“An European oasis full of characters! A must stay hotel...”

Hotel Las Tres Banderas
“An European oasis full of characters! A must stay hotel...”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I booked a few nights at Tres Banderas to get out of San Jose and must say, I was very pleasantly surprised by the accomodations (very nice), the owner Andy, his nephew Derrick, both Poles from the old country, and the rest of the crew. Clean rooms, great A/C, huge pool, excellent free breakfast, dynamite menu for lunch and dinner plus a great layed back atmosphere amongst the lush jungle flora and fauna. Set back well off the main road to the park, you will experience no road noise or disturbance, quiet, peaceful lodging conveniently located about midway between Quepos and the park, bus stop is handy if you prefer and frankly, if you didn't want to leave the property, you could dine, drink and get entertained all right outside your door! The ladies make a great breakfast, either gallo pinto o great big fluffy pancakes, coffee, fresh fruit, juice, toast and marmalade, all gratis as long as you eat before 9:30 or so... The Pierogis are superb, bar is well stocked and Andy and Derrick are always willing to have a drink and conversation, great fellows indeed. I'll be back to the 3 flags, it really is unique for the area and should not be missed.

Room Tip: My first floor room off the pool was quiet, clean and cool, I imagine they are all similar.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I heard about this place and about Andy the owner from a friend of mine who books fishing trips into the area. He recommended the hotel and said that Andy would do everything he could to accomodate us as far as Nature tours, Horse back riding and fishing.

We made our reservations and waited until we arrived to book our adventures. Andy arranged a two day fishing trip for my three friends and I and an ATV and snorkeling trip the other days.

All four rooms were ready when we arrived and were clean and comfortable. The food was excellent and we chose to eat at the Hotel four of the seven nights. Andy is originally from Eastern Europe and had Goulash and Pierogies on the menu; it was excellent! I never thought I would see that in a Latin American country.

It isn't a five star hotel, but the price isn't a five star price. You get a little more than you pay for and the staff did every thing possible to make our stay comfortable.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 31 May 2011

In March/April 2011 I’ve stayed at hotel Las Tres Banderas for a few weeks, which was an all positive experience. The hotel is conveniently located between Quepos and Manuel Antonio and getting to either town or Manuel Antonio National Park and the beach will take 5-10 minutes by car, cab or bus. The hotel is at a few 100 feet from the main road which makes it quiet and gives one the feeling of being in the middle of the jungle.

The hotel’s pricing is very reasonable. A regular room with bathroom, tv, phone, balcony, safe and air-conditioning costs around 85 Dollars; breakfast and tax included. The rooms are what you’d expect from a hotel in this price range; clean, spacious and with comfortable beds. Basically all you need in this beautiful country where one is not likely to spend too much time in their hotel room anyway.

The food at Hotel Las Tres Banderas is excellent. I can recommend the Dorado with cognac and almond sauce or the shrimp in tequila sauce. My personal favorite however is Andy’s Burger: definitely the best and biggest hamburger in the area and beyond (I’ve tried quite a few burgers around Quepos and Manuel Antonio over time).

The prices of the food are also reasonable. The hotel bar is well stocked with spirits from all over the world. The owner; Andy, who is almost always present is very helpful and always up for a good chat and a drink with the guests. He speaks English, Spanish and Polish (hence the 3 flags/3 banderas (Polish, U.S. & Costa Rica).

The service at the hotel is good. The rooms are cleaned regularly and the personnel is trustworthy; meaning you won’t have to worry about leaving things in your room. (unlike at some other hotels in the area) The hotel has plenty of parking space and the premises are guarded at night.

Internet is available over WiFi in the restaurant/bar area and in some rooms close to that and the connection is fairly good for Costa Rican terms. Furthermore, Hotel Las Tres Banderas has a nice big pool which is amidst the trees, giving it a nice “jungle feeling” when taking a dip to cool off; especially when the squirrel or capuchin monkeys (which visit the hotel near daily), are around. Apart from the pool, there is a massive Jacuzzi for those who which to relax a bit while enjoying a nice glass of wine or a cold beer.

For those wanting to take canopy tours and other day activities; the owner has close contacts to nearly all tour operators in the area and guests booking through the hotel will get a discount on most tours.

I was more than satisfied with my stay at Hotel Las Tres Banderas and I will definitely go back there. It's a cozy and hospitable place to stay at and I can recommend the hotel to anyone who is looking for a great place to stay against a fair price!

Room Tip: Visit Manuel Antonio National Park!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank SjoerdHolland
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 6 April 2011

This is more along the lines of a lodge/b&b type place. Great location and the Owner is very helpful. The place had everything I needed, helpful staff, food on location, cold a/c, and tropical setting. I would stay here again :)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Great room, great food, great staff & felt right at home ! also if you can`t have a good time having a drink or 2 with andy (the owner) there very well may be a stick up your arrs. I have read some of the bad reviews and you can`t please everyone, I own a bar restaurant and do everything I can to please people and still get some bad reviews, so people take them with a gran of salt. we can`t wait to go back, wish we were there right now. thanks to everyone at tres banderas and esp. andy !

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 3 March 2011

During my short trip in Costa Rica, I surely got the best price quality deal in hotel “Las Tres Banderas” (Manuel Antonio). The area is known as one of the most expensive of the country, I got a standard room for $80 breakfast included. Very clean with everything you need (great deal). The Polish owner Andy may look a little bit strange at the beginning, but if you have a couple of shots with him in his well provided bar, you will have a different opinion. Andy is a typical European with a great general knowledge and likes to socialize and talk about everything (don’t try this if you are not prepared to have a drink with him, then he is silent as a grave) I guess he learned this when he lived in the states. Nothing is for free. He is a great admirer of the American dream. Manuel Antonio is a part of Costa Rica you have to see. The national park (closed on Monday), the beautiful beaches and lots of other things to do. Very good for sport fishing. Andy can also hook you up for that one, on top of it he will make you a buffet with what you caught (fish 6 different way’s, unbelievable, try also his burger BiGGGG and very tasty). The second part of Costa Rica I was really impressed with was the volcano” Arenal” area. also not to miss. Tip! Don’t drive at night, some of the roads are terrible and avoid to walk on the street, they don’t really care about you. I can only say, if you come to Costa Rica don’t forget Manuel Antonio.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 March 2011

After having a long days travel, I arrived at Las Tres Banderas and I was welcomed by the owner Andy. He showed me my room which was more than comfortable ... I stayed in really bad places during this trip! I came down to the bar and ended up having many drinks with Andy, who is a funny guy and pleasurable company. I ordered some food from the restaurant and it blew me away ... his cook Grey is one of the best cooks I came across on this trip. I stayed for 4 more days than I originally planned because of the relaxing environment and the nice company.
I can recommend this hotel to everybody looking for a comfortable place to stay and who doesn't have hundreds of dollars to spend on a hotel room for a night.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo