All reviews great location bed dorm visit san jose free breakfast next morning beds sleep airport stopover sj cereal hallway downtown
Reviewed December 18, 2017 via mobile

The most horrendous experience I have ever had. We went in to look at the room and used the toilet, the guy running the hostel then demanded very aggressively that we pay immediately and when we said we werent sure if we wanted to stay he pulled out a cap gun and a taser!! He threatened us with it if we didn't pay and then chased us out the hostel whilst shooting the gun in the air. The most terrifying experience. Stay far away.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank NattyPr
Reviewed November 3, 2017

Hostel Van Gogh is located in my favorite part of town, very close to the downtown, near the zoo and the parks. It's small, quiet and spacious. Free breakfast are a big perk. The staff/owner is very nice. Will come back for sure.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed October 17, 2017 via mobile

It is a really friendly hostel where I felt comfortable and welcome from the beginning. The owner is a really nice person. The dorms are quite dark and the hostel is not too big but therefore there are some chillout areas. Also the location is great!

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

You wouldn't find me staying at hostels too often. I don't mind an overnight stay in a hostel once in a while because the price is usually right. I typically like my own space.

In saying this, I found Hostel Van Gogh the perfect spot for me. I felt like I could have my space while also being around other people.

The building is super cool...old hardwood floors and other detailed wood work from a very long time ago. This makes for a nice feel as soon as you open the door from the street. It feels historic and it's also decorated with good vibes. High, open ceilings and the kitchen area was very large with a nice open ceiling to the sky so there was a nice cool airflow in the main area at night.

I stayed two nights. Once after getting into San Jose and then again as I was returning to San Jose from the Caribbean coast. The beds were comfortable,showers hot and a nice little breakfast was provided.

David, the host is a nice gentleman. He is very knowledgable and more than happy to help in any way.

The location was good. A quick walk to a wide variety of food as well as some of the main bus stations.

I will for sure return!

Date of stay: June 2017
Reviewed April 23, 2017 via mobile

I was a solo female traveller, my first time in Latin America. I found this hostel to be very welcoming and chilled out. Defiantly a home from home. There are enough toilets and showers, which are reasonably clean, a fridge and cooking facilities available for use. The biggest plus point is the location, right in the heart of San Jose, I didn't feel on edge walking around this area alone and there are so many shops and restaurants nearby. The best hostel out of my stay in Costa Rica.

Date of stay: July 2016