“Fantastic hotel in San Jose”

Apartotel La Sabana
Ranked #3 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic hotel in San Jose”
Reviewed 1 January 2016

I stayed here at the beginning and end of my group tour, booked myself after doing some research. And I am glad I did, as opposed to staying at the hotel that was at the start of my tour because Apartotel La Sabana was 100x better.

The hotel --

- The complimentary breakfast was amazing. The ladies who cook and serve the breakfast were so great: their gallo pinto was delicious. Pancakes, delicious. Everything, delicious. The juice options were also a good variety with even a mango juice. There's even yogurt and cereals. Loved the breakfasts I had here.
- Filtered water available. Because on this trip I brought a water bottle, I was able to keep filling up my bottle with the water at the hotel and that was much appreciated.
- Clean rooms. Also nice that there was a refrigerator in the room. There was also an old school AC in the window but I never used it because it was cooler weather while I was there. I also liked that there was recycling in the room (I'm big on reducing/reusing/recycling).
- The bathroom's shower had a shallow edge around it and a curtain that went around the shower in the corner. Because of the set up, it was easy for water to spray out while showering as the curtain didn't really 100% contain the water so after a shower, I often found a little puddle outside of the shower area.
- Complimentary airport shuttle is an awesome perk. I didn't have to worry about booking myself an Interbus or getting ripped off by a taxi driver or anything. And I came late at night so it was really great to just get out of the airport, find someone with a sign with my name on it an then go with them (but it's a shared van service so you have to wait until all the parties are accounted for and in the van).
- The pool area is really nice. I didn't swim but I found it relaxing to lounge by the pool, listening to the waterfall sounds and enjoying the weather. There are also towels by the pool for use which I didn't realize at first.

The location --
This was perfect for me because it was near the joining hotel for my tour. So it worked for me on that front. Around the area, there's not that much to do within walking distance other than going to the park across the street. But there are a few restaurants nearby that are walkable. I ended up going to Rosti Pollos right around the corner twice on my stay. I walked around the area to explore and there's not much shopping or sight-seeing options but there is a museum by the park. So really, I ended up spending most of my time walking around the park and hanging by the hotel pool.

All in all, if you are starting your Costa Rica trip in San Jose, I highly recommend going to Apartotel La Sabana. Definitely a LOT better than similar priced hotels in the area.

Green Features: loved it. I appreciate that this hotel tries to minimize impact on the environment and offers recycling (both plastics/paper/etc) as well as organic recycling.
  • Stayed December 2015, travelled with friends
SofiaHon, Gerente at Apartotel La Sabana, responded to this review, 3 January 2016
Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!! I definitely agree with you: the ladies in the cafeteria have great personalities and are also GREAT cooks!! We have two rotating hot dishes every morning, and our lovely cooks put their heart and soul into designing them. They pick a traditional recipe and give it a personal twist, we call it Tico Fusion! Hope to surprise you with a new creation during your next visit!

So glad you got to enjoy La Sabana Park, it is a lovely park, perfect for soaking Tico Urban Life at its best. You can find families picnicking and joggers training all day long. It´s specially beautiful during February, when many trees bloom with multicolored flowers. One of my favorite spots in the city. We feel so lucky to be a block away from it :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write, we hope you had a wonderful new year, best regards!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
Reviewed 29 December 2015

Nice stay the 2 bedroom suite is small but it got the job done. The stove needs to be updated so you can cook on it. They had some nice restaurants nearby and a subway sandwich shop and a convenience store right down the street.

Stayed December 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SofiaHon, Gerente at Apartotel La Sabana, responded to this review, 31 December 2015
Thank you for your review! So glad you enjoyed your stay with us! 2016 will be the year we are to renew all our apartment kitchens. Hopefully next time you visit you will be able to enjoy them! Although current kitchens are all in very good condition and operating well, we would like them to look a bit more modern so that we can offer a better experience to our guests! Thank you for pointing it out, we are very excited about this new project and hope to finish their installation before October 2016.

Thank you very much for your time and hope you have a wonderful new year. Best regards!
SAN LUIS OBISPO
Reviewed 29 December 2015

The family apartments was awesome (besides the tiny bathroom). The kitchenette had all utensils and kitchen items needed, a fridge and microwave and a table and chairs to eat at. The staff was very friendly and they are an eco friendly hotel. I took a star off because of the tiny bathrooms, the wifi wasn't very good and although it was near a cool, big park the neighborhood wasn't that awesome.

