All reviewsbed dormcosta ricafree breakfastnext morningbedssleepspacyairportstopoversjcerealhallwaydowntown
Reviewed October 17, 2017 via mobile

It is a really friendly hostel where I felt comfortable and welcome from the beginning. The owner is a really nice person. The dorms are quite dark and the hostel is not too big but therefore there are some chillout areas. Also the location is great!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

You wouldn't find me staying at hostels too often. I don't mind an overnight stay in a hostel once in a while because the price is usually right. I typically like my own space.

In saying this, I found Hostel Van Gogh the perfect spot for me. I felt like I could have my space while also being around other people.

The building is super cool...old hardwood floors and other detailed wood work from a very long time ago. This makes for a nice feel as soon as you open the door from the street. It feels historic and it's also decorated with good vibes. High, open ceilings and the kitchen area was very large with a nice open ceiling to the sky so there was a nice cool airflow in the main area at night.

I stayed two nights. Once after getting into San Jose and then again as I was returning to San Jose from the Caribbean coast. The beds were comfortable,showers hot and a nice little breakfast was provided.

David, the host is a nice gentleman. He is very knowledgable and more than happy to help in any way.

The location was good. A quick walk to a wide variety of food as well as some of the main bus stations.

I will for sure return!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2017 via mobile

I was a solo female traveller, my first time in Latin America. I found this hostel to be very welcoming and chilled out. Defiantly a home from home. There are enough toilets and showers, which are reasonably clean, a fridge and cooking facilities available for use. The biggest plus point is the location, right in the heart of San Jose, I didn't feel on edge walking around this area alone and there are so many shops and restaurants nearby. The best hostel out of my stay in Costa Rica.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Steffi_B_90
Reviewed March 19, 2017

Nice Hostel in a very good location in central San Jose. Very helpful owner and knowledgeable about trip planning in Costa Rica. Spacey, but noisy rooms. Well refurbished place. Unfortunately facilities were lacking some daily maintenance, e.g. bathrooms cleaning, emptying trash bins. Pre-arrival questions via emails remained unanswered.

Room Tip: Dorm rooms, there are quiet and less quiet rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2016

I only stayed one night here at the hostel but it was really great. Ask David about the history and architecture of the building. He is super knowledgeable and very helpful. My only bad thing is that the beds were super squeaky, so you could hear every movement. We were not there late enough to enjoy the breakfast so I cannot comment on that. Overall great stay.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple