“Inca Real short trip” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #72 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Illinois
“Inca Real short trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I booked a package deal with American Airlines Vacations and the total cost for 5 days was 660.00. I figure that the airfare was 360 and the hotel wasa 300 - or 60 dollars a day, tax included. There was really no breakfast. My first day I was offered two slices of toast. In the comments it stated a continental breakfast was included. There was no fruit, sweet rolls but I was told if I paid 2 dollars the night before, I could get 2 eggs any way. I did find out The Dunn Inn right down the block had a restaurant; the place was very nice and I had breakfast there twice and dinner once. Also, it was very cheap. There are no accoustics in the lobby and a group of teenagers were very loud making it very uncomfortable to simply relax. If a person is looking to save money, The Inca Real would be fine. It was clean and for the most part, everyone was friendly. It is close to The Promanade where shopping is abundant. There was a dollar a day fee for the safe. There is not a number sequence, but a key given at the front desk to open and close the safe. I have been to San Jose several times and probably will not return - but it was cheap and located rather close to places of interest. Also, there was a cab driver who seemed to be there most of the time. The computers are old and slow also.

Room Tip: Maybe the higher levels would be quieter. I was on the first floor; however I did not see an elevato...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank 777Tahoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
Altdorf, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Friendly reception, smelly room, breakfast below the costarican standards. The main advantage is the central location, although there are also some strangely looking "gentlemans clubs" nearby.

Room Tip: WiFi does not reach the rooms on the first floor and further from the reception...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Goettingen, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

If People do Not care to be silent at night u will here every noise. The rooms are Not luxury but clean. The guys at the reception are Not exactly friendly but they will help you to find Ur Way to town or organize a Tour or Tell u where close restaurant is. I Stayed there for 3 nights. There are also 4 rooms close to The brakfast room in the ground floor. If u have one of these u will have a Short Night. The breakfast is simple but Good for 4 dollars: 2Toast, Butter, jam, eggs, Juice, Tee And coffee.

• Stayed March 2012
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I had made a reservation for a single room for my boyfriend and I on Expedia, but when I arrived at the hotel, the reservations were lost (I'm not entirely sure if that was my fault or theirs- but that was no big deal at first). The receptionist insisted that we could have the same price as our Expedia deal if we decided to stay. The room we were given had two beds, I immediately went down to reception and told them we only needed a single room; they said they had no more single rooms open, but again insisted that I could get the same price the single room on Expedia. When I went to checkout, the bill was much higher than I had expected. Our plan was to travel to Manuel Antonio for a few days, then come back to San Jose for a night to catch our flight back home. The concierge insisted that we would be refunded the extra money when we came back as long as we brought our receipt back. They made up some excuse that the extra charges for insurance, just in case something in the room was broken or missing. I was in a rush so I bought it and decided not to argue. When I came back a few days later with the receipt asking for the refund promised to me, they absolutely refused to give it to me. They were lying to me the whole time just to make a quick buck.

The hotel is near the city center, but at night beware because the street its on is a bit shady lined with seedy nightclubs and strip clubs. That being said, it is very noisy at night. There is a lot of noise from the city outside, and the acoustics in the hotel make it so you can hear anyone talking in the hallways, the lobby and people going in and out of their room. The rooms are decent, you standard no frills hotel room: bed, television, bathroom. The rooms do not have air conditioning, which might be a problem, but when we were there the weather was cool at night. "Breakfast" in included, but its horribly disappointing: two pieces of toast and some coffee. You can purchase a hard-boiled egg for $2 extra (which is a scam).

It is really frustrated being blatantly lied to and scammed. The hotel staff is untrustworthy, I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KayteeD
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

The room safes are not safe! My friend and l locked our valuables in the room safe after getting the safe key from reception. Alarm bells should have rang then! Went for a walk gone ten minutes and my friends underwater camera was gone. Unhelpful staff including the manger who reminded us that there is only one key, obviously not. Had to be one of the staff, the dodgy concierge, the maid we stumbled on when entering our room. Hell even the manager could be in on it. Youve been WARNED STAY AWAY! Reccomend the Holiday Inn same area reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Rcommend the Holiday Inn. Same area reasonably priced for piece of mind.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Rabbit094
washington dc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

This hotel is the WORST. I can't even say enough bad things about the condition of the room, or the quality of the staff.

First, we got in around 12ish, and they said the room wasn't ready - No problem. We went around the corner for lunch. Came back an hour later, and they said the room STILL wasn't ready - but would be done in another 5 minutes. We wait around an additional 10 minutes, and it's still not done, so we have to leave our luggage, and head out. When we get back two hours later, the pimply front desk kid finally tells us, yes - we can get in to the room..BUT THERE IS NO RUNNING WATER (yes - that means no working bathroom, shower, or sink). We are forced to spend the night with none of the above.

Second, the noise at the hotel is unbearable. It's basically like a hostel, and every slamming door as people come in and out, and chattering voices in the hallway and audible through closed doors. You will not be getting ANY sleep here.

Oh - and it mentions breakfast is included. Considering what they offer ( two pieces of hard toast), and serve yourself coffee and juice - you are better off buying breakfast anywhere else.

Finally - the staff is super shady. We saw a sign at their front desk that they offered a taxi service ( we were also considering taking interbus). When we asked what the price was - he said $20 to the airport ( a discount, since we were staying at the hotel). The morning of our departure, we wanted to leave at 10:30, but the front desk lied about the time (there are NO CLOCKS IN THE ROOM!!?), just to get us out of there early. As we were checking out - I confirmed the price of the taxi would be $20, and the pimply guy said yes. As we are dropped off at the airport, the taxi driver demands $30!!!! Unbeknownst to him, the hotel has LIED ABOUT THE PRICE OF THE CAB!!!!

This place is the worst. I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here, and also advise hotels.com to take it off their list!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank globetrotter2222
Panamá
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

This hotel has a good location: it is near to the main attractions in San Jose, so we could walk to go to the downtown.

I reserved a 3 beds room for 4 people (as the hotel web site shows), and asked for a room far from the stairs and from the front street because the noise. When we arrived to the Inca Real Hotel the manager told us that they gave our room to other guests!!

She gave us two doble rooms for the first night and a 3 beds rooms for the rest of our stay. Any of them were as I asked for, and the noise was so loud that my family and I didn't have a normal sleep.

Rooms do not have a good ventilation system, most of them have a window that goes to an interior patio where other guests use internet, smoke or just talk very loud. They do not have air conditioner, furniture is ok but old, towels are in bad shape and doors do not have a security lock.

If you stay at this hotel do not expect to have a breakfast (bread, coffee and eggs) before 7:45 a.m., so be sure to have something to eat if you decided to take an all day tour that can pick you up at 7:30 a.m.

I don't recommend this hotel for people who want to enjoy the city and rest at night.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family