“A true oasis”

Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“A true oasis”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stayed here only 1 night and it's a shame, because I really liked it here. Good atmosphere, great friendly staff, clean rooms and comfortable communal spaces. The transport to the airport arranged through Colours Oasis was rather expensive and the breakfast was continental. But besides that a great place to return to one day.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LiveLikeTom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Leuven
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Just visited Costa Rica for a few weeks and really enjoyed my stay at Colours. The staff is extremely friendly, had a very charming room and I can advise the good food. The bar was a ideal place to meet a lot of other nice and interesting guests.
Don't look any further ... this is the ideal place to stay !

For the dutch-speaking reader : een echte aanrader !

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Rudi3000
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We recently spent a night at Colours on our way to the Osa Peninsula. The staff was very pleasant, the rooms cozy, and we greatly enjoyed meeting the other guests at the hotel. Several of us sat at the bar and chatted, then had dinner together at a local restaurant. The bartender, cook and hotel staff are all great. This hotel is located in a rather busy location, so if you have issues with some traffic noise take note. Also, the rooms are quirky and fun, not high-end hotel style rooms with granite and marble. Overall a nice experience we would definitely repeat.

Room Tip: We had one of the rooms with kitchenette which appeared much larger than some of the others.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kellysells
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I booked our stay here twice on hotels.com - and insisted/confirmed that there be two beds since I was traveling with a friend. When we arrived, they showed us to a room with a queen bed and a futon sofa. I was not happy with this - fortunately, the staff (who is very nice) upgraded us both times. I don't know if this would have happened during "high" season (we traveled "off" season). The jacuzzi was always tepid - yuck! The place is cute and eccentric - all the rooms are very different, but nice enough. I recommend eating at Jettsi's (sp?) just around the corner - wonderful fried chicken!
The staff will take care of you if they can - trust them for taxis, etc.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michael R
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights and had a wonderful time. The staff was most helpful and the room was very clean and charming. This is a great place to hunker down when flying in late or leaving early out of San Jose or for a nice place to stay in and explore the city of San Jose. The hotel is located on the west side the city and is a short cab ride to many attractrions, bars and resturant. Breakfast includes coffee, fresh orange juice, freash fruit, cereal, toast and eggs of any style. They have a nice cozy bar to hangout, have drinks and just chill. Also the hotel staff will help arrange about any type of tour that you desire. During my stay the hotel help assist and set up a white water rafting tour and had the time of my life. The tour company picked me up at the hotel and transfered me back to my hotel after the rafting tour was over.
I will return to Costa Rica and plan to stay her at the Colour Oasis in the future. Thank you Colours for making my first trip to Costa Rica a trip that I will never forget!!!

Room Tip: I don't think you will go wrong with any of the room choices. I took a peek at several rooms and...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Jeff G
Lafayette, California
Reviewed 6 October 2011

My husband & I stayed there in a recent trip to Costa Rica. The room was very cramped - the king bed basically taking up most of the bedroom. The step-down shower was very slippery due to the tile; almost hurt myself. Shower was old & mil-dewy. Just don't expect much from a room point of view. This place was "converted" from like 3 houses (as it was explained to us by the owner, James). The window in our room had no actual glass (only a blind) on it and was open to an adjacent room that had only Styrofoam blocking the window. That was fine the 1st night after a late arrival since nobody was there. But the 2nd night 2 lesbians checked in and were up chatting until like 1 AM with total disregard to neighboring rooms .. it made for tough sleeping. The "included" breakfast was the typical stuff and was made to order (eggs, fruit, pancakes, juice, coffee etc.). The front desk guy who was also the acting waiter/bartender (can't recall his name) had no clue how to make a Martini -- and all alcohol is "measured" .. so very expensive for what you get. So stick to Beer. The central area of the place next to the pool made for nice socializing and we met some really nice guys over the 2 nights. All in all a decent enough place to stay if you're held over in San Jose during a trip.

Room Tip: Check your room first to make sure any windows in the room have GLASS in them.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, Virginia
Reviewed 2 October 2011

I visit Costa Rica twice a year, this trip for 18 days. Stayed 16 nights at Colours, with a break in the middle to travel to the southern part of the country.
There is no other gay establishment in the central valley/San Jose area that comes close to equaling what Colours offers. An on site full service restaurant and bar, gym facilities, pool, hot tub, travel services, all can be had on site---or many restaurants, stores, supermarkets and the weekly feria all within a few blocks. And the downtown nightlife-bars, discos, etc are a short $8 cab ride away---the other place is a $20 trip each way--ugh!
James, Liz, Armando, Javier, Waldo, David, Leo and Johan are all like one big family, always there to help whenever needed.
Great location, nice clean affordable to lux rooms, great food, many choices for breakfast, travel service, PLUS a never ending stream of guests coming and going---I met so many new friends from the world over and revisited friends we'd met on our last stay.
As I said before, There is NO OTHER place in the San Jose area for the gay traveler to consider---Colours Oasis Resort in the first and only choice. Five Stars!!!
Thanks everyone, we will see you in the spring.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo