New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Friendly Staff but the place needs a lot of help.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Las Tres Banderas

Hotel Las Tres Banderas
Victoria, Canada
“Friendly Staff but the place needs a lot of help.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Well we arrived here and my first thoughts were, "uh,oh". The room as we walked in was in the middle of being cleaned. The doors were all wide open and being aired out so I could see them all. They all seemed small, a bed, a vanity outside the bathroom, and a charming little balcony with a couple chairs on it. I decided that I was over reacting, and that it was cute and quaint and I had high expectations, and talked my way through it.

We unpacked settled in and as I always do I checked the bed. The sheets were ancient and threadbare, the pillow had a blood stain on it that looked new enough I wasn't sure the sheets had been cleaned at all. The ancient coverlet on the bed (most hotels dont clean the top one more than 2-4 times a year fyi) was faded and had my suspicions up as to how long it had been since a wash. The room looked tidy, but it was dirty.

I decided I was still being a wimp. There were some bugs in the room (its the jungle just outside and all around you, so its understandable why they are there.) I went to go have a shower, grabbed the knob for the water and my hand slid off it, it was grungy from not being cleaned properly and supposibly the room had just been cleaned. To add to my shower experience, there was no hot water, no warm water, just cold water.

The pool was also an experience, when they have the little waterfall going and the jets which crinkle to pools surface so you cant fully see through the water like glass, it looks pretty. The pool has a lot of tiles coming off and laying on the bottom. Some are broken and could cut your feet.

The next morning was the included breakfast. It included fresh fruit, and cheese, toast, coffee, and eggs. Breakfast was lovely and was included in out stay which seems common for the area. However there were also little things such as the cockroaches and unclean walls of the place that made us call the company we booked through for three nights and get refunded for 2 and book elsewhere for our trip as we were paying 80 dollars a night for this place. It was far from the beach and everything that was going on to boot, meaning rental car or the bus (bus service is pretty good and only costs .50 cents for a bus ride fyi.)

All in all I wouldn't go back, I wouldn't recommend it. It needs a through cleaning and maintenance.

I have pictures but they are currently still on my camera and if I can add them later I will.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ashley B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Hotel Las Tres Banderas at first glace is very Costa Rica with a touch of Europe (which makes perfect sense when you meet the owner) The room while small was very clean and had more amenities than the other hotels; air conditioner, safe, full bathroom, tv, nightstand, and an area to hang clothes. The sheets in no way seemed old to me and I found the bed to be comfortable. The breakfast was the best (free) breakfast we had on our trip. You actually watch the ladies crack the eggs and can get them any way you want. You make your own toast (one reviewer mentioned that it seemed to be old- no way) the jam is fabulous!, coffee was very good and the fruit was very fresh. The staff was excellent, the same ladies that make the breakfast also clean the rooms and are very friendly (we didn't even use the safe because there was no threat of getting our belongings stolen) Andy was super helpful when we asked about getting to the beach, which was super easy by bus for about 50 cents. The bus goes between Manuel Antonio and Quepos both towns are very neat and i liked being able to go to both easily by bus. This was the only hotel on our entire stay in Costa Rica where we met and chatted with the staff and other travelers. Andy and his family work every part of the hotel and are super helpful, even cutting off some of their Aloe plant to help treat my sunburn. The bar/restaurant area is very welcoming and the clientele staying at Tres Banderas is exactly who I want to be surrounded by, we ended up eating out one night with 3 other guests! On our first night we walked along the road checking out restaurants and found them all to be VERY expensive ($20-$30 per entree) so we went back to the hotel and ate there and it was AMAZING!! It was the best meal we had in Manuel Antonio hands down, and very reasonable! Try the Shrimp in tequila sauce over pasta- delicious! The pool is the perfect temperature; we spend most of the day at the beach but the sun and saltwater gets to be a lot so sitting by the pool and taking a cool dip was perfect. We also got a show by a handful of lizards and some very funny birds. If you are looking for 5 Star you are going to pay for it in Manuel Antonio, but if you are looking for a good place to stay where you feel safe, can make a few friends, have a great meal and be close to it all while still feeling like you are sleeping in the rainforest this is the place!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ashley J
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

This place was recommended to me by someone who hadn't been there in awhile apparently. The owner is gross and the hotel is in need of repair. My room smelled like mildew and had fleas. I asked if they could spray something and the owners' son who hangs out there all the time gave me a can of bug spray. I agree with the reveiwer on Dec 12. If they put some money into the hotel) it could be decent. I think it's good for backpackers that want to hang out and drink but not your average tourist.

Room Tip: just don't
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank professormb

Travellers are raving about these Manuel Antonio National Park hotels

North Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

We heard the owner complain that he was loosing money in the hotel. The price affixed on the sign outside was plastered over the original one and the price was down to $75 U.S. dollars a night in order to attract customers.
The rooms are smelly (I think it is from insecticide), the beds lumpy, the pillows as lumpy, my sheets were stained, there were ants in the room and my companion when he went to sleep, looked up at the ceiling and saw a large cockroach promenading there. The cockroach was killed. There is no closet in the room (see the pictures) and the room is not that big. Moreover, there was no hot water in the shower either, just lukewarm, almost cold and only a trickle...
The breakfast was very poor and limited as I think the owner is trying to save money.
The location is right 7 kilometers from the beach and equally 7 kilometers from the town of Quepos. Therefore, you either must have a car or use the bus which comes every half hour.
Three people in our group who alread had pre-paid for two nights at the hotel including the breakfast decided they could not stay there even for one night and proceeded to book another hotel at the beach, right at the end of the line for the bus and paid only $65 U.S. per night plus the cost of the breakfast and said that it was a wise decision.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Capisce
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

I booked a few nights at Tres Banderas to get out of San Jose and must say, I was very pleasantly surprised by the accomodations (very nice), the owner Andy, his nephew Derrick, both Poles from the old country, and the rest of the crew. Clean rooms, great A/C, huge pool, excellent free breakfast, dynamite menu for lunch and dinner plus a great layed back atmosphere amongst the lush jungle flora and fauna. Set back well off the main road to the park, you will experience no road noise or disturbance, quiet, peaceful lodging conveniently located about midway between Quepos and the park, bus stop is handy if you prefer and frankly, if you didn't want to leave the property, you could dine, drink and get entertained all right outside your door! The ladies make a great breakfast, either gallo pinto o great big fluffy pancakes, coffee, fresh fruit, juice, toast and marmalade, all gratis as long as you eat before 9:30 or so... The Pierogis are superb, bar is well stocked and Andy and Derrick are always willing to have a drink and conversation, great fellows indeed. I'll be back to the 3 flags, it really is unique for the area and should not be missed.

Room Tip: My first floor room off the pool was quiet, clean and cool, I imagine they are all similar.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Fairhope, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

I heard about this place and about Andy the owner from a friend of mine who books fishing trips into the area. He recommended the hotel and said that Andy would do everything he could to accomodate us as far as Nature tours, Horse back riding and fishing.

We made our reservations and waited until we arrived to book our adventures. Andy arranged a two day fishing trip for my three friends and I and an ATV and snorkeling trip the other days.

All four rooms were ready when we arrived and were clean and comfortable. The food was excellent and we chose to eat at the Hotel four of the seven nights. Andy is originally from Eastern Europe and had Goulash and Pierogies on the menu; it was excellent! I never thought I would see that in a Latin American country.

It isn't a five star hotel, but the price isn't a five star price. You get a little more than you pay for and the staff did every thing possible to make our stay comfortable.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Maastricht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

In March/April 2011 I’ve stayed at hotel Las Tres Banderas for a few weeks, which was an all positive experience. The hotel is conveniently located between Quepos and Manuel Antonio and getting to either town or Manuel Antonio National Park and the beach will take 5-10 minutes by car, cab or bus. The hotel is at a few 100 feet from the main road which makes it quiet and gives one the feeling of being in the middle of the jungle.

The hotel’s pricing is very reasonable. A regular room with bathroom, tv, phone, balcony, safe and air-conditioning costs around 85 Dollars; breakfast and tax included. The rooms are what you’d expect from a hotel in this price range; clean, spacious and with comfortable beds. Basically all you need in this beautiful country where one is not likely to spend too much time in their hotel room anyway.

The food at Hotel Las Tres Banderas is excellent. I can recommend the Dorado with cognac and almond sauce or the shrimp in tequila sauce. My personal favorite however is Andy’s Burger: definitely the best and biggest hamburger in the area and beyond (I’ve tried quite a few burgers around Quepos and Manuel Antonio over time).

The prices of the food are also reasonable. The hotel bar is well stocked with spirits from all over the world. The owner; Andy, who is almost always present is very helpful and always up for a good chat and a drink with the guests. He speaks English, Spanish and Polish (hence the 3 flags/3 banderas (Polish, U.S. & Costa Rica).

The service at the hotel is good. The rooms are cleaned regularly and the personnel is trustworthy; meaning you won’t have to worry about leaving things in your room. (unlike at some other hotels in the area) The hotel has plenty of parking space and the premises are guarded at night.

Internet is available over WiFi in the restaurant/bar area and in some rooms close to that and the connection is fairly good for Costa Rican terms. Furthermore, Hotel Las Tres Banderas has a nice big pool which is amidst the trees, giving it a nice “jungle feeling” when taking a dip to cool off; especially when the squirrel or capuchin monkeys (which visit the hotel near daily), are around. Apart from the pool, there is a massive Jacuzzi for those who which to relax a bit while enjoying a nice glass of wine or a cold beer.

For those wanting to take canopy tours and other day activities; the owner has close contacts to nearly all tour operators in the area and guests booking through the hotel will get a discount on most tours.

I was more than satisfied with my stay at Hotel Las Tres Banderas and I will definitely go back there. It's a cozy and hospitable place to stay at and I can recommend the hotel to anyone who is looking for a great place to stay against a fair price!

Room Tip: Visit Manuel Antonio National Park!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo