“Beautiful but a bit noisy.”

Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana
Ranked #11 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful but a bit noisy.”
Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed here before flying out to the US next day. The accommodations and restaurant were excellent. New and beautiful--a stylish retreat from the rough adventure we had just diminished. However I would not recommend this place to alight sleeper. The windows are single-paned and the noise of San Jose traffic (they like their horns) comes through the windows. I slept okay and would likely stay here again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 0-Excelsior-0
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Hello! greetings from San José! Thanks for taking the time and writing your review. We are working right now on fixing the windows of the hotel...pretty soon that won´t be a problem! Thanks again and we´ll be waiting for your next visit.
Esteban Oreamuno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed very busy during our vacation in Costa Rica, each night returning to the Tryp Sabana in San Jose was an extreme pleasure. When it was time to relax, and recharge, our hotel choice was right on target. The rooms are very comfortable, and well appointed, with a staff that was very helpful in every way. Breakfast was included in our rate, and it was fabulous.... omlets made to order, and fruit, waffles, cereal, anything you might want. One night we stayed in the hotel for dinner, another pleasent surprise. If your travel plans take you to San Jose, Costa Rica I suggest staying at the Tryp Sabana Hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank been2egypt
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear traveller,

Thank you very much for your nice and thorough review...I will print it and post it in the staff area, so they all can read and feel proud of the service they are providing. We hope to serve you in the future..thanks again!

Clinton
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here twice in 2 weeks....once at the beginning and then at the end of a 2 week OAT trip. We stayed in Rm 701 the first night, a nice corner room with a King bed, and then in 602 on the return, a 2-Queen room. The rooms were very clean, the only concern in 602 was the shower floor...very slippery (701 had a mat). We actually had dinner in the hotel restaurant the first night, and it was very good, although a bit expensive. We were there on a Tuesday night first...no noise to speak of, from either the outside or our neighbors. On our return, a Saturday night, we did hear the deep bass of music from somewhere all night long. In neither room did I hear the traffic-noise people speak of. We did have the complementary breakfast the after first night (we left the second morning at 4:30 a.m.; we were supposed to get a "box breakfast" but did not receive it). The breakfast, at least at 7:00 a.m. was spectacular, although the guy serving coffee seemed to ignore people on a regular basis for some reason!).

We had our transfers back and forth from the airport from our Tour, so can not comment on that. Night life was a non-issue for us as we were not interested in that aspect. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. If you need to contact the Hotel before your visit for anything at all, email Esteban, who comments on these reviews...he will answer you immediately and do his best to get what you need! I wish I had the time while I was there to thank him.

Having read the somewhat mixed reviews, I was concerned about the quality of this place, but I can tell you having just been there, and having travelled a lot in the USA and South America, that this is a very nice place indeed. I can see the concern of some given the somewhat "sketchy" nature of the streets around this hotel that going back and forth by foot might be a bit of a worry, but given our circumstances, the Tryp Sabana was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike R
Dear Mr. Mike R,

Greetings from San José, Costa Rica! Thanks for your review..I´m happy to hear you had a good time with us. I will definitely take a close look at what happen with the coffee issue...they should be pouring our good costarrican coffee!!!

I´m sorry I miss you here...we had a busy month...so it kept me running back and forth...but I´m glad we emailed before your arrival...thanks again for your nice and honest review...I hope to see you around here in the near future.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Given the variable ratings, I wasn't certain what to expect. It was a very clean hotel, nicely appointed rooms, pleasant and helpful staff and a very nice included breakfast. My 5 year old daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights and found it much better than most hotels for the price. It was across the street from the city park - which we enjoyed each evening (along with many residents of San Jose); and found the walk (~2 km) to the heart of downtown to be without difficulty. The noise previously commented by others was not an issue - but we both sleep soundly. Room views vary - ours was over the skyline and surrounding mountains. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 1Happy1Traveler1
Dear HappyTraveller,

Hola! My name is Esteban and I´m the GM at the Tryp Sabana Hotel...I just want to drop you a thank you note for taking the time and writing your nice review...is very important for us to hear our guests are checking out happy, feeling they got good value for their money. On behalf of the entire staff, thanks again and we hope to serve you in the near future.

San Jose
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I was upgraded to a Premium suite. A really big room, comfortable bed with a new chocolate awaiting me on the pillow daily. Great view of the city from the window, helpful staff at reception. Overall, one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in.
With that in mind, a few things to consider - the location is right in the city, which is not a safe place to hang around at night, there are also drunk teenagers around on an almost daily basis, so if exiting the hotel - it's usually straight to a taxi. so location-wise, it could have been in a better environment.
Also, most staff, like most people in San Jose, don't really know English. The people at reception however, do speak it, so it's not really an issue.
Overall, I very much enjoyed my time in the hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Hola! thank you very much for your review, I´m happy to hear you had a great time with us.

I would only like to comment that is not exactly true that on a daily baisis you see drunk teenagers around the hotel..it´s true there is a nightclub close to the hotel but we don´t see drunk teenagers every night...this is my appreciation. But again, thanks for your nice review.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I read the reviews about the noise but booked it anyway. Not an easy hotel to get to, surrounded by one way streets it took me two pass by to figure it out. Secured parking and close to downtown. Check in was easy, restaurant/bar was nice (free breakfast). Got a room with a crappy view of an old building but it wasn't on the street side but at night I still could hear the traffic noise but it didn't keep me awake. It is probably a must to ask for a non street front room though. Room was good, bed was good and I would probably stay here again. It's by Wyndham but not the quality you would expect from Wyndham in the states. Paid a little less than $100 for one night.

Room Tip: Away from the street
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wbailey6
Greetings from San José,

Thanks for your review...we have a couple of rooms that look to an old building you are right, there´s not much we can do. Please note that we´re a different category from Wyndham Hotels, we´re a tier brand below Wyndham Hotels, this is the reason you pay only $100 instead of the regular higher prices of a Wyndham Hotel. Thank you very much for your review.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed here twice during our recent trip to Costa Rica and we were excited given the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately, on both stays we encountered a number of problems. First, we arranged a transfer from the San Jose airport through the hotel. When we arrived, it took us nearly 15 minutes to find the man holding a sign with my name. The man then told us that our flight was very delayed, which is was not, and that we had to wait for awhile. After another 15 minutes, a van pulled up and the sign man ushered us into it. As the sign holder was closing the van door, he pressured us for a tip, even though he wasn’t even though he hadn’t done anything for us. This all seemed quite suspicious. The driver then crazily drove us to the wrong hotel; he unloaded all of our luggage onto a luggage cart and a bellman started to bring it inside while we plead with the driver to take us to the correct hotel. The bellman of the hotel eventually understood us and directed the driver to the Tryp Sabana. When we arrived, the driver did not know the agreed upon rate for our transfer.

Then we discovered the enormous problem with this hotel, a problem that has been mentioned many times before – the noise. We got literally 45 minutes of sleep because of it. The windows are paper thin and we endured the insufferable noise from the street and nearby businesses the entire night. We were so glad to only spend one night in room 712, a premium city view room on the front side of the hotel.

When we arrived for our second one-night stay, we immediately requested a quiet room. They said they were all full, so there weren’t any rooms on the back side of the hotel. Eventually, after some pleading, they assigned us to room 620. This room was one of the worst I’ve ever encountered during my travels. It was long, but extremely narrow and dark, the bed was in its own tiny alcove, and it was noisy, very noisy. Looking out the window, we realized where the noise was coming from – two enormous air vents right below the room that produced a constant droning sound. I have uploaded a picture of the vents.

The room only had a queen sized bed even though we had reserved a king, so we went back down to the front desk to be assigned another. They said they had us down for a queen, even though the paperwork I showed them said king. They said it was probably a computer error, but they did not apologize or try to offer any recourse. The hotel, they said, was fully booked up. After much arguing, they eventually located an accessible king room, number 621. It too was on the back side of the hotel directly over the air vents, so it was loud, but at least the noise of the air vents was more bearable through the night than the street noise.

When we came back to the front desk before we left, a woman argued that the reason we had been assigned a queen room was because we had reserved two rooms and not cancelled the reservation for one of them. I replied that I had, in fact, called the hotel as per their cancellation policy over 24 hours in advance to tell them that we would only need one room instead of two (one member of our party flew home early). She proceeded to argue in a condescending tone that we had not cancelled the correct way. How is calling the hotel to cancel a reservation the wrong way?!? She said I should have gone to the website to cancel. I told her that I had tried that, but because since both rooms were on the same reservation, I could not cancel just one of the rooms; I would have had to cancel both rooms and redo the reservation. She argued that the website was separate from the hotel, meaning that reservation changes have to be made through the website. After much arguing, they agreed not to charge us for the other room.

We were looking forward to the complimentary breakfast, but when we went the first time, they had very few options available. I guess it was too early. The second time, it was nearly impossible to find servers at breakfast to replenish items that ran out and I found numerous jam containers that were open yet put back with the new ones for reuse.

In conclusion, this hotel is reasonably clean and well-appointed with potential, but the low price does not make it worth the distress.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back side of the hotel over the air vents are still noisy, but its better than nois...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DrewP988
Dear DrewP988,

I´m very sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience in our hotel, I assure you this is not normal. I will immediately start an investigarion and see what happen and why your vacation was so negative in our hotel. We are already working on the noise......

I hope there´s something we can do to make your experience a little less negative..if you can email me at eoreamuno@trypsabana.com so we can communicate direct.