1,953 results
All reviews beautiful hotel garden suite victorian mansion rooftop jacuzzi one night costa rica boutique hotel last night an oasis beautiful room family suite next morning standard room would highly recommend this hotel small hotel central market gold museum
Reviewed January 15, 2013

An oasis in a rather rundown location, the hotel is an old colonial style building magnificently restored. The rooms are decent, beds very comfortable and the restaurant serves up excellent food. Breakfasts are very good. Only 15mins in a cab from the airport this is the perfect place to start or end your journey around Costa Rica.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is good and the staff is gentle (although I asked the staff for a restaurant recommendation and they sent me to a snack bar).
However, there is nothing to do in San Jose and the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, with no swimming pool, sauna, gym or any other facility that could make the time run faster. Don't waste your time staying there. If you need to stay in San Jose, go to Escazu (the town nearby) and stay at Intercontinental Hotel. At least, Intercontinental has a great spa and is next to a good shopping mall named Multiplaza Escazu.

2  Thank Lilian F
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I ended our 11 day Costa Rica vacation by staying at the Grano de Oro for one night. Everyone we encountered at the hotel was gracious and accommodating. When we checked in the desk person made cab arrangements for the next morning having us pre-pay to avoid early morning problems. We had a fresh fruit basket in our clean beautiful room with birthday greetings. After our extensive tour of Costa Rica relaxing in one of the hot tubs on the roof was very welcome and relaxing. The restaurant atmosphere was elegant, but also unpretentious and friendly. My wife and I are both chefs and we enjoyed a superb dining experience. The next morning at 6am our cab was warmed up and waiting. All in all a wonderful way to end our vacation. Thank you

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K-man616
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I kept fantasizing that Teddy Roosevelt had to have come to this place when it was a plantation house. It is truly a beautiful hotel, immaculately clean, with wonderful staff across the board. My husband and I stayed here our first night in Costa Rica, arriving too late to begin our planned excursion north. And then from our second excursion on the Caribbean coast, we returned to the Grano de Oro to stay the night before we were to fly back home to NY. This time we could avail ourselves of the restaurant for dinner. We tried small plates and everything was superbly prepared as well as impeccably flavored. Our waiter, Carlos Castro, was charming as ever and even though we didn't order dessert, gave us a couple of amazingly delicious bonbons to complete our meal. It was a truly splendid way to end our trip.

Room Tip: Our rooms were in two different locations and they were both excellent.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here for one night on the tail end of our journey to Costa Rica. The grounds were a former plantation house converted to a hotel, and if you take a look at the collages they have posted, you can see what an amazing transformation the hotel has undergone in the last 20 years. Our room was wonderful, complete with a little grotto and fountain. The rooftop lounge area was very nice- we were happy to utilize the hot tub after all our Costa Rican adventures.
We ate dinner at the restaurant on premises, and it was a very classy, delicious way to end our trip.
Definitely recommend this hotel (and restaurant) if you're going to be in San Jose. Wonderful!

1  Thank Brian K