“I wouldn't stay here - inconvenient location and too expensive”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Toronto, Canada
“I wouldn't stay here - inconvenient location and too expensive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

I didn't think this hotel was very good to stay at. It is clean and the most of the staff are friendly, however, I found it was too expensive and out of the way. It is on a hill and not close to anything, so therefore not convenient, unless you have a car. I came here with a tour, but arrived a day earlier.. I only stayed here because it was where my tour was going. When I enquired about hotels right on the beach and close to manual antonio park, the prices were actually about 30% less then Hotel California. I don't think it was worth the price. In addition, we were informed by our tour guide (after I paid for my room that additional night) that the hotel would give us a rate about half what I paid. When I spoke to the manager about this, he said the rate was per person, which is why we had paid double. But that doesn't make sense to me, since we shared a room. A room price, is a room price, since when is it per person, and if there is an additional cost per person, since when is it double? When i asked him why we didnt' get our own room then, he said he didn't know... which means to me his explanation was crap. I also mentioned to the manager that other hotels in the area were about 30% less then the rate he gave, but he just looked at me and said nothing. Even the Best Western was about 30% less...I feel like I got ripped off.. so for that, I wouldn't recommend anyone stay here, nor would I ever stay here myself again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

We loved having a view of the ocean from our room and the balcony (#25). The room itself was nice and clean, though the bathroom showed signs of aging. The beds were comfortable and the staff was super helpful. Location wise, it's a bit out of the way (up a dirt road from the main road, about 1 mi out of Quepos on the way to Manuel Antonio), but we managed just fine between taxis and the public bus.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

This hotel is situated high above the town of Quepos in near Manual Antonio National Park. Taxis to town cost $4. The hotel is comfortable but not inspiring. Staff are friendly and there is free internet access. There is a reasonable choice for breakfast but don't rely on getting lunch as most people stay out all day andd come back for dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above ground level for better views.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hotel is a bit far away from the main street. It requires you to drive for like 5-10 min on a dirt road which isn't the best for the car. The room was nice and clean, although the bathroom showed clear signs of a poor maintenance. Breakfast was OK. This hotel seems as if it had once been great, however it in a slow decay.

I would go there again if the prices weren't so high. Service was excellent though.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Barrie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

My wife and I were on our first trip to Costa Rica as part of our 20th wedding anniversary. We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. We were with Gap Adventure Tours and had low expectations based on our previous hotel in Monteverde. We were blown away by the great room (#27, 2nd floor), the views, great staff and clean, comfortable pool and marvellous restaurant.

With 15 of us there, we pretty much took over the hotel. Our room had a single king size bed and looked like a honeymoon suite! The shower was a little tempermental with hot water supply, but that was more than offset by the spacious room, great balcony, a/c and in-room safe. SOme of my travel mates got rooms in the lower level (2nd and 3rd levels are above grade) and thought they were ok.

Staying at Hotel California was a highlight of our tour!

Room Tip: Go through a travel agent for your reservation. Don't cheap out using an internet source. Beaut...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

The hotel and staff are great people. My buddies and I stayed with them two years and went back to hang out with them another year. The hotel is kept cleam and the staff can't do enough for you. A very pleasent stay with Beautiful views.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Al P
Pinellas Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

Thank you to all for another great visit to Quepos/Manuel Antonio. It is always a pleasure to stay here. A special “Thank You” to Jessie and Haylin and the rest to the rest of the staff in making my vacation a relaxing and peaceful vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends