“Spend the morning there -” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spirogyra Butterfly Garden

Spirogyra Butterfly Garden
Ranked #42 of 115 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: 30 species of butterflies flutter around this magical garden.
Lexington, Kentucky
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Spend the morning there -”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

Fairly well run and with a gracious guide. It's a little hard to find. Taxi drivers didn't know where it was, but we find that everywhere. No beer or any kind of alcohol is available in their small restaurant, but there were soft drinks, coffee, and water there. Las mariposas were beautiful!

Visited November 2011
1 Thank benbutton

Portland, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“interesting!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

This small little butterfly garden is piece of paradise in the big city. The Sunday morning staff (one teenager) managed to bridge the language barrier to give us enough information to get started. I can't say that we learned a lot, but we certainly enjoyed spending an hour with the all the butterflies, some toads and turtles, and one giant brown tarantula (who wasn't supposed to be there)!!
This place is worth the well effort it takes to find it (take a cab), and the $7 admission price!

Visited November 2011
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful Garden!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

I would definitely recommend this to travelers on their trip to San Jose. Beautiful garden that's a little on the small side. Tons and tons of butterflies, moths, and caterpillars.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank thevelvets
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Simply magical experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

It was such a surprise to find this lovely, quiet garden in the middle of San Jose, that I almost didn't believe it could be where they said it was. So I got a taxi to the garden (about $2) - although I walked back to my central hotel in about 15 minutes. I can't really do justice to the delight of experiencing the air full of butterfies of all colours and shapes and sizes. I sat still on a bench for a while and several came and perched on my arms. About the only thing missing from the experience was the perfect music - if I went back I would take an MP3 player with something classical.
I was greeted by a very friendly woman who explained the covered garden and the uncovered walk to the river that is also available (I enjoyed that too), and I was given material to identify the butterflies as I saw them. They also have a video and it was apparent that I could have a more 'scientific' experience if I wanted it, although personally I was content with a more sensory experience.
There was also a cafe which looked very pleasant, and if I had realised it was there beforehand I would have left more time to enjoy that too.
Later in my visit to Costa Rica I visited another butterfly garden just out of Jaco, but this one was very much better.

Visited March 2011