All reviews tide pools la guinda zip line howler monkeys bird watching costa rica long hike night hike classic cabin the pacific ocean san jose fer de lance hiking trails guided hike plunge pool sights and sounds an adventure
Reviewed July 21, 2012

From our first e-mail to our final wave goodbye everything about El Remanso was exceptional. We love to walk, take photograghs and learn and there was an abundance of opportunities to do all three.
The warmth, knowledge and commitment of each member of the El Remanso team to make our stay special was felt from beginning to end.
The cabin, the fresh and delicious meals and excursions were all 5 star plus.
We are already looking forward to visiting again

Room Tip: There are only good cabins.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I'm not sure if there is anything more to say about El Remanso that already hasn’t been said on Trip Advisor!! My husband and I recently spent our honeymoon there and words can't express what a perfect spot it was for such an occasion.

The entire staff has such an incredible passion for what they do and the feeling is contagious beyond words. Every day we learned something new and they shared their love and passion with us like it was the first time they were experiencing the sights and sounds of the rain forest with us.

I would highly recommend going on the long hike with Gerardo at the beginning of your stay. We did get spoiled because we were the only ones in the group for our hike with him! He took the time to answer any of our questions and share his knowledge with us. From doing the long hike early in our stay we were able to learn about the sounds of specific monkeys and birds so we could identify them during our stay. Gerardo even taught us a new thing or two about our SLR digital camera, which was fun!! He was only there for one day of our stay and then had some time off. We were grateful to have met him and spend one afternoon with him, but do wish we could have spent more time with him. He made us feel so comfortable and really increased our excitement and wonder about the forest and all its mystery. You must do a tour with him, you won’t be sorry!!

I also recommend doing one of the activities with Rinaldo. He led us on the waterfall repelling tour (which was AMAZING!!) and the canopy tour. Just like Gerardo, his passion is contagious! He knows a little bit about everything in the forest and is so eager to teach you! His sense of humor and ability to make you feel like part of the El Remanso family is incredible. He is a wonderful guide and made our trip so memorable!
The wait staff was exceptionally professional and made us feel like some sort of royalty. They were so wonderful and kind that many times, I just wanted to ask them to sit down, relax and join us so we could get to know them too! The food is like nothing we have ever eaten before. Everything is so fresh and natural, and kept us satisfied and filled us with enough energy to get us through our busy days.

The walk to the beach is a bit strenuous, but after all you are in the jungle. Just make sure to allow for enough time at night coming back up before it gets dark. It is worth the trek to see the gorgeously untouched beaches and see the wild Pacific Ocean. The tide pools were one of our favorite memories too. We had a blast exploring them and taking amazing photographs.
We look forward to returning one day and hope to see the same staff that for 5 days accepted us into their home, treated us like long lost friends, and allowed for the beauty and peace of the Osa to find its way into our hearts.

Room Tip: La Guinda is the PERFECT spot for honeymooners! It is a private spot and has the best view on the grounds! We loved the feeling of being totally surrounded by the jungle and not seeing a single cabin from our room!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DaraG526
Reviewed July 9, 2012

El Remanso is the real rainforest experience. I didn’t want to be one of those reviewers that just gushed about how much they loved a place but my sister and I really did love it! If you want to stay at a place where the staff and owners are warm and friendly, the food is great and accommodations are clean and comfortable, this is your place. The wildlife will amaze you and the hikes are incredible. The owners, Adriana and Daniel, actually check in with the guests to make sure they are comfortable and take a real interest in your experience. And they are true stewards of this rich eco-system. I would recommend El Remanso to my friends and go back in a heartbeat. You will feel blessed for this experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for 4 days, and it was not only perfect in the beauty of the place, but the staff became fmily to us. They made our stay a great escape for us. We celebrated our 30th anniversary by renewing our vows there, and they put it all together for us. I can't say enough about the whole group of them, and the cabin we stayed in was so romantic. But let me not forget the gracious meals we had everyday as well. Top notch. I am back here at home now, wishing I could enjoy one more of their gourmet meals. Please listen to all these reviews if you are looking for a place that is out away from it all, but is luxury at its best I will always have a home there, and have an extended family. The only disappointment was having to leave. It is a disappointment that I just can't seem to get over, but that is my problem, and not theirs. I hope and pray them much reward for their great work at making a litlle heaven here on earth.

Room Tip: They are all ecellent
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2012

First I should say that my wife and I did not stay at El Remanso. We did, however, lose the transmission on our boat in an area where neither the marine band radio nor cell phones would work. After a poor decision on our part to swim to shore, we were unable to swim back through the breakers to the boat. We were without shoes, shirts, money, or water. Not a good situation in the rainforest. We hiked up the trail to El Remanso, spoke to a staff member and explained the situation. Daniel, the owner, was kind enough to take us down to the other side of the peninsula where we could swim out to the rescue boat in calmer surf. He even offered us water and towels. We live in the area and know that there are challenges to the Costa Rican lifestyle. We also know that not everyone would be so gracious and accommodating as Daniel and the staff at El Remanso. During our brief "tour" of the grounds, everything looked beautiful, well-groomed and sparkling clean. We plan to go back in the near future and stay--this time we'll even have our shoes! Thanks, Daniel! Pura vida!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple