Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Orbitz.comUS$269
TravelocityUS$269
ZenHotels.comUS$270
1,913 results
All reviews el patio costa rica patio restaurant central location pedestrian street center of san jose front desk staff free breakfast the hotel is clean enjoyed my stay last night pura vida downtown tours country
Selected filters
Reviewed July 26, 2022 via mobile

The room we had was a filthy closet size with a bed filling out the room.
We complained and were told that there were no other rooms available.
This was our final stop in Costa Rica. Our experience in visiting the country was otherwise wonderful.

Room tip: Do not stay there
Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Javier Josue Rivera Aguilera, Otros at Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2022

Hello Daniel,

First thank you for the rating, we regret the situation presented, however I comment that we have more room types available, you could take into account for the next stay. Best regards

Reviewed July 23, 2022

My impressions:
1. If you want to experience downtown San Jose, this place is walking distance to most of the attractions.
2. Many shops and restaurants nearby.
3. Service was good overall but the hotel restaurant, which is beautiful, was understaffed especially during peak hours.
4. Room was good enough but not five-star quality.
5. The pedestrian entrance to the hotel is through the restaurant.
6. On the fourth floor, it was quiet.

Date of stay: July 2022
Javier Josue Rivera Aguilera, Otros at Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2022

Good morning,

Thank you for the opinion and rating of the Hotel and Restaurant, we are glad to know that it was a pleasant experience. We continue to improve day by day to offer the best quality service to all our guests.

We hope you visit us again soon. Best regards

Reviewed June 11, 2022

No view of my room 414, but large and clean. Had about 80 TV stations – a few in English like HBO and AXN – shows like Criminal Minds/NICS. The room had a good-size safe, but no fridge. Wifi worked fine and quiet room. Toiletries -shampoo and hair conditioner – in individual containers. Found an ice maker on the 5th floor. Overall the hotel was a bit on the ‘tired’ side. Our tour group had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. Dinner portions were huge, but food was just so-so, Some of the pizzas were ok and some underdone, but we were a large group. I asked for lemonade and got some drink that tasted like a mint julep. For breakfast you have 4 choices - I did the rice/beans, eggs, cheese toast (no butter or jam), and then they have a small glass of OJ. On a central street with lots of shops and fast food.

Date of stay: June 2022
Javier Josue Rivera Aguilera, Otros at Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2022

Good morning, dear Brad

Thank you for your review of the hotel. It helps us to continue to improve and provide excellent service to our guests. Thank you also for the comments we will take steps to improve for one of them.

Reviewed June 3, 2022

I wish I had read some of the reviews I've seen. I certainly experienced the musky room smell others have noted (first time I've ever had to buy air freshener for a room) and it's pretty bad when you can leave trash by the door for 3 days. (only a single trash can in the bathroom didn't help).

Hallways are shabby and dirty (I wouldn't want to walk barefoot on them). Room was as pictured however "balcony" was a joke.

Room keys failed to work twice and when I asked for cleaning the front desk attendant said I had attitude and threatened to kick me out. He backed down when I asked for my money back (only way to deal with bullies is to confront them).

Entering through the carport after hours is scuzzy, on site restaurant is dreadful. if free breakfast is important stay elsewhere.

If you're visiting a day or two to see the downtown sites it'd would be tolerable but there are likely far better maintained and managed options out there in the same price range.

Date of stay: June 2022
Javier Josue Rivera Aguilera, Ventas at Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2022

Hello, dear Richard

We appreciate your review of the hotel.

We regret the experience you had during your stay at the hotel, we will follow up and take measures in general so that this does not happen again, as our goal is that our guests always have an excellent service.

Reviewed May 29, 2022 via mobile

This is a good central location for seeing the San Jose city center and a variety of sights. Parking was protected and free, definitely a plus. The hotel was clean and the room was serviceable. This was a decent value choice. Overall the hotel really did not have much “ambiance” to it. If I had this to do over, I might have given Azotea Calle 7 Hotel a bit more consideration. I did not see the rooms at Azotea, but the lobby definitely has the ambience and they have a great rooftop bar. Azotea is just around the corner from Balmoral so also has a great location. I’m sure Azotea was more expensive, but, as I’ve said, worth consideration.

Room tip: They had a very small enclosed, gated parking area which was first come first served so if full, you may have to park elsewhere.
Date of stay: May 2022
Trip type: Travelled solo
Javier Josue Rivera Aguilera, Ventas at Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2022

Good morning, dear Art

Grateful for your review about the hotel, this motivates us to continue offering the best service to our guests.