“Vista de olas is a dream- imagine swimming up to the bar and looking down at an extraordinary beach all the while being surround”

Hotel Vista de Olas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I went to this hotel with my husband and two children (6 and 9) at the end of a vacation in Costa Rica and simply loved it! The view was fabulous and elevates the spirit. The owner, Roger, and his team were warm and helpful and their love for the place created a happy vibe. The beautiful pool serviced with a bar was a huge hit especially with the kids who got a great kick out of being able to sip smoothies while in the water. The rooms are comfortable and tastefully decorated and we enjoyed the outdoor bathroom and taking a shower under the stars. The food was tasty especially the evening barbecues! Overall, a wonderful, magical place for a restful, fun time!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank JackieM2011
There are newer reviews for Hotel Vista de Olas

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Roger, the resort owner, is super nice. He picked us up from the airport, scheduled all of our activities and really went above and beyond to make sure our stay was comfortable and enjoyable. While at the resort, we went ziplining and horseback riding on the beach. We also took an ATV tour into the jungle with a pit stop at a butterfly farm before ending the tour at a massive waterfall. We took advantage of the awesome one hour deep tissue massage and we both felt like jelly afterwards. The in-shore fishing was totally awesome as well. I didn't think I would like fishing, but it was amazing seeing the sun rise over the ocean and catching quite a few salmon and grouper. On the way back to shore we saw dolphins, sea turtles and manta rays! That night we got to enjoy the grouper we caught earlier in the day. Nothing like having a freshly caught fish.

The turn-down service was seamless also. We would often wake up early (carpe diem!) for the delicious free breakfast and then head out on an adventure. When we would return mid or late afternoon, the room would be immaculate. We never needed a refill of anything.

At dinner time, you can do a bbq at the resort or, if you're feeling adventurous, you can go into town (a short walk away) and eat at a restaurant there. We had dinner at the resort a couple times and the food was always really good. The tropical drinks are made fresh and the salsa/guac and chips...it sounds simple, but it tasted amazing. Again, it's about the fresh ingredients. You really can tell the difference. Also, order the peach iced tea if you can. It's so delicious and refreshing. My only gripe is that there are not a lot of vegetarian options. If you're a meat lover, you'll be in heaven, though. Since there wasn't a lot of variety for me, I would venture into town and get something vegetarian there. Everywhere we ate in town was amazing. There wasn't a single dish I could complain about.

The beach isn't far away from the resort. I'd say it's a 10-15 minute walk down a dirt road and there are two side paths you can use as shortcuts. I'd suggest using those side routes, because it can get really dusty on the roads due to traffic from pickup trucks and ATVs. The beach is vast and gorgeous and there's ocean as far as the eye can see with a huge sun ever looming. Being so close to the equator, the sun seems so much more majestic. As a result, the sunsets are just spectacular. Just remember to bring a lot of sunscreen. I mean A LOT. It was triple digits on at least one day we were there and it's a different kind of hot. I'm originally from Texas, so I know what I'm talking about. Hehe.

The thing I will miss most about the trip is watching the sun set from the resort's infinity pool. It's such a gorgeous sight that it draws people from town and from other resorts. Many an evening we'd share the infinity pool with locals and people from all over the world. We met people from Newfoundland, Montreal, Toronto, Italy, etc.

All in all, we felt so comfortable, relaxed and carefree. If only we could have stayed longer!

P.S. - Don't be alarmed if you hear a zombie invasion in your sleep. It's just the howler monkeys! It's pretty intermittent. It doesn't happen often and after a while you get used to various sounds of the night. ;) We saw many howler monkeys while we were there. We also saw white-faced monkeys and a huge iguana. It's the jungle, after all! =) - Anna

1  Thank Anna M
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Amazing place. Amazing staff. Amazing food. We felt like they knew what we needed before we did. So helpful,so nice. We did the living social deal and felt like we were stealing from them. So much value! Rodger and his family treat you like family. We are homebuilders and were blown away with the quality and detail of the villas and main cabana. WOW!

Best part of our two week trip. Thanks rodger! Sorry it took me so long to write a review. It was hard to come home, after staying in your paradise. The sunsets from the pool are un forgettable.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Vist de Olas is quite likely the best place to stay in the peninsula. Not only is the view amazing, but the staff is extremely friendly and very customer-service oriented. At Vista de Olas you feel like a friend, not just another guest in a resort. Roger and his staff ensured that we had the most comfortable stay and were extremely accommodating. We had a few activities included in our package but we added additional ones, which were completely worth it. We took an ATV tour to waterfalls and a butterfly farm, took surfing lessons, cooking lessons with a chef, bartending lessons, participated in a couple of their BBQ dinners, and had an amazing time relaxing.

The Villas are all well equipped and surrounded by beautiful Costa Rican nature as is the rest of the place. Vista de Olas is known for their amazing view. It sits on a hill approximately 400 feet above sea-level (so be prepared for a climb!). The infiniti pool, which overlooks the Costa Rican beach below is unmatched, especially during sunset.

Malpais is a small community whose focus centers around surfing, therefore the people, both locals and foreigners are very relaxed and friendly; great vibes all around.

I completely recommend staying at Vista de Olas. It was a great experience.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Vista de Olas in January. When we first arrived, we were so impressed by the amazing view of the beach. Best view of the coast in Malpais, for sure. Food was really good. Sandwiches/salads for lunch and BBQ+salad bar for diner. We booked the 3 hours fishing trip and Roger, the manager, hooked us up with the best fisherman out there. We also rented ATVS for our entire stay. Roger told us about the nicest places to visit and how to get there. Villas were beautiful, large and clean. Vista de Olas is the place to be in Santa Teresa to chill by the incredible infinity pool and enjoying a cold beer & the view, particularly sunset. We just had an amazing time at Vista de Olas and definitely go back!!!!
***We even forgot something in our room and Roger took the time to send it back to us!!

MERCI beaucoup!! :-)

Caroline & Alex.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Vista de Olas is an amazing place. There is no place I'd rather be in Mal Pais/Santa Teresa than chilling by their pool with the most beautiful view of the coast. The owner and staff were extremely friendly and eager to help with any question I had. They helped with everything from ice cold Imperials at the swim up bar to dinner reservations to surfing and tide advice. The available optional activities were great and affordable (I highly suggest the ATV tour to the waterfall). My girlfriend and I spent every day surfing, exploring the town, or doing some sort of adventure, but always wanted to make it back to the pool for sunset. Once you get to the pool area you will have a hard time leaving, and once you're gone, you will want to go back. I know I do!

If you're looking for a friendly, chill, beautiful place to stay that's still close to the town of Santa Teresa/Mal Pais, then Vista De Olas is perfect. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and hope I can make it back in the not-too-distant future.

Side note: Some days there's a party going on at the pool, and some days it's just a few groups of people enjoying dinner and a quiet sunset. If you're looking for intimacy or excitement, Vista de Olas has you covered.

Room Tip: Villa 3 is situated about 10 meters down the cliff and has an equally beautiful view from the pool...
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This place was amazing!!! I luckily saw this place in Groupon, and it was amazing!!! We looked at all the reviews on here and it helped me finalize our decision to go here. Mostly honeymooners and couples out there. Easy to meet other people to hang and party with. This place seems to be a local hot spot too, every hotel sends people to eat, drink and/or party for dinner there. Top of the hill, literally. About $6 to go down to town, $6 to go back. Breakfast is eggs and toast with some juice and or coffee. Lunch, sometimes. Don't rely on lunch. About a mile to town walking. The family that owns the place is THE BEST!!!! The owner Roger is always around, will set anything you want to do up, and u just pay at the end. SUPER honest, makes sure you get everything you are supposed to and even partied HARD with us to celebrate my birthday. His two sons are like kool little surfer models, and give THE BEST ATV tour! Drinks are stiff, food is good and accomadations are the best...what else can you ask for???

It was my $30 birthday so I lived like a king, spent about $600 for drinks, dinner, and extra tours. Best time of my LIFE, and I wouldnt have traded it for anything else in the world!!! The perfect combination of up to date amenities mixed with the seclusion of paradise and being cut off from the world.

The only criticism is wi-fi is only at the bar and only semi-reliable. A sacrafice easly made for the trip of a lifetime!!!

Room Tip: Villa 3 has the best view!!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mal Pais
1.3 km away
Hotel Oasis
Hotel Oasis
#4 of 8 in Mal Pais

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!