Stayed December 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you very much for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed our family apartment! It was designed to offer a warm and loving space, so that families can be confortable and also find convenience in the fully equipped kitchen and large sitting area, perfect for a table game together or for sharing pictures taken during your tropical adventures in Costa Rica! So sorry you found our bathroom smaller that what you expected, please remember, all information on apartment sizes can be found on our website, including a diagram with size quotes for every room type. We believe in transparency; you can be assured that all publicity, photos and specific information on our facilities and services are 100% real.

Thank you so much for your time and hope you have a wonderful new year, best regards!
Summerland, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2015

We were so pleased with this hotel. Pickup and drop off at the airport went really smoothly. Really helpful staff and the common areas as well as the rooms we had were really clean. Lovely plantings and pool area. Breakfast was really good (unlike many breakfast-included hotels). Close to a few easy to walk to restaurants and the big city park so we could stretch our legs after our long flight. Internet a little slow, but nothing to be concerned about. Felt really safe, and we were treated like really valued guests!

Stayed December 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your review!! You ARE very valued guests!! It is very clear to us, that we are here to make a difference in our planet, environment, community and specially be a positive part of a unique travel experience for our guests! So happy you could feel the love and care we put into every detail to make your stay a great experience!

We are so proud of our official artist, my mom!! Miu Kan started her career as a painter some 20 years ago, and has evolved into a unique and strong artist. All paintings in rooms and common areas are done by her. My personal favorites are her water color works, they are truly beautiful. So glad you enjoyed them, she will be thrilled to know!

Mosaic work and mural art around the pool area and in the cafeteria are the masterpieces of Patricia Barrantes. Many of our guests say they sense a hint of Gaudi in her work. She is a truly remarkable artist and we are lucky to have so much of her work around the hotel.

Hope you can visit again very soon, hopefully we will have new pieces of art for you to enjoy, best regards!
Ourimbah, Australia
Reviewed 25 December 2015

Comfortable hotel with a great breakfast! Friendly staff and nice pool area.
Close to a few nice restaurants and the park. Only a 30 minute walk to the main area of San Jose.
Pool was a bit chilly but refreshing.

Stayed December 2015, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you very much for your review!! So glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We are so lucky to have the perfect location. Right on the outskirts of San José, we are close to downtown, but away from all the noise and traffic. Downtown, beautiful La Sabana park and many restaurants are within walking distance. It is definitely a great spot to explore the city and soak up Tico Urban life!

Thank you for your time and hope you have a great beginning of the year, best regards!
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 24 December 2015

I have stayed in a few other hotels in San Jose and I enjoy this one the best. I have no complaints. The room that i get is like a little apartment and it overlooks the pool. The staff from the front desk to the maids are all very friendly and the ladies cooking breakfast in the morning put together a wonderful breakfast. I especially enjoy the special authentic dishes that they make.

Stayed December 2015, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your lovely review!! So glad you enjoy our breakfast!! The ladies in the cafeteria put their minds and hearts into designing a unique breakfast menu. They take a traditional dish and give it a personal twist, we call it Tico Fusion! So happy you appreciate their effort, they will be so excited to know you enjoyed their creations!

Hopefully, we will have new additions to the menu for your next visit. Hope you had a wonderful new year, best regards!
Reviewed 22 December 2015 via mobile

The hotel itself is an older cement and box style construction with rather dark and uncharming rooms. Having said that - everything else is great.

This is a very good budget hotel a few km from the centre of San Jose where staff really go out of thier way. Breakfast is hearty and well cooked. Great effort is made to keep highest environmental sustainability standards.

If you have time; explore the area. A morning walk in La Sabana park is a good opportunity to see a bit of every day Costa Rica. The modern art museum next to the park is highly recommended.

Stayed December 2015, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review! So glad you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience our service and care we put into everything we do!

Sustainability is very important to us! We believe we can truly make a positive impact in the environment and our community. Correct administration of resources and minimization of waste are our main environmental focus. On the other hand, we help our community through educational programs for our staff and also by supporting rural schools in the Osa Peninsula. Education is the key to freedom!

Hope you had a chance to visit our Sustainable Shop, where everything is hand crafted by an economically challenged group, made with materiales collected from nature or using recycled materials, with minimal impact to the environment. We hope our guests join in on our efforts and are grateful for their participation!

We will be happy to have the privilege of serving you again! Have a great day and best regards!