See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This place is undergoing remodeling. Too bad management didn´t mention, when I paid for the room, that the restaurant and bar would not be open, for the duration of my stay, there was no hot water for 4 out of 5 days, no cable TV, and the phone system to the room did not work for days. While I will admit I am more comfortable in the country than city, I was looking forward to exploring downtown San Jose. The first night, I was kept awake by never ending artifical bird sounds, as people walked the crossways on the streets below. Then there were the pistol shots the next night. When I asked to be transferred to an interior room that the staff indicated was very peaceful, I found out that it was facing a disco that played till early morning. When I spoke with the manager, he always had an excuse, along with a smile and shake of the shoulders. When I asked for an additional discount he pointed out that surrounding hotels were much more expensive, and he was right. The only bright spot was a lady named Irma, who works there was very helpful when my phone had problems. Regarding the hot water, I learned that first the tank was broken, then the person who turns on the hot water waited until 9 am one day, which meant no hot water for hours, and 8 am the last day. So don´t expect a hot shower till about 10 a.m. Since I live where there is not hot water, this was a real bummer. When my room wasn´t cleaned I asked why and the response was, "we don´t clean unless you ask for it", but this was never made clear beforhand. Also, often the lights in the dark hallways were out in the evening, and I had to keep going back downstairs to ask them to put the hall lights on, so I sould see the key area and get in the room.

Room Tip: Find another hotel, or check ahead of time to ensure the cable TV, phone system, bar, restaurant and hot water are all functioning. Ask to be in a room far from the disco if possible. Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I have stayed here on two different trips to Costa Rica. The hotel is very clean and very safe, great staff and great breakfast included. I am going back next Nov. and plan on a week in the hotel. I had to mark a date to post this, my stay was a few years ago. The hotel is several blocks from the $$$ Grand Hotel, the national opra house, central market and bus station. I have walked to everything I needed to see and more from the hotel. Back pack and all to the bus station, no problem.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have been here couple of times, with my girlfriend and it was always: Clean, nice and the customer service is very good!! So the price is good! US$45 x night. If you want to go I recommend the units #505 or #506.

I will Back!!!!!! =)

Room Tip: If you want to try to reser the unist #505 or #506 city view, you will have a great view of the " La merced church"
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rusbell1989
Reviewed October 17, 2012

After reading the positiv reviews on Tripadvisor I decided to check the hotel out.
It's a 1960 setting and since those days nothing was renovated. The plus was hot water in the bathroom and large rooms. The negatives, stinky towels, see through sheets, everthing is dingy, dirty looking and nedds some paint, the TV has some local channels and that's it so I missed the presidential debate. The beds gave me the creeps. For $ 10 more you can find decent Hotels with all amenities. I will never go back.

Room Tip: Don't take a room facing the street as you won't sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2012

friendly hotel right in the middle of town. a bit dated in appearance but clean, showers are excellent, no AC, wifi every floor lobby. street side rooms are fairly noisy. 5th floor breakfast room with panoramic views! great value.

Room Tip: avoid street side rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends