El Remanso Lodge
  • Restaurant
US$149
US$142
  • Restaurant
Lookout Inn Lodge(Carate)(Great Value!)
US$81
  • Pool
Luna Lodge(Carate)
US$207
  • Pool
Cabinas Jimenez(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$53
Pirate Cove(Drake Bay)
US$186
  • Breakfast included
Agua Dulce Beach Resort(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$67
Las Islas Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$59
US$780
US$663
US$319
US$309
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstide poolsla guindazip linehowler monkeysbird watchingcosta ricahorseback ridinglong hikenight hikeclassic cabinsan josethe pacific oceanfer de lancehiking trailsopen airguided hikefauna and flora
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have been to Costa Rica 10 times and i love the jungle and the people. El Romanso is by far the best place to see wild life and to explore the jungle. I love the accomodations and the food,but the people by far are the best. The attention to detail and the one on one service is above standard. We will be going back as soon as we can. i almost hate to give it a good review for fear of letting other people know.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank stesmith
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My friend Mary W under "unbelievable!" has already summed up our trip and I just want
to add "ditto" to everything she said. El Remanso is such a special place and the staff
is wonderful!!! The article I saved and even the pictures on their website don't do it justice. It's even more beautiful and special. The setting is so gorgeous and peaceful. Our cabin, Vainilla was awesome. It has an amazing jungle/ocean view and there were no bugs or mosquitos. I also loved the fact there were no cell phones, computers, alarm clocks (except the howler monkeys which woke us at around 5 each morning which I enjoyed). It was so much fun to see all the wildlife. It was just an amazing trip and a wonderful way to celebrate our birthdays! I can't wait to go back! Thanks to all the staff you're the best!

Room Tip: Vainilla was wonderful especially if you're traveling with more than two in your group. Very private, clean and spacious with gorgeous views of the ocean and jungle. Thanks Gabby for recommending it and for all your help organizing the trip!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LorieAW
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were turned onto this resort by some friends who have visited El Remanso five times. Now we know why! This is an incredibly unique experience for so many reasons….
- The setting is breath taking. When you first arrive you are treated to the tree top view of the Pacific from the deck of the Lodge. You’re nestled in the rain forest alongside all the fauna, flora with hiking trails throughout within easy access.
- Accommodations: We stayed in one of the cabins/casitas. These were private and yet open (inviting air in through the screened in front doors). The views from our casita were outstanding. We had enough room to relax and have some privacy and were still close by to the Lodge.
- Dining: The food is wonderfully prepared with a menu available for view and selection early in the day. The food selection is varied enough with local selections of fish, fruit and vegetables. The drinks (and bartenders) were top notch – nothing like fresh local fruit to enrich your cocktail!
- Staff: From the on-site managers, to the wait staff, drivers, and grounds crews – all were friendly and very available. This is one of the key differentiators – it felt like we were among friends with the staff. There was also a lot of consistency paid to accommodations cleanliness.
- Extras: The guide, Gerardo, and his assistants were amazing. We had never experienced someone so knowledgeable about everything from ground growth, to bats to mammals, reptiles, birds, etc. He is passionate about what he does as well and this made the experiences with him that much more rewarding. The “add ons” such as waterfall rappelling, horseback riding, guided hikes, bird watching, etc. were all very worthwhile. The one “pass” we would exercise would be the kayaking – which we found too long and laborious to have truly enjoyed the experience.
- Eco-conscious: This may/may not be important to everyone reading the review. If staying at an eco-conscious resort is important, there is a very high attention paid to making sure that the resort exercises responsibility (from the food, to the towels, lighting, etc.) and they should get high marks for doing such a thorough job and having such a strong commitment in this area.
- Overall: This location and experience is exceptionally unique. If you want to be right in a rain forest setting and experience it fully, while enjoying a great stay, consider El Remanso.

Room Tip: Consider your preferred view when choosing a room. We chose one of the casitas close to the Lodge (a classic cabin) and couldn’t have been happier with the location and view. Ironically, another couple had selected a pricier option downhill “La Guinda” and were in love with the accommodations but not the view. I can’t speak to the rooms poolside but these are also a great value in terms of being tree top level.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dicrompton
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This place is remote, and lacks the "amenities" of the "normal" tourist traps, but I didn't come here to feel like I was still at home. The setting is stunningly beautiful, the cabins and lodge embrace the surroundings, and you will see more wildlife than you can imagine. We awoke to howler monkeys, saw the amazing scarlet macaws in flight, toucans by the pristine pool (solar powered ion-cleaned), a crocodile, and various hawks and lizards - all on our own. With the guides - our eyes were drawn to more amazing creatures including king vultures, three-toed sloths, capuchin and spider monkeys, and the deadly fer-de-lance snake.

The commitment that the managers and staff have to sustainability is commendable, and they walk their talk. Yes - the lighting in the cabins is dim (so as not to intrude on wildlife), and there is no wifi, but if you want a chance to disconnect from the rat race, you couldn't possible find a more beautiful place on the planet. If you drive (we did), you will be treated to about 20k of gut-busting dirt road, and honestly - I hope they NEVER pave it. You can't swim on the beach, as the rip tide is killer, but you CAN soak yourself in the tidepools or the lagoon - just be wary of the crocodile that hangs out there! I'll gladly deal with the road to have the chance to experience the wildlife and wonderful beauty of the Osa at El Remanso.

As an added bonus - the staff is remarkable, tolerating and encouraging us to practice our remedial Spanish (gracias, Tamar!), and alerting us to the presence of army ants marching through our room one evening and arranging for a different cabin that night (thanks, Sylvia!), even though the ants were long-gone before bedtime (they are harmless, and best left to just finish their troop movements). The guides are incredibly knowledgeable, with almost uncontained enthusiasm. I can still hear Gerardo yelling, "¡Mira! ¡Mira!" upon spying the King vultures.

We left El Remanso sadly, but also brought home with us fantastic memories, and a feeling of friendship and community with the fine folks that run the Lodge. Gracias por todos, Daniel y Adriana! Nos vemos pronto!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Nothing prepared me for the gracious hospitality, sublime surroundings, and wonderfully fun time that my family enjoyed at El Remanso. It was a remarkable week! My two daughters (16 and 20 ) and I made a list of everything we wanted to do in Costa Rica and I was amazed that we found it all in one place. From galloping on the beach to exploring tide pools, from walking peaceful miles on the beautiful beach to lounging by the pool with a book - every detail of our stay was perfect. We hiked and rappelled waterfalls, relaxed in the hammock, and learned about the fabulous biodiversity of the Osa Peninsula. I was impressed by the quality of the staff, as the attention to our needs exceeded anything I expected. All of the staff appear to take joy in being helpful. It was a real vacation for all of us, as it was possible to truly unplug. Because of its remote location there is not enough power to connect to the internet- thank goodness. The girls and I enjoyed each perfectly prepared meal and we noticed that the meals were always just the right size. Completely satisfying but not wasteful. There was an expression of balance, beauty and connection to nature that made the week both restful and refreshing. An extra bonus is that El Remanso was awarded a 5 star rating for it's sustainability practices. For a busy lodge it leaves a very small footprint in the forest. If you want bright lights at night, this is not the place for you. But if you enjoy the calm that dim evening lights bring, then you will enjoy. A headlamp or flashlight for walking to your cabin at night is essential. My constant thought since we returned is "how soon can we go back?"

Room Tip: We enjoyed the classic cabin as it gave solitude and space for three people to relax.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family