All reviewscasa rioocean fronthigh tidebeautiful propertymagical placemonikalilysurferssurfingretreatwildlifebugs
Reviewed July 25, 2017 via mobile

This place is in a class of it's own. It's glamping, and feels like it's situated in a zoo. Be prepared for monkeys (capuchins, howlers, spider monkeys), ara's, iguanas, hermitcrabs, agouti's, butterflies and hummingbirds.... and those are just the conspicuous sightings! There is no airco, but the house doesn't really need it. There is usually a nice breeze.
When we were there we were a bit unlucky, since the hot water wasn't working in the shower. The response assured us this was something that would normally be dealt with adequately (as it was it was Sunday and there was little to be done). Even so, it didn't bother us much. It was actually pretty nice :).
If you're still on the fence about where to stay, stop overthinking it and book already!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank S1lv3r
Reviewed June 9, 2017 via mobile

Loved this place! Stayed with 2 small kids and they loved it too, we were all sad to leave. "Glamping" is a perfect description. The host was very nice and one of grounds keepers came over to show us some wildlife! Very quiet, secluded. Bug repellent at all times of day is a must.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2017

Pros: Safe, quiet ocean front property, well maintained, housekeeping very attentive, all meals beautifully prepared, the staff, especially Monika, are wonderful and are truly invested that you enjoy your stay, surfing is within easy walking distance and works at all tides except peak low tide

Cons: Toilet and showers are not attached to houses, houses and toilets are all open-plan so be prepared to contend with wasps, flies, and various bugs; entire beach has flat lava rock that can be slippery and tricky to get in the ocean when it's not high tide

Tips: Bring a flashlight, getting around the property at night will be impossible without it. If you're surfing, bring booties, I brought my vibrams which gives me traction when walking out at lower tides. Wifi worked consistently, but limited bandwidth, so forget streaming videos when in the region

Room Tip: I stayed in a house (1 has a small pool, another has a big pool), so I don't know the tent situation.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Jessica L
Reviewed August 4, 2016

My boyfriend and I stayed at Casa Rio Sombrero. It is total perfection. Would be great for two couples as well. The open kitchen and small pool were the homes highlights in my eyes. So close to the beach and countless iguanas and macaws. Beautiful sunrise!

Room Tip: wifi is very limited, but that's the point, to disconnect! :D
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LAP504
Reviewed August 1, 2016

My family and friends of eight stayed a week at Boca Sombrero. The complex is large with several acres of garden-like landscaping. We stayed in the main house and one of the tent cabinas. The house layout is a typical open concept next to the ocean. The sound of the ocean, birds, and thunderstorms; the fragrance of the flowers; and the colors of flowers and birds can transform anyone. The beach has part sand (high tide) and clay formations with tide pools that get hot during low tide that are like hot tubs. Our host, Monika knows the area well and led us on a nature hike that was adventurous. She also set us up for some surf lessons/board rentals ... just few minutes walk down the beach; as well as a boat tour in the gulf. My well-traveled Tico friends really enjoyed the stay, as did my three teenagers. The property is eco friendly with solar power for electricity. There is no wash machine, but arrangements can be made. If you are not familiar with the humidity, just know to bring clothes that wash and dry easily. The stove is propane and is huge, great for cooking in large groups. The refrigerator is big and works well. Dishes are washed by hand (normal for rental houses/cabinas). The sun sets around 5:30 - 6:00, so bring some rechargeable flashlights if you want to walk around at night on the beach, etc. The best comparison for those in the US and Canada is the idea of Glamping, or glamor camping. Basically you need to take care of your own stuff. It's not a hotel, so have the right expectation. If you want to relax, have fun, privacy, etc., the is a great place. There are many different adventures in the area. The roads past Puerto Jimenez are NOT paved, and 4x4 is the best way to go down the road toward Carate past the Sombrero area. Shopping for food can be down in Puerto Jimenez at the BM. The drive is about 40-45 minutes in daylight past the store. Next time I go I will stay for at least two weeks.

Stayed: July 2016