“Resplendent oasis above the city jungle”
Review of Grand Tara Hotel

Grand Tara Hotel
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Escazu
Cocoa Beach
“Resplendent oasis above the city jungle”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I had to find a hotel, last-minute & none w/in the San Jose city limits appealed to me. I was birding in the highlands whereupon other travelers recommended Gran Tara. I must say, it was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed (worldwide). The grounds are well-manicured w native vegetation, and the overlooks of San Jose are splendid regardless the time of day. The wrap-around balcony w french doors from one's room to access was probably my favorite aspect. Reminded me of a former, Southern Antebellum Plantation. Food amazing, customer service sublime...a touch of nature w 5* amenities in the cool mountains above hectic SJ. I did not have a car, so the cost r/t, SJO was $70USD.

Room Tip: I stayed in the LBJohnson room (104). Nice, verdant view from the balcony, but not directly overloo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Birder1CocoaBeach_FL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I wanted to unwind before the start of a 9 day tour. This was the perfect place to do it. My room was charming. The views at night and day were spectacular. Although it was a little chilly, it was beautiful to sit on the top of the mountain, breath the fresh air and then get a wonderful massage in the spa.

If you like peace and quiet, then I would definitely recommend this place. My bed was so comfortable and the staff here were accommodating and lovely.

If you want to get away from it all and feel like you are on a proper holiday, even if it's just for a night or two, I would recommend Gran Tara in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Alexandra R, Revenue Manager at Grand Tara Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2012
Hi TravelingOYEster!

Wow...! You are writing about all our typical features! :-)

We really love to hear that you enjoyed your stay that much!
Beginning with your charming room, the fresh breeze from the mountains, next to our restaurant Grand View with the 180° view over the central valley and ending with our spaceful Spa with his variety of relaxing massages, facial treatments, manicure, pedicure, cosmetic treatments,... and a lot more.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel and do everything for your wonderful stay in our house.

Your Grand Tara - Team
Snellville, Georgia
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here for part of our honeymoon on Jan. 1-3. The building, rooms and view were beautiful. I loved the details like gorgeous hardwood floors throughout and actual metal keys with the name of our room engraved on the keychain! But, it's set off by itself so you don't really have much choice but to stay at the hotel. The restaurant was extremely overpriced, not very good and I was so disappointed to see that they did not have a single traditional meal on the menu! Only American food. If I wanted that, I'd stay in America. Also, while we were there, none of the other parts of the hotel were open - no pool, spa, casino or hot tub. So it made for a very boring couple days. Taxi rides to the city or really anywhere else were really expensive, too, since the hotel is so far away and all by itself. So, it was a nice place, perfect for the honeymoon night and absolutely beautiful, but we got bored rather quickly and hated that it felt so Americanized.

Room Tip: They don't have any elevators and each "floor" is several sets of staircases so try to...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisandCourtney
Myrtle Beach, Sc
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I live the the South of the United States. So a Georgia Mansion is not strange to me. This place is amazing. Just like gone with the wind on top of a mountain in Costa Rica.

It is not easy to find if driving rental car just go up hill.... :)

Staff was great it was my second stay. Food was amazing.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This hotel was one of the best experiences during our trip through Costa Rica. The building is stunning and the view.... just wonderfull! You can see the whole of San Jose without hearing the noise! The food was great and everybody was very friendly. We got a realy nice room with a small balcony. It was elegantly furnished and the sheets on the big bed were so soft. We slept realy well. Just don't pick the Bush room. This is as the man himself.... very small! :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Barbaranb
Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2011

The Building and views are outstanding but sadly that's where it stops. We had flown 18 hours and when we arrived at 10pm we was told the Restaurant was closed but we could order a drink from the bar, exhausted, we went straight to bed. The room was huge but very dated and the toiletries dispenser was empty. We spent most of the night listening to constant barking of the local dogs. The Breakfast at 06:30 was late and the continental breakfast is one plate of chopped fruit, anything else is extra. The Spa and Casino was closed and we were the ONLY guest staying on a 3 night stay. We ate in Escazu as Restaurant had no visitors and instinct told us the food would not be fresh. On departure we had to pay £50 for a few beers which was totally overpriced. I took my concerns up with the Manager on my return home and they are only interested in taking your money. I will be surprised if this empty hole survives a year but I would never recommend this place for a stop over. Its also about 20-30mins away from the Airport. Stay at the Doubletree for the same price including a very good dinner and breakfast

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LymmLife

Travellers are raving about these Escazu hotels

Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple