I am still sitting by the pool at Los Altos in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica on day 6 of a 7 day stay at the hotel. I am very pleased with the hotel and the amenities. The photos of the rooms are accurate. Each unit is identically decorated and the elevators open directly into the foyer of the unit. Towards the Pacific side of the unit is the kitchen/living/dining room and a large balcony overlooking the ocean and pool below. toward the back of the unit are three bedrooms. One master w/ king bed and two smaller bedrooms. One with two twins and the other with a queen. There are 2 1/2 baths per unit. No tubs, just glass enclosed, spacious showers. The penthouse units are larger and appear to have a fourth bedroom and additional balconies and rooftop spa.
I stayed in unit 14a with my wife and two kids and my parents stayed in 14b along with my sister and her daughter. They were able to provide us keys to the doors by the back fire escape staircase and thus we were able to walk freely between the two apartments when we wanted to. Otherwise, it would have been necessary to take the elevator down to the ground floor and then back up to the 4th floor using their elevator key to allow the elevator to open on their side.
The hotel is nicely situated about half-way between Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park. There are several restaurants within walking distance and the front desk called us taxis for the restaurants located outside of walking distance.
The beach at the hotel is private and beautiful. We asked for a ride down in their pick up truck and it was a fun ride down about a kilometer of steep dirt road with nice vistas along the way. The beach itself is small at high tide, but is substantial at low tide. It is set inside of a small inlet so there isn't any significant current and the waves were relatively small for Costa Rica. Ask them for chairs when they drop you off. There is shade at the edges of the beach under some palms and sea grape trees. There are rocks and tide pools to explore once you are at the beach and my kids didn't want to leave after 2 hours when they came to pick us up. We found a ton of hermit crabs, lots of scurrying crabs, small yellow eels feeding on tiny shrimp in the tide pools, and a few small fish in there as well. It took a while to find the eels, but it once we did we kept finding more of them. They look like tiny moray eels. Body surfing was fun as well. We also had the entire stretch of beach all to ourselves and it was fantastic. The surrounding jungle is lush and beautiful.
I would definitely stay here again. The only complaint I have is a recommendation for Mar Luna restaurant. If found it very overpriced, average at best in quality, and I have some suspicion that there may have been a special "gringo" menu with jacked up prices. The typical dish in Manuel Antonio restaurants is under 10,000 colones, or $20 (U.S.). The rate for their snapper was 20,000 colones and had one meal for two people to split for 80,000. Perhaps there is no kickback to the employee who recommended the place and it is just that expensive. I hope so. But that is my only complaint. Otherwise we loved everything about the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bold in presence; playful in personality. Los Altos Resort and Spa is Manuel Antonio's premier laid back luxury boutique resort. The Los Altos aesthetic represents a sensitive integration between tropical authenticity and modern amenities. We offer 28 gorgeous private residences, each boasting a vivid Pacific Ocean view through floor to ceiling windows. Also, for a luxury resort in the heart of Manuel Antonio, our rates are very reasonable. Very reasonable, and you get a lot out of us, which we're happy about. We like to keep things simple. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your The Preserve at Los Altos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Altos Beach Resort And Spa
- Los Altos Beach Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- The Preserve At Los Altos Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park