All reviews tide pools la guinda zip line howler monkeys bird watching costa rica long hike night hike classic cabin the pacific ocean san jose fer de lance honeymoon package hiking trails rip tides guided hike knowledgeable guides
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Thank you very much Adriana and Daniel (owners) your "HANDS ON" attention to all of your visitors made everyone feel special.
Thank you to all of the staff, you ALL do an excellent job, no exceptions !!!
My wife and I made the trek for one week starting March 10, 2012.
This is a true "jungle experience" so, if you are squeemish about the odd little bug entering your domaine, don't go.
At 4:30 am the Howler monkeys will let you know that it is time to get up....you can't smack them on snooze.
Breakfast at 6:00 am.....we hit the jungle trails by 7:30 am, saw many of the animals as possible, except for the puma.
The puma was seen by two other guests while we were there.
We walked 3-4 hours on the trails every day and walked the big hill up from the ocean to the bar every day (1400 wife steps, she counted them) and we are nearly 60 years young.
The cold beers were fantastic !!! I never did taste the first one.
We did the waterfalls rappelling and we both loved the experience.....this is a must do !!!
We had a most fantastic massage, after the rappelling and had a nice snooze afterwards.
We had Macaws and Toucans landing in the trees above our cottage, all vibrant with colour and raucous with thier songs.
Our cottage was more than what we expected, giving us a view of the jungle and the ocean and giving us privacy.
We met many nice people from the four corners and I would like to say HI to Cilas, a very intelligent 6 year old from Washington state.....he showed me how he played chess and informed me the names of many of the insects.....Hi Pilgrim !!.
This is a FANTASTIC place for the adventurer, the person wanting something different from the cookie cutter "all inclusive, umbrella in the drink 4 star resort".
Not for the pampered.
AN ADVENTURE

Joe

Room tip: We loved a cabin.
Date of stay: March 2012
Reviewed March 13, 2012

El Remanso is a truly unique and special place. The owners have created a lodge that balances adventure, relaxation, luxury and economy in a perfect balance. My wife and I had the most amazing time together on the Active Package staying in the Casa Poniente. Never in my life have I encountered such friendly and personable staff ready to make sure that every element of our stay was perfect. The wait staff, guides and owners felt like old friends by the time we left and we made great connections with fellow guests. The food was perfect for the setting, the add-on activites and alcohol drinks were extremely fairly-priced, and we could not have been more happy with our trip. After all our activites we often fell asleep before 9 pm and awoke with the howler monkeys at dawn, ready for another day in paradise! We look forward to returning with our family once we have one to share El Remanso with!

Date of stay: January 2012
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I went 2 1/2 years ago to a few different areas of Costa Rica and even after the "high" of the vacation has gone, El Remanso stays in my mind. I think it was 4 days and wished we had more. La Guinda was wonderful and would highly recommend it. Wildlife was abundant and as a nature lover, I was in heaven. Everyone and everything was so wonderful. You know that after 2 1/2 years I very often think of El Remanso and still feel that is where my heart is

Room tip: We looked into ever room during our time there. That was 2 1/2 years ago and I do not know how things have changed but thought La Guinda (the cliff) was the bast
Date of stay: April 2011
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at El Remanso from Feb 21 - Feb 26. The planning part of the trip was great - worked with Gabby via phone calls and emails and she was super friendly and helpful. We drove from San Jose to El Remanso in one day. We heard horror stories about the drive - but the roads are great and it is easy to navigate. Gabby set us up with a rental car.

The lodge was perfect. Great vibe amongst all the guests, everyone that worked they went out of their way for you (but never in that annoying in your face way), the logistics of all the itineraries was carried out effortlessly and by the end of your trip you really feel like family.

Rooms: we stayed in a different room each night. Moving from room to room was done by the hotel and it was very easy. It was so nice to see all the different views and amenities. Great way to experience some of the more private high end rooms without breaking the bank. Rooms are clean, towels and linens are nice, and beds are comfy.

Activities: We did the following - guided hike on the ridge trail, waterfall repelling, horseback riding, fishing/dolphin watching. We went on the guided hike the first day - was really a smart move. Gave us a great intro to the wildlife and enabled us to find more wildlife on our own later in the trip. Waterfall repelling - so much fun and very safe. Horseback riding - amazing. I am very sensitive about the care of horses and it was clear the group we went out with took care of their horses and they were well trained and safe. Wear your bathing suit! Fishing/dolphin watching - it was dumb of us to combine. We saw amazing marine wildlife however the fishing was not so great (never touched a fishing pole). But this was probably our fault bc we didn't plan it till the night before. If you want to fish i'd plan it ahead of time with a professional sport fishing. Not only do they follow the sustainable fishing policies it also seems to be a lot more fun then going with one of the smaller boats that stays closer to shore.

Things i wish i knew: bring more tshirts then you think you need. Be prepared to devote one pair of shoes to being continuously wet. Get on that stairmaster - walk up from the beach is steep steep steep.

Can't wait to go back - definitely one of the best vacations I've been on in a long time!

Room tip: talk with gabby and explain what you are looking for and do be afraid to switch around from room to room
Date of stay: February 2012
4  Thank Emily W
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at El Remanso and had the most wonderful time. We tried to get the La Guinda deluxe cabin but since it was booked, we just had the regular cabin which was not only roomy but also rustically luxious and we loved it. The room, linens and bed were comfortable and clean. The mosquito net and vessel sink added an air of design and romance and the netting must have worked fine since I didn't get bit once. The deck chairs were comfortable and the view was awesome. We had a toucan who like to rest on the branch above our deck and preen himself. The food was fantastic and so was the service. The owners and staff make you feel more like you're staying with family than at a hotel, yet they are professional and efficient. There were howler monkeys in the trees right outside of the dinning room and we even saw a Coatimundi on the road during our drive to the airport.

We went on a horseback ride and saw a huge turtle laying eggs; amazing. The ride was beautiful and since I'm not much of a rider, I really appreciated the additional help from our guide in controlling the horse, galoping on the beach was just not for me. But the fresh coconut juice, the puppies and the little duck under the house are a memory that still brings a smile to my face and were maybe even a tiny bit more treasured that the ride itself.

Adriana and Daniel were inspiring in their love of the country and conservation not to mention how kind, accommodating and helpful they were. Gabby is just a doll and took care of transportation for us even as we moved on to another part of the country and her husband makes the best margaritas. The hike down to the beach is beautiful and we arrived on this huge stip of beach with waves crashing and not another sole in sight. We took a dip in the soft water of the lagoon and thought we had found paradise.

We also loved the tour of the wildlife sancturay. Ok, so the manager is a little intense but that is only due to her passionate love of the animals and nature; the world is a better place with her and her santuary in it. Sweetie the spider monkey would gently put your hand right where she wanted to be scratched. The picture we have with T. holding her and her eyes closed with contentement as he scratched her tummy is priceless.

Staying at El Remanso was the highlight of our trip and we hope to be back one day. There were so many enjoyable moments, the dolphin watching, the sound only of nature and the friendly people make it a wonder...you just have to go. Oh, one last tip. We had a little trouble getting the hot water in the shower but found that getting the hot water going in the sink first was the trick...or maybe just turning the knob in the shower the right direction. I read in another review that someone had trouble with this and wanted to point out that we did fiddle a bit but ended up with a totally satisfying outcome.

Thanks so much to all of the staff at El Remanso for making our stay so wonderful!

Date of stay: December 2011