay in June 2012
people found this review helpful

We saw Casa Mono Loco online and thought is was beautiful. The quintessential Costa Rican experience, with a view to die for! The pictures online are pretty accurate. The view is very accurate. The interior is a little tired and worn. The kitchen is poorly arranged with the sink being too far from the prep area and is really in need of a total renovation. There is a new stove in there, but that is not the fix we think it needs. The master bath is ok, but what appears to be a new shower install is, let us say, interesting. The guest bath in the main house looks like there used to be a tub in there, so they took it out and put in a shower only and it is a sloppy job. The tub spout is still there without function and there are unfilled holes, etc.; kind of a shabby, cheap looking job. The other guest bath in the main house is nicer. There are no tubs in any of the baths which is a downside. The bedrooms, of which there are three are very nice, furnished and decorated beautifully, comfortable, and most importantly, air conditioned! None of the other rooms in the house are, including the bathrooms, so when doing your it and make-up, you mutter to yourself, "why bother?".
We arrived after dark and it was pouring down rain. We had been traveling for about 16 hours and all we wanted to do was get somewhat settled in and go to sleep, which we did. The next morning was sunny and gorgeous and we were able to see the incredible view and we thought we died and went to heaven! Fabulous! We were so happy that any of the small inconveniences did not matter at this point. Geckos everywhere? Who cares? Bugs everywhere? Who cares? Ths house is open air so you can't close it up. It has a real thatched roof and no walls except for the bedrooms and baths. We never experienced that before, but initially, we liked it. We felt like we were outside all the time, and we liked that. The pool was great, although much smaller than it looks in the photos, but that was fine for the three of us. The pool did start to accumulate algae so I called that evening and first thing the next day someone was there to correct that. By the third day we started seeing gecko poop everywhere. It was on the indoor furniture because the geckos live in that thatched roof and there are so many of them. They make a clicking sound and they are in every room. You hear them in your bedroom and your bathroom and just everywhere. Then, we saw a mapeche which is a cousin to the raccoon. We were told his name is Lorenzo. He felt so comfortable with us that he tried coming into the house to watch tv with us! We thought, geckos all over and now mapeches too?? Uh-oh! We we're told that at night they will come in and try to get into the kitchen, so you have to close it up by pulling these metal shutters together and lock it up or they will take all your food and make a mess, so we did that every night. But, that was no easy task. These shutters don't fit well, so you need strength to close them. And there are two kitchen doors that you need to close too and they are a challenge also. You can also see where the animals tried to gnaw their way through the doors to get in to the kitchen. Ok, none of this scared us. Until, the animals approached us in the daylight and at night and could care less that we were sitting there, even after I jumped up and down and screamed "booga-booga! I even threw stones at them at they just looked at me like, "really lady, is that all you got?".
One night my daughter woke up to go to the bathroom which is outside her bedroom door, and she could see the beady eyes and black nose of a raccoon looking at her through the slats in the louvers, and that's when I called Mead-Brown. I told them the geckos, and gecko poop, and bugs were one thing, but these animals trying to get in the house while we are sitting there, is a bit much. I asked them if they could trap them and relocate them or something because they could attack us. We read up on their behavior online. Michael Brown said he would contact the owners and see what could be done. Meanwhile, my daughter would not go to the bathroom in the middle of the night if her eyeballs were floating, and we were paying how much for this villa????
The next day we went to Manuel Antonio Nat'l Park. Long day, great time. Came home, sat on the sofa and I felt something wet fall from the ceiling and it fell on my chest. I looked down, and there was gecko poop in my cleavage! Dios mio!!! Then, there was a mapeche right there in our place! I got a broom and scared it off. Then I called Michael Brown. I told him what happened, and mind you I was patient and even kind of joking about it. He was disturbed that I was bothering him. He was confrontational and rather rude. Not the reaction I was hoping for under these circumstances. I actually hung up on him I was so angry with his response. He offered us an alternate, and it was not to our liking. We were told we would have to share a pool with another villa. We paid for privacy and a view and that is what we wanted. He became more obnoxious which is when I requested to speak with Mark Mead. They relocated us that night. We had to pack up everything, including food and load our car, again in the pouring rain, and meet Mark so he could show us where to go. It was a big inconvenience and my husband got very grumpy and took it out on me and my daughter because he was pissed and would never let Mead-Brown know his feelings! God forbid! The whole thing was a stress we did not want to deal with on vacation!
The villa they moved us to was enormous and palatial, and completely enclosed, thank God, but it was missing a certain charm and character that only Mono Loco could offer, even though this new villa had every expensive everything and is currently on the market for $4 million. The view was not nearly as spectacular either, but it had every Human creature comfort.
I must admit that Mead-Brown, and in particular, Mark Mead, go out of their way to provide the very best in accommodations and customer service to both the renters and the rentees and Los Suenos is a beautiful and well maintained compound, but that's what it is, a compound. Outside the gates of Los Suenos are poorly maintained roads with shacks filled with very poor Costa Ricans. It makes you feel guilty passing through the gates of Los Suenos to such Beauty and luxury knowing what the people right upside of there have to live like. But, with that being said, go to costa Rica. With tourism being the number one industry, they need your money, and be sure to tip generously.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The wildlife and the beautiful scenery and the ocean.
Liked least: The geckos, the raccoons and mapeches!!!
Travelling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing