“Something for Everyone” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Preserve at Los Altos

The Preserve at Los Altos
“Something for Everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I am still sitting by the pool at Los Altos in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica on day 6 of a 7 day stay at the hotel. I am very pleased with the hotel and the amenities. The photos of the rooms are accurate. Each unit is identically decorated and the elevators open directly into the foyer of the unit. Towards the Pacific side of the unit is the kitchen/living/dining room and a large balcony overlooking the ocean and pool below. toward the back of the unit are three bedrooms. One master w/ king bed and two smaller bedrooms. One with two twins and the other with a queen. There are 2 1/2 baths per unit. No tubs, just glass enclosed, spacious showers. The penthouse units are larger and appear to have a fourth bedroom and additional balconies and rooftop spa.

I stayed in unit 14a with my wife and two kids and my parents stayed in 14b along with my sister and her daughter. They were able to provide us keys to the doors by the back fire escape staircase and thus we were able to walk freely between the two apartments when we wanted to. Otherwise, it would have been necessary to take the elevator down to the ground floor and then back up to the 4th floor using their elevator key to allow the elevator to open on their side.

The hotel is nicely situated about half-way between Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park. There are several restaurants within walking distance and the front desk called us taxis for the restaurants located outside of walking distance.

The beach at the hotel is private and beautiful. We asked for a ride down in their pick up truck and it was a fun ride down about a kilometer of steep dirt road with nice vistas along the way. The beach itself is small at high tide, but is substantial at low tide. It is set inside of a small inlet so there isn't any significant current and the waves were relatively small for Costa Rica. Ask them for chairs when they drop you off. There is shade at the edges of the beach under some palms and sea grape trees. There are rocks and tide pools to explore once you are at the beach and my kids didn't want to leave after 2 hours when they came to pick us up. We found a ton of hermit crabs, lots of scurrying crabs, small yellow eels feeding on tiny shrimp in the tide pools, and a few small fish in there as well. It took a while to find the eels, but it once we did we kept finding more of them. They look like tiny moray eels. Body surfing was fun as well. We also had the entire stretch of beach all to ourselves and it was fantastic. The surrounding jungle is lush and beautiful.

I would definitely stay here again. The only complaint I have is a recommendation for Mar Luna restaurant. If found it very overpriced, average at best in quality, and I have some suspicion that there may have been a special "gringo" menu with jacked up prices. The typical dish in Manuel Antonio restaurants is under 10,000 colones, or $20 (U.S.). The rate for their snapper was 20,000 colones and had one meal for two people to split for 80,000. Perhaps there is no kickback to the employee who recommended the place and it is just that expensive. I hope so. But that is my only complaint. Otherwise we loved everything about the hotel.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I had our wedding reception at Los Altos over President's Day weekend and had our 26 guests stay at Los Altos. We looooved our stay here. Our guests were so happy with their condos. First off, the staff is exceptional - very accommodating and eager to help you. We especially found Caesar (front desk) and George (restaurant staff) to be very helpful. You really feel at home here because the staff learns you by name and are quick to respond to your requests. There were so many little (albeit annoying) requests that we and our guests made (e.g. can we get a first aid kit, can we get extra chairs in our room for the wedding day, can you bring extra towels up, etc) and not once did a staff member seem bothered. Jonathan, Lenin, and the owners/managers (Oren and Alejandro) give bright smiles every time you pass the front desk and are so easy-going and happy. Efrain, the reservation manager, was very accommodating and easy to work with.

Condos: You definitely feel like you’re in a luxury condo. Very spacious, high ceilings, and new modern furniture. It’s so big that it was easy to place things all around and lose track of them (but this is not really a con). The key system could be clearer. You’re given a white key and when you misplace it, it’s very hard to know whether it’s your key or someone else’s key – but this only happens when you have more than one condo rented out (we had about 5 condos and the penthouse, which was EVEN bigger than the condos and has a HOT Jacuzzi on the roof). The bed in the master bedroom was really comfortable. The layout of the master bedroom is really nice with two sinks, a WC, and a big walk in shower. The showerheads could be a little stronger. The kitchen has all the amenities you need. We bought a ton of beer and alcohol the first night we got there and just hung out in the living room/balcony. So relaxing and so much space to do this.

Pool: The pool is really relaxing and you can gaze off into the sunset while sipping a marguarita. Some bartenders were better than others. George made good drinks. Happy hour special was nice, but not all liquor is included in the HH. The Jacuzzis could be hotter. Fun to see the white faced monkeys come up to your chair (we even saw a mommy with its tiny baby).

Karolas: The breakfast crew is quiet (but this is just how I like breakfast) and a little slow, so if you’re hungry or have to make a tour on time, let them know and they’ll bring out the fruit and eggs at the same time. If not, it’s a two course breakfast and everything is really fresh and delicious. I’m now obsessed with Costa Rican rice and beans, Costa Rican salsa (brown sauce) and hot sauce, and plantains. Breakfast was so satisfying, every morning I wanted to wake up early to eat. Lunch options are reasonably priced and were cooked well (we had casados, mahi mahi sandwiches, quesadillas, and steak wrap). Dinner options and bottles of wine were a little pricey and we found instances where dishes were over-salted (like the tuna carpaccio) but overall it was a nice experience.

Wedding Reception: We really have to thank Karolas’ chef, Gustavo, and his crew for taking every bit of feedback we and our wedding planner, Karen (Tropical Occasions), gave him. During the tasting, we really changed a lot of the menu, such as changing the sauce on the surf and turf, changing the fish entrée, asking for less lime on the ceviche, changing dessert altogether, and Gustavo made every change and made the wedding dinner delicious. Everybody raved about how good the lobster and steak were (and we’re from NYC…some high standards to reach) and were really satisfied with their dinner.

Room Tip: Get the penthouse. If you want a better (higher view) get the superior condos. The standard rooms ar...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

This place was absolutely amazing!! We had three bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, and an amazing view of the ocean. The place is exceptionally clean and just soooo beautiful, the staff is super friendly, the location is ideal, the restaurant has a great menu, the bar has the best drinks I've ever had (Jessica is the best bartender ever and her guaro sour is to die for!!), the pool is gorgeous, their beach is so private, clean, and beautiful, and Cesar (who works at the front desk is the most helpful and kind person ever and he went out of his way to make our stay perfect!!). I could go on and on about this place, but words just cannot explain it's perfection. We loved it and have nothing bad to say about it....we just can't wait to go back again!!!

Room Tip: Pick rooms closest to the oceanside and the highest up you can get!
1 Thank missingsevilla
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Wow wow wow, we loved this place!! We stayed in Manuel Antonio for 4 nights and after 2 nights at the Gaia hotel a few minutes away it was a relief to check out of there and check in here. Gaia is the number one place to stay on Trip advisor and it is a wonderful property but the over bearing staff and walkie talkie system between staff that follow you around the property marking your every move ruin the holiday feel of the place. It feels more like a army camp tracking you and clocking you in and out. I think Los Altos is a hidden gem that would be up there at number 1 if more people knew about it. It is a much better reflection of the Costa Rican life and way, laid back, attentive without being in your face and happy relaxed friendly staff who great you out of courtesy and not to order. It was amazing. The apartments are out of this world and the space in them seems to go on and on and on! The property has a fantastic pool with stunning ocean views and a walk down to a private deserted beach. The breakfast is lovely and the restaurant offers wonderful lunch and dinner with a view of the sunset. We also had the closest encounter of our trip with monkeys here at Los Altos, so close it was fab! They come down to feed in the fruit trees right outside reception and we saw families of monkeys feeding and playing, I will never forget it. Free parking is included and there are also lovely restaurants within walking distance of the hotel in minutes. You are free to come and go as you please and the reception is covered 24 hours. All in all Number 1!! Next time I am back I am heading right back to Los Altos I don’t think it can be topped!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank keriUk
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We were recently married at Los altos and cannot say enough wonderful things about our experience!

The rooms are huge, beautifully designed, and modern. The resort is close to everything, we were able to walk to several restaurants, a grocery store, neighboring resorts, beaches and more. The national park and downtown quepos were only a short $5-$6 cab ride away.

Since we were traveling with so much extra stuff for the wedding, the size of the room turned out to be a godsend. We were able to spread out our welcome bag items and bits of decor we brought with us which was really convenient. Also with many of our friends and family stopping in we were thankful for the large livingroom and kitchen areas.

The staff were all really kind and helpful during our stay, since the property only has 28 rooms, most of the staff knew our names within the first few days, and it was nice to be greeted by name each day.

The onsite restaurant Karolas has really yummy food, we wanted to try a few different places during our trip but ended up eating breakfast, a few lunches, and dinner at Karolas during our stay because it was so good. The resort has a selection of drinks and snacks in the rooms for purchase and we felt that compared to a normal mini bar the prices were very reasonable. Even still, with a full kitchen we stopped at the little supermarket and picked up fruits, snacks, soda, and waters to have on hand. We didn't really do any cooking, but the resort has provided everything you would need to cook in you room.

There is a beach onsite, we walked down to the beach on our first day (caution should be used when walking down because there are spots where the path is steep, and there are loose rocks) The resort provides transportation to and from their beach, just ask the desk. The onsite beach was quiet, but a bit rocky. We went to a neighboring beach the next day, which we enjoyed, and the beach inside the national park which was breathtaking but busy.

Some general notes for travelers: the resort provides free breakfast, and extra items to purchase for breakfast. there is no on site resort shop, but there is a supermarket down the street. There is no dry cleaning service as it is very uncommon for the area. Manuel Antonio has many hills, so when walking wear comfortable shoes. There are no tubs in the bathrooms at Los altos (at least not in the few rooms I saw) but the showers are beautiful. Guests staying in tower 1 seemed to see mores monkeys from their rooms than we did in tower 2.

We will definately return because they value for the room size and amenities was beyond what we could have even asked for.

Room Tip: My family stayed in tower 1 and saw squirrel monkeys almost every morning.
1 Thank JKKD2010
Yucaipa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

My husband and I decided to spend a week in Manuel Antonio for my 40th birthday last week. We stayed at this resort. Let me tell you all that we have stayed at some really nice places but never this immaculate in a foreign country. All of the rooms here are like apartments (ours was 3200 sq feet) and came with living room, dining area, kitchen additional bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, etc. The place was so modern and unbelievable and yet when we were asked what price we paid for the resort many people said that was a great price. It has a good restaurant, beautiful pool and private beach. The hotel shuttle also takes you down to the private beach and picks you up when you desire. You can book tours through the front desk and the prices are pretty comparable on what you'd fine outside the hotel. The guest seemed like family after a few days--world class service. On my birthday I walked into our room and when the elevator does opened into our room (another perk) I was faced with a 4 foot flower arrangement with a happy birthday card from Los Altos Beach resort staff. This was amazing. The guy at the front desk told me that the gardener picked the flowers that morning and they had it made for me. They made my experience so wonderful and I'm going to look forward to another stay here soon. BTW, this property can be used as a hotel, they offer time share and also sell property. A+ experience!

2 Thank Jackie G
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Los Altos during the first week in February. We were delighted by the accommodations, property and service.

As mentioned here, the condos are top notch! Given the size of the condo we found ourselves disappointed that we didn't have family or friends along to enjoy it with us.

We dined at the onsite restaurant twice for dinner and for breakfast each morning. The food, drinks and service were outstanding. I would recommend sitting on the patio at the edge of the restaurant overlooking the ocean for a sunset happy hour.

The pool is lovely and overlooks the ocean. We were often the only people at the pool which added to the charm. The private beach is also extraordinary. We were also the only people at the beach which felt very indulgent!

There are a couple of things that would have made our stay just a touch better. 1. The hot tubs were not particularly hot (actually a little cool). 2. While the gym is nicely equiped, my husband would have liked treadmill as the weather is quite warm for an outdoor run. 3. Feather pillows in the condos would be a nice addition. Obviously, these small issues would not prevent us from recommending Los Altos to family and friends.

2 Thank Rebecca_K_S