All reviewsstairway to heavenmonkey houseblue butterflyhis wifehappy hourscarlet macawsother guestscosta ricaosa peninsulacorcovado national parktiki hutopen airmonkey roomsoupsfrog tourbeach bungalowshady lane
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We had an amazing time. He loved the waves and the native hermit crabs. I loved the fresh air and escape from the "rat race". The trip to get to the inn was an adventure but falling asleep to the sounds of the waves made it more than worth it. I would recommend this place in a second!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2010

This place has it.

I visited in 2002 and have returned seven times since. The location is amazing. A five minute walk into a triple canopy virgin tropical rainforest, a four minute walk to a great beach that stretches for fourteen miles. Not that it matters, because of the Inn's location, no one else is on it. You will see more exotic animals than you have ever seen. Four species of monkeys, toucan, scarlet macaws (hundreds), sea turtles, whales, red eyed green tree frogs, poison dart frogs, parrots, crocodiles, caiman, the occasional National Geographic photographer taking advantage of the Inn's unique views.

And the best part is the food (and it comes with the room). The Lookout Inn prides itself with finding the best chefs on the Osa Peninsula to create unique and unforgettable meals.

If you are looking for a vacation you will be talking about for many, many years, go to the Lookout Inn.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed March 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Lookout Inn for 5 nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful. This is a perfect place from which to explore the park and nearby waterfalls. The beach and views from the Inn are amazing. Monkeys and macaws are within a few feet of view and very entertaining. Meals are exceptional and provide perfect opportunities for meeting people. The gardens are wonderful. We loved our stay.

Reviewed February 25, 2010

I sent this to Terry on Dec. 7: We are flying into San Jose on February 12th and staying the 13th. We will fly to Puerto Jimenez and taxi to Carate on the 14th. I have yet to make those arrangements, I wanted to be sure you have room for us first. We are planning by ourselves and a bit overwhelmed. This will be the first time out of the USA for both my husband and I (we are 35) and we are desperately hoping you have room, you are by far our first choice for the honeymoon we never got to have. We will return as we came. It looks absolutely magical and we want very very VERY VERY much to spend this longed-for vacation with you at the Lookout Inn.

Those were high expectations, but at every step of the way, Terry and Katya and Jef fulfilled every one of our expectations. Everything was seamless, all of our transportation, etc. As our trip approaches, Terry sends short updates and I realize we are in good hands.

When we arrived, a bit anxious and overwhelmed, our bags were settled, and we were served a fresh breakfast and told to simply relax. From that moment, we had not a worry.

Terry is eccentric, to be sure, but he is now family. Katya is regal, gracious and a perfect hostess. Jef is the man, and somewhere around day 3 we realize we've made a friend for life.

Bed and Breakfast seems hopelessly inadequate to describe the Lookout. The pictures don't describe the soothing roar of the ocean, the smell of honeysuckle that covers the garden, the hummingbirds flitting to and fro, the monkeys, the smiles, the tinkle of the windchimes, the lyrical "Hola's" that sing out, waking up at sunrise to the jungle coming alive around you, the lure of the black sand beach, with the jungle behind you, all to yourself, the taste of fresh cuisine, the fresh juice ....the sense of family at every moment.

Yet, don't get me wrong, Terry and Katya and Jef run a tight ship, food appears as if by magic, plates disappear quietly, the place is immaculate. It's a family, and yes, you are being invited into a home, not into a hotel...yet, every care is given to make sure each guest gets the trip THEY want.

Fernando, the chef, treats us to the most delicious home made wonders...Julie, the resident friend/yogi gives me a Thai Yoga massage that completely changes my life.

Lucy and Margarita, the resident pups, join us for hikes and we have as many pics of them as we do of ourselves. We have even more of Polly, the resident scarlet macaw, but that's because she's a camera-hog....

My husband and I wonder mid-week "How will we answer when people ask us about the trip? How will we ever do it justice?" Even this review seems hopelessly inadequate....

We settle into the rhythm of the Lookout so completely and surrender so deeply to the sense of family and peace...we're not sure what day it is anymore, much less what time of day it is.

I cry when it's time to leave. The Lookout is in our hearts, it's changed the rhythm of our souls.

We can't wait to go back.

3  Thank Loocheena
Reviewed February 25, 2010

In a remote part of Costa Rica, you find a beautiful Inn on the side of a hill. It is worth the almost 2 hour trip on dirt roads through river beds and beautiful scenery. You are greeted by Terry, who makes you feel like he has been waiting all day just for you. The staff is amazing, it's not easy running an establishment like this which depends on natural energy and water supply. Fernanado the cook is responsible for sending these beautiful fragrantt cooking smells that makes everyone waiting for his next delicious dinner. We eat dinner on the top part of the Inn, overlooking the ocean and beautiful sunsets..Jeff, the eveything man gets the Happy Hour started by gatherring all of us at sunset time taking in the beautiful scenery and making new wonderful friends. It's like a party everynight!! On the edge of the Concorvado Park, there are amazing hikes to take and wildlife to observe. At the Inn, there is a monkey viewing platform, they are worth 100 pix, so funny and so cute and very at ease with all of us taking pictures...Then there is Polly a "teenage" Macaw who visits the inn and does some pretty amazing "macaw" tricks especially around Happy Hour. I think Terry is paying him..Oh well..If you are lucky enough to get to this part of the world, try to book a visit here, you will not regret it!!!!

1  Thank sandi31