“Good location, price;poor management”
Review of Hotel Doral

Hotel Doral
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel Doral
Ranked #72 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This place is undergoing remodeling. Too bad management didn´t mention, when I paid for the room, that the restaurant and bar would not be open, for the duration of my stay, there was no hot water for 4 out of 5 days, no cable TV, and the phone system to the room did not work for days. While I will admit I am more comfortable in the country than city, I was looking forward to exploring downtown San Jose. The first night, I was kept awake by never ending artifical bird sounds, as people walked the crossways on the streets below. Then there were the pistol shots the next night. When I asked to be transferred to an interior room that the staff indicated was very peaceful, I found out that it was facing a disco that played till early morning. When I spoke with the manager, he always had an excuse, along with a smile and shake of the shoulders. When I asked for an additional discount he pointed out that surrounding hotels were much more expensive, and he was right. The only bright spot was a lady named Irma, who works there was very helpful when my phone had problems. Regarding the hot water, I learned that first the tank was broken, then the person who turns on the hot water waited until 9 am one day, which meant no hot water for hours, and 8 am the last day. So don´t expect a hot shower till about 10 a.m. Since I live where there is not hot water, this was a real bummer. When my room wasn´t cleaned I asked why and the response was, "we don´t clean unless you ask for it", but this was never made clear beforhand. Also, often the lights in the dark hallways were out in the evening, and I had to keep going back downstairs to ask them to put the hall lights on, so I sould see the key area and get in the room.

Room Tip: Find another hotel, or check ahead of time to ensure the cable TV, phone system, bar, restaurant and...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have stayed here on two different trips to Costa Rica. The hotel is very clean and very safe, great staff and great breakfast included. I am going back next Nov. and plan on a week in the hotel. I had to mark a date to post this, my stay was a few years ago. The hotel is several blocks from the $$$ Grand Hotel, the national opra house, central market and bus station. I have walked to everything I needed to see and more from the hotel. Back pack and all to the bus station, no problem.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I have been here couple of times, with my girlfriend and it was always: Clean, nice and the customer service is very good!! So the price is good! US$45 x night. If you want to go I recommend the units #505 or #506.

I will Back!!!!!! =)

Room Tip: If you want to try to reser the unist #505 or #506 city view, you will have a great view of the &quo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rusbell1989
Reviewed 17 October 2012

After reading the positiv reviews on Tripadvisor I decided to check the hotel out.
It's a 1960 setting and since those days nothing was renovated. The plus was hot water in the bathroom and large rooms. The negatives, stinky towels, see through sheets, everthing is dingy, dirty looking and nedds some paint, the TV has some local channels and that's it so I missed the presidential debate. The beds gave me the creeps. For $ 10 more you can find decent Hotels with all amenities. I will never go back.

Room Tip: Don't take a room facing the street as you won't sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2012

friendly hotel right in the middle of town. a bit dated in appearance but clean, showers are excellent, no AC, wifi every floor lobby. street side rooms are fairly noisy. 5th floor breakfast room with panoramic views! great value.

Room Tip: avoid street side rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This is a review for my second visit to Hotel Doral.
The hotel is a five storey building, located on a pedestrian street with many shops, restaurants and coffee shops. It is within an easy walking distance to the Parque Central, National Theatre and two blocks from Parque La Merced. Most of the bus stations to popular destinations are also within a walking distance for those who don’t mind to walk a little. I felt safe walking around in the area even in the evening.
Our rooms were connecting, large, with two single beds, two night stands, a desk with a chair, a ceiling fan (no A/C – not needed) and a large wardrobe. It had a TV as well. The reception claims to have a cable TV, but I found it to be a bit useless as it only had few good channels and all of them in Spanish. But this hotel caters mostly to locals. The bathroom was large, bright and clean. It had a shower (no bathtub). The hotel has real hot water system and no electric water heaters. My suite was fully renovated, bright with light color tiles on floors. The linen and towels were in good condition and clean. The common areas and my room were clean and cleaned daily. It was really quiet at all times.
Before you settle-in you should ask to see several rooms as some are better than others. Some rooms are renovated fully, some only partially and some not at all. Our “internal rooms” (not facing the street) had a very strong Wi-Fi. Not all rooms have Wi-Fi. The hotel signs say that Wi-Fi is available only in lobbies. But rooms close to the lobbies have strong Wi-Fi as well. Although across an elevator, I had no problem with any noise in my room. Breakfast and safety boxes are available as well.
The staff was very hospitable, knowledgeable and helpful. The two men in reception spoke good English. There is a night security guard and very friendly cleaning ladies. The rates I found very competitive as well. I can highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Inside rooms have strong Wi-Fi. My favorite room 401.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank povetron
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Hotel Doral was a great find. The hotel was clean, and the rooms were very nice for the price ($30/night). There was cable TV, a huge armoir, a writing desk and a nightstand in the room. Recently remodeled bathrooms. Doral is only two short blocks from one of the main parks downtown, and the Teatro Nacional. Both of the guys that worked shifts at the front desk were very kind, professional, and helpful! I would definitely come back to this place...its really not worth staying at one of the large overpriced tourist-trap hotels when you have a comfy, well-located spot like Hotel Doral. Also, I booked online in advance - it was very easy.

Room Tip: They showed me a couple vacant rooms and I picked the one I liked the best.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo